Looking Forward to 2023 Season

If we get Rodgers and remain relatively healthy on Offense, we will be in the top 5 conversation to go to the Super Bowl. 

Becton has to come back and be worth a sh*t.... AVT comes back Mitchell comes back and Duane Brown comes back. We have the players they just need to get healthy.

Becton, Tomlinson, McGovern, Herbig, AVT, Mitchell, Brown - We have the guys need to add to that room as well to create good solid depth.

Hall needs to pick up where he left off as does Zonovan Knight Major protection there for Rodgers also Carters touches will go down unless he starts to run hard and actually gain yards.

We need to get that possession WR we have lacked since Keyshawn and Brandon Marshall and Garrett needs to pick up where he left off. Moore has to play to his potential no more excuses. While some of you dislike Berrios I think you need to keep him he's as sure handed as it gets returning punts and rarely makes a mistake in that regard and that's important. 

We have the players on the OL if we get them healthy and add one or 2 FA we should be golden. Our Offense with Rodgers and Hall running on all cylinders will be unstoppable.

All this and we didn't even draft a player yet. It could be a LB a WR or a OL. Probably Safety in the 2nd or 3rd hopefully a ball hawk

Sign Mike White as the back up after all Rodgers is 39 and Wilson is just not ready 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I am as optimistic as anyone but this is just not a true statement.

Its not a true or false question its an opinion . How could or would you not be optimistic is the Jets Offense did stay healthy with Rodgers at the helm ?

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

If we get Rodgers and remain relatively healthy on Offense, we will be in the top 5 conversation to go to the Super Bowl. 

Becton has to come back and be worth a sh*t.... AVT comes back Mitchell comes back and Duane Brown comes back. We have the players they just need to get healthy.

Becton, Tomlinson, McGovern, Herbig, AVT, Mitchell, Brown - We have the guys need to add to that room as well to create good solid depth.

Hall needs to pick up where he left off as does Zonovan Knight Major protection there for Rodgers also Carters touches will go down unless he starts to run hard and actually gain yards.

We need to get that possession WR we have lacked since Keyshawn and Brandon Marshall and Garrett needs to pick up where he left off. Moore has to play to his potential no more excuses. While some of you dislike Berrios I think you need to keep him he's as sure handed as it gets returning punts and rarely makes a mistake in that regard and that's important. 

We have the players on the OL if we get them healthy and add one or 2 FA we should be golden. Our Offense with Rodgers and Hall running on all cylinders will be unstoppable.

All this and we didn't even draft a player yet. It could be a LB a WR or a OL. Probably Safety in the 2nd or 3rd hopefully a ball hawk

Sign Mike White as the back up after all Rodgers is 39 and Wilson is just not ready 

Wut?

Two of the guys you listed on the o-line are FAs (McGovern and Herbig). So lets assume everybody is healthy and Becton comes back in prime shape. We have a massive hole at C and absolutely no IOL depth. Fine, address that in FA and/or the draft. But that is cap space we don't have (assuming we bring in Rodgers). We won't be getting studs. If we want good players, we need to make cuts elsewhere. 

This is why guys like Berrios (despite being surehanded on PR) needs to go. This is why we need to hope Davis restructures and Lawson restructures. Maybe one (or both???) will be cap casualties. I don't think there is a massive cap issue with this team, but if we bring in Rodgers, JD WILL need to get creative to fill in the rest of the holes. And Mike White on top of that is almost guaranteed to be too expensive as a backup. Thats whatever cap space Rodgers eats up + 10mil (cap space) for Zach + around 10 mil cap space for White?

How about the defense? We need to resign Huff, re-sign Quincy. QW wants a new deal. We need a FS (or are we just plugging in a rookie from the draft?).  Kwon is a FA. Rankins is a FA. Joyner. 

And as far as Hall we need to temper our expectations. He won't pick up where he left off. The Jets will limit his touches- as they should. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if he started the season on IR and the Jets started with Knight, Carter and a FA or UDFA just to buy Hall more time to recover while keeping a spot open. You just can't afford losing him again for the season if you push him back too early. By default, Carter and Knight's touches will increase. And I don't think it was ever a matter of Carter running 'hard' or not. He is an elusive but undersized back who needs holes to allow him to spring for yards. He's not a grinder like Knight. The Jets o-line did a terrible job of making holes for the RBs last season, especially once guys started going down with injury. 

Its not doom and gloom. If we get Rodgers, JD WILL put this roster in order, making us a legit contender. But it won't be that easy. I don't think he will be able to keep all of these guys and cut will need to be made. My guess is he will lean towards trying to hold together the defense as much as possible while adjusting the pieces we have on offense via FA and the draft. That would make sense with how well the D played last year and with the new QB and coaching added to the offensive side of the ball. But we shall see.   

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Wut?

Two of the guys you listed on the o-line are FAs (McGovern and Herbig). So lets assume everybody is healthy and Becton comes back in prime shape. We have a massive hole at C and absolutely no IOL depth. Fine, address that in FA and/or the draft. But that is cap space we don't have (assuming we bring in Rodgers). We won't be getting studs. If we want good players, we need to make cuts elsewhere. 

This is why guys like Berrios (despite being surehanded on PR) needs to go. This is why we need to hope Davis restructures and Lawson restructures. Maybe one (or both???) will be cap casualties. I don't think there is a massive cap issue with this team, but if we bring in Rodgers, JD WILL need to get creative to fill in the rest of the holes. And Mike White on top of that is almost guaranteed to be too expensive as a backup. Thats whatever cap space Rodgers eats up + 10mil (cap space) for Zach + around 10 mil cap space for White?

How about the defense? We need to resign Huff, re-sign Quincy. QW wants a new deal. We need a FS (or are we just plugging in a rookie from the draft?).  Kwon is a FA. Rankins is a FA. Joyner. 

And as far as Hall we need to temper our expectations. He won't pick up where he left off. The Jets will limit his touches- as they should. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if he started the season on IR and the Jets started with Knight, Carter and a FA or UDFA just to buy Hall more time to recover while keeping a spot open. You just can't afford losing him again for the season if you push him back too early. By default, Carter and Knight's touches will increase. And I don't think it was ever a matter of him running 'hard' or not. He is an elusive but undersized back who needs holes to allow him to spring for yards. He's not a grinder like Knight. The Jets o-line did a terrible job of making holes for the RBs last season, especially once guys started going down with injury. 

Its not doom and gloom. If we get Rodgers, JD WILL put this roster in order, making us a legit contender. But it won't be that easy. I don't think he will be able to keep all of these guys and cut will need to be made. My guess is he will lean towards trying to hold together the defense as much as possible while adjusting the pieces we have on offense via FA and the draft. That would make sense with how well the D played last year and with the new QB and coaching added to the offensive side of the ball. But we shall see.   

So when our OL was playing very well last year before the rash of injuries that must have been a figment of our Imagination right ? Not to mention Rodgers alone makes our OL look even better that it did at its peak last year.

We have Zonovan Knight and to some extent Michael Carter to ease Hall into the line up. Not an issue at all neither are ACL injuries which have some a long way in recovery process.

Most of your post is making my point for me. so not WUT ??

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

So when our OL was playing very well last year before the rash of injuries that must have been a figment of our Imagination right ? Not to mention Rodgers alone makes our OL look even better that it did at its peak last year.

We have Zonovan Knight and to some extent Michael Carter to ease Hall into the line up. Not an issue at all neither are ACL injuries which have some a long way in recovery process.

Most of your post is making my point for me. so not WUT ??

Huh? My point is that NOW McGovern is a FA and so is our Guard depth (Herbig, Feeney). We can't just rely on 5 starters to stay healthy all year. My point is that NOW we have a bunch of other FAs we have to bring back- including on defense. My point is that adding Rodgers will eat into the cap. So JD will need to get creative in how he uses the cap space we have and we can't assume everybody will come back. Guys like White will probably be too expensive. Guys like Berrios will probably need to be cut. Guys like Lawson and Davis will need to get restructured (or even cut). Its doable, but not simple. Our roster may have a number of new faces next year because of it. You make is sound simple. Its not. Thats all I'm saying. 

Like, hey, I would love it if we could just trade for Rodgers, bring everyone back, add a couple free agents here and there and have a solid draft. Boom, Super Bowl here we come. I'm just saying its not that simple and you can't just ignore all the holes we need to fill due to our current FAs.   

27 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Huh? My point is that NOW McGovern is a FA and so is our Guard depth (Herbig, Feeney). We can't just rely on 5 starters to stay healthy all year. My point is that NOW we have a bunch of other FAs we have to bring back- including on defense. My point is that adding Rodgers will eat into the cap. So JD will need to get creative in how he uses the cap space we have and we can't assume everybody will come back. Guys like White will probably be too expensive. Guys like Berrios will probably need to be cut. Guys like Lawson and Davis will need to get restructured (or even cut). Its doable, but not simple. Our roster may have a number of new faces next year because of it. You make is sound simple. Its not. Thats all I'm saying. 

Like, hey, I would love it if we could just trade for Rodgers, bring everyone back, add a couple free agents here and there and have a solid draft. Boom, Super Bowl here we come. I'm just saying its not that simple and you can't just ignore all the holes we need to fill due to our current FAs.   

So because they are FA that automatically means they are gone ? or cant be replaced ?

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Wut?

And as far as Hall we need to temper our expectations. He won't pick up where he left off. The Jets will limit his touches- as they should. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if he started the season on IR and the Jets started with Knight, Carter and a FA or UDFA just to buy Hall more time to recover while keeping a spot open. You just can't afford losing him again for the season if you push him back too early. By default, Carter and Knight's touches will increase. And I don't think it was ever a matter of Carter running 'hard' or not. He is an elusive but undersized back who needs holes to allow him to spring for yards. He's not a grinder like Knight. The Jets o-line did a terrible job of making holes for the RBs last season, especially once guys started going down with injury. 

I don't think Lawson sticks (or anyway don't think he should stick) at $15MM. They just drafted two edge guys they like, plus Huff can be brought back with an RFA tag (guessing 2nd round at $4.3MM; they might get away with the first-refusal tender but if they are giving up Lawson they may want to play it a little safer). They got a 17-start season out of him and let it end on a higher note. The norm for him is missing either big chunk or all of the season. Good player, but also replaceable if they need a different starter. No rush, anyway.

Both Davises should also go. Likable player who's willing to take hits over the middle, but Corey Davis just isn't nearly reliable enough. It's not even purely the money; they can't pencil him in as a starter and every week it's an adventure whether or not he's going to play (or worse, gameplan to get him involved and instead he has one of his common early-game exits; statistically those go in as just starts even if he misses half or most of the game). Ashtyn Davis has a better chance of getting you into bed with him as he has of collecting a ~$3MM Jets salary in 2023. 

They may retain Berrios, but he's going to have to take a pay cut. $5MM is too much savings to pass up on just for reliable fair catches. Muffing that would-be gamewinning (instead, the game-losing) catch vs the Vikings shouldn't go unnoticed either. Yeah he usually catches that, but he didn't.

Rodgers adds almost the same $15MM that Lawson clears, so that's a pretty neat swap.

They need to sign a center, but it need not be McGovern. TBH I tend to lean towards that being less likely, as there's been no leak of even any meaningful discussions about an extension. He would allegedly like to stay here, but they all say that unless they've made their displeasure so well known in one way or another (e.g. I would be surprised to see Fant return). 

I think they'd like to re-sign Herbig but with Tomlinson and AVT locked in as the starting guards he may want to shop himself around after starting most of the season. He may be a long shot to bring back unless they're offering him the starting center job as his to lose, with the further caveat that they're going to also draft one (but not be in any self-imposed rush in the first couple rounds). 

Other than that, interior depth isn't hard to find in FA and the draft, without burning high dollars or high picks. They could target a center on day 2, maybe to take over there next year & then slide Herbig over to guard (or just the center prospect plays guard outright, depending how things lay out).

They'll need another WR, but with Wilson emerging so quickly (and with Moore a good bet for a big step forward) it need not be a bank-breaker. And yes another QB but as likely as not after Rodgers they'd pencil in Wilson as the QB2 and add a day 3 QB pick. Possible they add another veteran but think they'd like to get 2 guys to groom behind Rodgers instead of just crossing fingers on Wilson. Also there's always a veteran QB available during the season if it really came to that. 

They also need to add a safety. I also think they'll re-sign QW2 to keep the brothers together, and despite the screams for nothing but OL and WR in the draft, there's a very good chance they use their first pick on a LB while others scramble for the top QB, OT, CB, WR, and DL prospects ahead of us. Maybe even trade down 3-5 slots to add another 3rd & then take their first player; I don't think Rodgers will cost our 1st but he'll cost something, and starting up at #13 they could move down to help lessen that while still landing a damn solid prospect. Depends who's sitting there at 13 of course.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

So because they are FA that automatically means they are gone ? or cant be replaced ?

No. It means they will need to be re-signed or replaced. What is not clear? The Jets have a lot of FAs who they need to resign or replace. Adding a big name, high priced QB will make it considerably more difficult to do so. But IMO its worth bringing that QB in. In fact, it needs to be done. 

So, JD will need to get creative and do a lot of work to fill in holes currently on the roster. Not to mention areas which were in need of an upgrade. 

Pop Tv Ronnielee GIF by Schitt's Creek

46 minutes ago, PepPep said:

No. It means they will need to be re-signed or replaced. What is not clear? The Jets have a lot of FAs who they need to resign or replace. Adding a big name, high priced QB will make it considerably more difficult to do so. But IMO its worth bringing that QB in. In fact, it needs to be done. 

So, JD will need to get creative and do a lot of work to fill in holes currently on the roster. Not to mention areas which were in need of an upgrade. 

Pop Tv Ronnielee GIF by Schitt's Creek

I'm not even sure where your going with this stuff I was being a bit sarcastic in asking if they can be re-signed . JD will not have to get creative since Rodgers cap hit is minimal this year. He will re-sign who he wants free up money in certain areas and fill  holes via the draft and through FA. Its been made clear Rodgers cap hit this year is not that bad at all. We will feel the Rodgers deal the most is in 2025 unless JD restructures or Rodgers does not mind a team friendly restructure which I'm sure they are discussing over the past few days.

With all that being said our team in in very good shape with talent on both sides of the ball and Rodgers makes us an instant playoff/SB contender IMHO . After about 3 or 4 games this team will be clicking on all cylinders and it will be fun to watch.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think Lawson sticks (or anyway don't think he should stick) at $15MM. They just drafted two edge guys they like, plus Huff can be brought back with an RFA tag (guessing 2nd round at $4.3MM; they might get away with the first-refusal tender but if they are giving up Lawson they may want to play it a little safer). They got a 17-start season out of him and let it end on a higher note. The norm for him is missing either big chunk or all of the season. Good player, but also replaceable if they need a different starter. No rush, anyway.

Both Davises should also go. Likable player who's willing to take hits over the middle, but Corey Davis just isn't nearly reliable enough. It's not even purely the money; they can't pencil him in as a starter and every week it's an adventure whether or not he's going to play (or worse, gameplan to get him involved and instead he has one of his common early-game exits; statistically those go in as just starts even if he misses half or most of the game). Ashtyn Davis has a better chance of getting you into bed with him as he has of collecting a ~$3MM Jets salary in 2023. 

They may retain Berrios, but he's going to have to take a pay cut. $5MM is too much savings to pass up on just for reliable fair catches. Muffing that would-be gamewinning (instead, the game-losing) catch vs the Vikings shouldn't go unnoticed either. Yeah he usually catches that, but he didn't.

Rodgers adds almost the same $15MM that Lawson clears, so that's a pretty neat swap.

They need to sign a center, but it need not be McGovern. TBH I tend to lean towards that being less likely, as there's been no leak of even any meaningful discussions about an extension. He would allegedly like to stay here, but they all say that unless they've made their displeasure so well known in one way or another (e.g. I would be surprised to see Fant return). 

I think they'd like to re-sign Herbig but with Tomlinson and AVT locked in as the starting guards he may want to shop himself around after starting most of the season. He may be a long shot to bring back unless they're offering him the starting center job as his to lose, with the further caveat that they're going to also draft one (but not be in any self-imposed rush in the first couple rounds). 

Other than that, interior depth isn't hard to find in FA and the draft, without burning high dollars or high picks. They could target a center on day 2, maybe to take over there next year & then slide Herbig over to guard (or just the center prospect plays guard outright, depending how things lay out).

They'll need another WR, but with Wilson emerging so quickly (and with Moore a good bet for a big step forward) it need not be a bank-breaker. And yes another QB but as likely as not after Rodgers they'd pencil in Wilson as the QB2 and add a day 3 QB pick. Possible they add another veteran but think they'd like to get 2 guys to groom behind Rodgers instead of just crossing fingers on Wilson. Also there's always a veteran QB available during the season if it really came to that. 

They also need to add a safety. I also think they'll re-sign QW2 to keep the brothers together, and despite the screams for nothing but OL and WR in the draft, there's a very good chance they use their first pick on a LB while others scramble for the top QB, OT, CB, WR, and DL prospects ahead of us. Maybe even trade down 3-5 slots to add another 3rd & then take their first player; I don't think Rodgers will cost our 1st but he'll cost something, and starting up at #13 they could move down to help lessen that while still landing a damn solid prospect. Depends who's sitting there at 13 of course.

Agree with all of this .

Don't be shocked Spermy the planets align every so often :)

• Upvote 1