Ravens non exclusive franchise tag Lamar at $32M

26 year old Lamar or 39 year old Rodgers? Seems like a no brainer. Woody - turn that plane around 
Unless you really don't like fully guaranteeing running QBs that have been injured the last two seasons and is are inconsistent passers.

Rodgers all day every day.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Lamar Jackson for two first round picks is definitely enticing.

But a Watson-like $320 million fully guaranteed contract is not.  And that's what he wants. Until he drops that ridiculous demand, he'll be playing under the tag this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

In real life or on twitter?

To be honest I’m talking out of my a** here, I just think this has the potential to become a bigger story than the usual “he’s not worth what he’s asking” stuff we talk about all the time.

It’s why I told you let’s see how it plays out.

16 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Unless you really don't like fully guaranteeing running QBs that have been injured the last two seasons and is are inconsistent passer.

Rodgers all day every day.

40 yo old nut job who we have to give picks to get, than pay 110 million. 
Yay! Go us!

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Because he wants the Deshaun Watson contract and he’s missed a ton of games over the last two seasons. It’s not complicated lol

Pretty much. If Mahommes or Josh Alene became a free agent, nobody would bat an eye to give them a Deshauns deal. 
Lamar is great but he’s extremely risky to just throw 230 million at and think it’ll all be okay. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Viermoo said:

I honestly don’t know why everyone thinks Lamar has such a high value. The Ravens passing game is among the worst in the league. Plus, his style of play will, within a few years, wind up with him either being injured constantly or render his running game useless. Unless he is deemed to be an elite passer there is no reason to give up a ton for him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The Ravens average 26 pts a game w/ Lamar Jackson.  Good for 5th in the NFL.  The Ravens average 16pts a game w/out Lamar.  Good for last in the NFL.  They were 8-4 w/ Lamar.  2-5 w/out.  No one player has a bigger impact on his team then Lamar Jackson.

• Upvote 3
  • Ugh 1

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

this is quickly turning into a political issue

What do these owners think Burrow is going to ask for?  Herbert?  Lawrence? This isnt going to end well for the NFL and it's quite clear what's going on.  I've never seen teams go out of their way to say they're out of the race.  wtf?  Never.  It's not the players fault the Browns and Cardinals did what they did, what's done is done.  It's where they are at and these scumbags, should F'ing pay it.  They're making money hand over fist on this dog sh*t product. 

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, JiF4Lamar said:

The Ravens average 26 pts a game w/ Lamar Jackson.  Good for 5th in the NFL.  The Ravens average 16pts a game w/out Lamar.  Good for last in the NFL.  They were 8-4 w/ Lamar.  2-5 w/out.  No one player has a bigger impact on his team then Lamar Jackson.

I don't think anyone is arguing he's not a good player - it's the guaranteed money that's the issue.  If he's not available doesn't matter how many points he's capable of putting up.

He's been injury prone and his style of play make it likely that he'll continue to be hurt.  

Every team in the NFL does what's best for their franchise - no one is passing on a QB they want to help other owners out.  It's really silly when you think about.

What Jackson wants is too much.  

Watson is a passer - Jackson is a runner - very different players.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't think anyone is arguing he's not a good player - it's the guaranteed money that's the issue.

He's been injury prone and his style of play make it likely that he'll continue to be hurt.  

Every team in the NFL does what's best for their franchise - no one is passing on a QB they want to help other owners out.  It's really silly when you think about.

What Jackson wants is too much.  

Watson is a passer - Jackson is a runner - very different players.

Oh No Facepalm GIF by Aminé

Lamar in NY would be ?

But they’d have to can Nathaniel Hackett in that case. 

He’s not a guy capable of designing an offense to maximize his strengths.  I could see Lamar telling him to F off in week 1.

The sole purpose of hiring Hackett was to get Rodgers.  If he can’t do that, of what use is he to Joe Douglas?

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Pretty much. If Mahommes or Josh Alene became a free agent, nobody would bat an eye to give them a Deshauns deal. 
Lamar is great but he’s extremely risky to just throw 230 million at and think it’ll all be okay. 

If DJ is worth 40 per, Mahomes is easily worth 80 or 100.

If I’m Mahomes I immediately ask for a bump up.  What would Chiefs do, play hardball with him, trade him?

Mahomes should clear 1B in gross earnings by the time his career is done.

13 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I know what you mean .. but I really think it's about guaranteeing an oft injured running QB ludicrous speed money.

Totally cool with markets trading fairly and owners independently assessing they don't want to take the risk.  Totally not cool with the idea that there's a nod-nod wink-wink deal here among owners to start reining in some of these contracts and the guaranteed $$$.

5 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Totally cool with markets trading fairly and owners independently assessing they don't want to take the risk.  Totally not cool with the idea that there's a nod-nod wink-wink deal here among owners to start reining in some of these contracts and the guaranteed $$$.

Has there been any indication that contracts are getting reined in? Contracts continue to go up. Watsons to date was a total outlier. Jackson is hardly a sure thing.

• Upvote 1

Agreed.

• Upvote 1

Love Lamar and Baltimore is my 1a, really thought Falcons wanted him, would have been sad to see him go but seems he likely will be back in Baltimore. Don’t understand why he doesn’t get an agent most would do it for 1 percent because of the deal they would get. This all seems confusing, he bet on himself and lost so take the looser deal it’s still gonna be north of 40 mil per!

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Has there been any indication that contracts are getting reined in? Contracts continue to go up. Watsons to date was a total outlier. Jackson is hardly a sure thing.

I honestly don't know.  I would think contract values are moving in step with the league's profitability.  I do suspect that Watson's deal set off some alarm bells, however, and it would not shock me if there wasn't internal dialogue among the owners and a commitment to not repeat it...

8 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I honestly don't know.  I would think contract values are moving in step with the league's profitability.  I do suspect that Watson's deal set off some alarm bells, however, and it would not shock me if there wasn't internal dialogue among the owners and a commitment to not repeat it...

This would be more believable if this was happening with Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen. Jackson isn’t on the level where teams would give up two firsts and 250 mill guaranteed without blinking. The media is really trying to stir the pot on this one. 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

This would be more believable if this was happening with Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen. Jackson isn’t on the level where teams would give up two firsts and 250 mill guaranteed without blinking. The media is really trying to stir the pot on this one. 

Again, you could be right.  But don't you think it was a bit odd for so many owners to fold before seeing the flop?  

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Again, you could be right.  But don't you think it was a bit odd for so many owners to fold before seeing the flop?  

I don’t think anyone has folded. I think they’ve folded at the 250 mill guaranteed. Not having an agent also adds an extra wrinkle.