Edit: Atlanta NOT pursuing Lamar

1 minute ago, Team archer said:

I cant wait till we not get Rodgers. The nerve of people thinking Carr wasnt good enough and then we end up with none of the big 3 cause Rodgers decides he wants to go to Space

Jimmy Garoppolo has better a career comp%, TD%, much better ypa and passer rating than Carr. The biggest mistake was ever considering Carr to be anything other than a little above average. The only thing he has going for him is durability. Rodgers was better than him last year at 39 years old with a broken thumb and a lesser supporting cast. Carr was not good enough, certainly not good enough for four years/$150M. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Jimmy Garoppolo has better a career comp%, TD%, much better ypa and passer rating than Carr. The biggest mistake was ever considering Carr to be anything other than a little above average. The only thing he has going for him is durability. Rodgers was better than him last year at 39 years old with a broken thumb and a lesser supporting cast. Carr was not good enough, certainly not good enough for four years/$150M. 

Carr, Garrapolo, and Tannehill all interchangeable. Carr is actually the least desirable taking contract into account considering he sucks in cold weather and has never won a playoff game. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

How is he in deep - or any - talks with Atlanta?

He's under contract with the Ravens, so unless Baltimore granted permission for him to talk to the Falcons, this either 

A - didn't actually happen

B - is blatant tampering

I'm leaning towards option A. 

It will be very interesting to see which tag they put on him. 

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Jimmy Garoppolo has.....

A bloated resume from playing for a very deep and well crafted team that made Mr. Irrelevant look like an All-Pro, and a now lengthy history of missing huge chunks of time to injury.

He IS the best choice is you want to see Zach Wilson start 8-12 games next year, I guess he's got that going for him.

He's going into his 10th year as an NFL player, whose entire rep is based on one single good season of play (2019).  He's basically only started most of a season only twice, in his entire 9 year career to-date.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Pac said:

Carr, Garrapolo, and Tannehill all interchangeable. Carr is actually the least desirable taking contract into account considering he sucks in cold weather and has never won a playoff game. 

People are still pretending there was some bidding war for Carr. lol  

• Upvote 1

In his first 5 full years as the tenured starter in SF, Jimmy G has played a complete season ONCE. 

The Jets can't afford to invest in a QB like that, IMO. 

PASS

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

It will be very interesting to see which tag they put on him. 

It'll be the exclusive one. They can get a pair of 1s from Atlanta either way; all it does is preclude Atlanta from doing an end-around.

The problem with the non-exclusive is they have to either match - which they may not be able to do so readily depending how it's structured (Atlanta has $45MM more cap space than Baltimore this year) - and aren't guaranteed any draft slot. 

Legitimately, just in theory what would happen if Atlanta traded their #8 pick down into the teens or even the 20s in exchange for a player,  then paid that player some bonus money so it's not so easily undone, and then a day/week/etc. after that they put in an offer sheet for a (non-exclusive) tagged Lamar Jackson, which Baltimore didn't or couldn't match? I think the league has some provision for those scenarios but don't know what it is. But in that case, Baltimore may end up with just a pair of draft picks in the 20s.

Anyway just to stay in control of the situation I'd be surprised if the exclusive tag wasn't used.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

A bloated resume from playing for a very deep and well crafted team that made Mr. Irrelevant look like an All-Pro, and a now lengthy history of missing huge chunks of time to injury.

He IS the best choice is you want to see Zach Wilson start 8-12 games next year, I guess he's got that going for him.

He's going into his 10th year as an NFL player, whose entire rep is based on one single good season of play (2019).  He's basically only started most of a season only twice, in his entire 9 year career to-date.

In his first 5 full years as the tenured starter in SF, Jimmy G has played a complete season ONCE. 

The Jets can't afford to invest in a QB like that, IMO. 

PASS

Like I said, the only thing Carr has over him is durability. When on the field, Garoppolo is better. Rodgers is rightfully their top choice over Carr, he’s better by a wide margin, but Garoppolo wouldn’t be the worst consolation prize. Worst case scenario would’ve been signing the slightly above average Carr to too large a contract only to watch him wither under the NY spotlight before shriveling away in the cold. 

• Haha 1

The Ravens are a quality, long-term vision organization.  They are not shooting their wad on a multi-year deal for Lamar Jackson.  He was great as a late first round draft pick and great franchised, but a long-term contract will backfire on them.

The Falcons, yearning for a spark and a return to Michael Vick, will take him.  

The Ravens will use the draft picks they receive to find a new QB, or compete for a FA.  

I preferred Carr while the Jets, starting in next year's draft, scoured the draft for a successor.  

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It'll be the exclusive one. They can get a pair of 1s from Atlanta either way; all it does is preclude Atlanta from doing an end-around.

The problem with the non-exclusive is they have to either match - which they may not be able to do so readily depending how it's structured (Atlanta has $45MM more cap space than Baltimore this year) - and aren't guaranteed any draft slot. 

Legitimately, just in theory what would happen if Atlanta traded their #8 pick down into the teens or even the 20s in exchange for a player,  then paid that player some bonus money so it's not so easily undone, and then a day/week/etc. after that they put in an offer sheet for a (non-exclusive) tagged Lamar Jackson, which Baltimore didn't or couldn't match? I think the league has some provision for those scenarios but don't know what it is. But in that case, Baltimore may end up with just a pair of draft picks in the 20s.

Anyway just to stay in control of the situation I'd be surprised if the exclusive tag wasn't used.

Agreed - there is a lot of speculation over them using the non-exclusive tag, but what you are saying makes sense. 

8 minutes ago, slats said:

Like I said, the only thing Carr has over him is durability. When on the field, Garoppolo is better. Rodgers is rightfully their top choice over Carr, he’s better by a wide margin, but Garoppolo wouldn’t be the worst consolation prize. Worst case scenario would’ve been signing the slightly above average Carr to too large a contract only to watch him wither under the NY spotlight before shriveling away in the cold. 

Besides THAT Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GangGreened said:

Still think he’s tagged but good. Let some other team make that mistake.

Baltimore has already said that, if they can't reach a deal by the deadline, he's getting tagged. 

But Lamar being tagged doesn't preclude him from being traded. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Besides THAT Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play? 

Again, I understand, but I’m not paying a ransom for a guy whose best qualities are not necessarily sucking and standing upright. 

Agreed - there is a lot of speculation over them using the non-exclusive tag, but what you are saying makes sense. 

I'm just speculating, but a team that is at all serious about signing a QB to a contract about (or in excess of) $50MM/year isn't going to want to risk losing him over a #8 pick plus next year's 1st that could easily be in the 20s -- both in drafts without an obvious must have QB.

Then again what if there'd be a plan to let it go through and then get in on the Rodgers competition, seeing how they'd have a pair of 1sts in both 2023 and 2024. If they could afford Jackson they could afford Rodgers, too. Just letting my imagination run wild, lol.

Just now, slimjasi said:

Fair. 

And I'm not paying a "ransom" for a guy who can't consistently stay on the field. 

I’m not advocating for Garoppolo, just pointing out that he’s better. I realize that after pinning some hope on China Doll White that they need a little durability back there. 

• Haha 1

Just now, slats said:

Like I said, the only thing Carr has over him is durability.

Availability is the greatest ability.

Just now, slats said:

When on the field, Garoppolo is better.

Too bad Jimmy G. has been "on the field" to start only 39% of his teams games so far in his career.

Carr has started 98% of his teams games over the same period. 9 year full time starter vs. 2-4 year part-time mostly-injured starter/backup.

Jimmy G. has thrown for over 3,500 yards a year only twice.  Carr did it 7 of 9 seasons, and missed it one year by 4 yards.

Jimmy G. has thrown for over 20 TD's in a year only once.  Carr did it 8 of 9 seasons, and missed it being a perfect 9 by 1 TD in 2018.

Jimmy G does have a higher comp%, 67.6% to 64.6%.  Both are good enough.

Jimmy G. has a 2.07 TD:INT ratio.  Carr has a 2.19 TD:INT ratio.  

Carr is better, more reliable by a huge margin, and more experienced by a massive margin. 

Jimmy G. is an overhyped and fragile version of Gardner Minshew.  He's a better supported (and more handsome) Mike White, lol.

But at least we didn't spent Woody's money, I know how much that matters to some folks, lol. 

It's ok if we suck, as long as we suck cheaply at QB, right.

Just now, slats said:

Rodgers is rightfully their top choice over Carr, he’s better by a wide margin, but Garoppolo wouldn’t be the worst consolation prize. Worst case scenario would’ve been signing the slightly above average Carr to too large a contract only to watch him wither under the NY spotlight before shriveling away in the cold. 

Like I said, the only reason to sign Jimmy G. is if you really just want to see Zach Wilson play alot in 2023. 

He's the very definition of "unreliable QB" so far in his career. 

Hell, I think he hurt his knee reading this post, out for 6-8 weeks, sorry man.

• Upvote 1

Just now, slats said:

I’m not advocating for Garoppolo, just pointing out that he’s better. I realize that after pinning some hope on China Doll White that they need a little durability back there. 

For me, it goes back to Vinny tearing his achilles as SB favorites on opening day in 1999. It goes back to Chad repeatedly breaking down. It goes back to Sanchez getting hurt in the snoopy bowl. It goes back to Geno getting hurt against Baltimore in 2016, after being given his last shot to shine in a Jets uniform. It goes back to Sam getting the kissing disease. Heck, it includes Zach getting a noncontact injury in the very first preseason game of year 2.

This franchise has a long and tortured history of being absolutely devastated by injuries to the QB position - I have no interest in bringing in a QB who hasn't been able to stay healthy wearing other NFL uniforms. 

Durability is the single most important ability, IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Jimmy G does have a higher comp%, 67.6% to 64.6%.  Both are good enough.

Jimmy G. has a 2.07 TD:INT ratio.  Carr has a 2.19 TD:INT ratio.  

Carr is better, more reliable by a huge margin, and more experienced by a massive margin. 

Jimmy G. is an overhyped and fragile version of Gardner Minshew.  He's a better supported (and more handsome) Mike White, lol.

Jimmy leads in TD% 5.0 to 4.4, and yards/attempt by a large margin, 8.3 to 7.1 (which is actually crap, Zach threw for 7.0 last year), and passer rating 99.6 to 91.8. Carr is not better, unless you mean a little better than average. The only thing he has going for him is that durability. I have no idea how he got so hyped up around here, the parallels to Neil O’Donnell are frightening. I’m grateful he’s a Saint. 

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

But at least we didn't spent Woody's money, I know how much that matters to some folks, lol. 

There is a salary cap, and the cap has consequences. I’m not a season ticket holder, though, but I do hear nothing but good things about the prices of tickets, parking, and beer, so I guess no one should worry about flushing Woody’s cash down the toilet, right? It’s all good. 

Jimmy leads in TD% 5.0 to 4.4, and yards/attempt by a large margin, 8.3 to 7.1 (which is actually crap, Zach threw for 7.0 last year), and passer rating 99.6 to 91.8.

Because Jimmy G. played in more garbage time, because he's a career backup for the most part.

Carr is not better, unless you mean a little better than average. The only thing he has going for him is that durability. I have no idea how he got so hyped up around here, the parallels to Neil O’Donnell are frightening.

Carr > Trubisky, Minshew, Mayfield, Jimmy G. (oops, just hurt himself again having a glas of water, 5-6 weeks this time) et. al., and most of all, Z.Wilson

That's why.  Everything is relative.  A proven, durable, 3,900, 20-30 TD to 10-15 INT every season type reliable starting QB is something we haven't had in ages.

Jimmy G. may have marginal better metrics in a few spots, but his massive lack of durability, and very small actual resume as a full-time starter, makes him a sub-par choice.  Again, he's a slightly better Minshew.

But I get it, all you care about is salary.  On field is clearly secondary to you to how cheaply we can get a guy.  Screw QB, we need that 5th string Safety more, gotta save those dolla's!

I’m grateful he’s a Saint.

If we get Rodgers, I will be too.

If we have to watch Limpy G. start 3 games before yielding to Zach Wilson, I won't be.  And neither will you.

There is a salary cap, and the cap has consequences.

Which you don't manage nor understand.

Might want to keep that in mind.  

I’m not a season ticket holder, though, but I do hear nothing but good things about the prices of tickets, parking, and beer, so I guess no one should worry about flushing Woody’s cash down the toilet, right? It’s all good. 

Ffs, if you think ticket prices are based on how much we pay our QB, you really are more ignorant than I thought.