Not as many teams in on Lamar as expected...many already bowing out

AFJF

2 minutes ago, SR24 said:

These owners don’t want to see another Watson-like contract 

There will be many more Watson-like contracts.  Just not for a guy with very real durability concerns.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Also wouldn’t be surprised if the owners have a wink wink deal to not make a fully guaranteed offer to him. In the eyes of an owner, I can’t imagine they’d be too happy dishing out contracts like the one Watson got. Bad for business.

Since the owners probably didn’t openly admit to each other that this was a planned collusion (a la Kaepernick) they spoke in obvious thinly veiled “code.” “Yeah we WON’T COLLUDE against Lamar Jackson…we’ll totally give a fair market for him.”

There’s noway Woody Johnson understood the plan and that’s why the Jets aren’t listed as teams that will not pursue.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

They don't need a 'wink wink'. It would be asinine to give him a fully guaranteed deal that would set back any team the length of the deal and probably couple more years. 

There are 32 teams, it just takes one crazy owner / GM to pull the trigger. I didn’t say it was logica  but its already happened in Cleveland. One contract the league can disregard, two contracts and it’s the new norm.

2 minutes ago, SR24 said:

These owners don’t want to see another Watson-like contract 

^^^This

The Watson fully guaranteed contract with the Browns is not sitting well among ownership.  I truly believe the owners have a silent, telepathic agenda not to replicate it.  

That alone is the reason almost every team is out on him. Without that demand, he'd probably be a happy Raven for many years. Lamar is a schmuck.  He needs an agent to explain how it works.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I doubt that.  

Let's see what happens when Burrow and Lawrence are up for new deals.  Either the league is going to have to make new rules for how QB's are paid or the top guys will keep getting enormous guarantees.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

13 minutes ago, AFJF said:

But why would anyone make a fully gtd offer to a guy who has taken the number of hits he has and missed the number of games he has missed?  That would be incredibly stupid.

The same reason teams offered a serial predator a 230m fully guaranteed deal regardless of blow back

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 2

6 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

The same reason teams offered a serial predator a 230m fully guaranteed deal regardless of blow back

Just because one team does something very stupid doesn't mean other teams are obliged to follow suit.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Team, not teams.  So far just the Browns on this. And everyone knows the Browns' ownership and management is among the most incompetent in the NFL.   There's always an outlier team that rocks the boat... i.e. Al Davis for decades...  But I think there will be big brushback on this one.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Just because one team does something very stupid doesn't mean other teams are obliged to follow suit.

Sure, but multiple teams were offering that money, only 1 was willing to do it regardless of outcome. It only takes 1 dumb billionaire without a QB to make a deal happen.

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Team, not teams.  So far just the Browns on this. And everyone knows the Browns' ownership and management is among the most incompetent in the NFL.   There's always an outlier team that rocks the boat... i.e. Al Davis for decades...  But I think there will be big brushback on this one.  

Yea, the Browns were the only one to offer it regardless of conviction but multiple teams were offering the money. Different players, different value but I am a little surprised the Falcons are not involved. I 100% think it's collusion to prevent that type of deal again.

• Upvote 2

Yea, the Browns were the only one to offer it regardless of conviction but multiple teams were offering the money. Different players, different value but I am a little surprised the Falcons are not involved. I 100% think it's collusion to prevent that type of deal again.
Why ? The guy has not been able to finish the last two seasons and his own team deams him not even worthy of a restricted tag.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Thumb Down 1

32 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Since the owners probably didn’t openly admit to each other that this was a planned collusion (a la Kaepernick) they spoke in obvious thinly veiled “code.” “Yeah we WON’T COLLUDE against Lamar Jackson…we’ll totally give a fair market for him.”

There’s noway Woody Johnson understood the plan and that’s why the Jets aren’t listed as teams that will not pursue.

Happy Married At First Sight GIF by Lifetime

• Sympathy 1