Not as many teams in on Lamar as expected...many already bowing out

AFJF

Serious question here for those that think this is collusion....

What if these teams just don't want him at what its going to take to get done? As a Jets fan, I would not want him at what I think it would take includign the 2 draft picks.

Everyone knows what its going to take. This idea of doing the Ravens work is silly, its no work. The real fear is they don't match an offer that they make for him.

Everyone can look at this the same way without it being collusion

Jackson is a player I would love to have on the Jets. I would not however love to take the 7-8 year risk of what it would take to get him on the Jets. This isn't really anything earth shattering, its kind of just common sense that doesnt need to be colluded.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Serious question here for those that think this is collusion....

What if these teams just don't want him at what its going to take to get done? As a Jets fan, I would not want him at what I think it would take includign the 2 draft picks.

Everyone knows what its going to take. This idea of doing the Ravens work is silly, its no work. The real fear is they don't match an offer that they make for him.

Everyone can look at this the same way without it being collusion

Jackson is a player I would love to have on the Jets. I would not however love to take the 7-8 year risk of what it would take to get him on the Jets. This isn't really anything earth shattering, its kind of just common sense that doesnt need to be colluded.

But, why not just talk to him? What harm does that do? Maybe his "demands" are misunderstood. Maybe you can soften those and you really hit it off. And maybe he gives a concession because he likes what he hears. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

But, why not just talk to him? What harm does that do? Maybe his "demands" are misunderstood. Maybe you can soften those and you really hit it off. And maybe he gives a concession because he likes what he hears. 

Exactly. The fact that zero teams have decided to make an offer or even negotiate is very strange.

• Upvote 1

Imagine a world where a player charged with at least two dozen sexual assault complaints visits with 4 different teams in order to discuss possible service and employment. AND, ultimately gets a salary FULLY guaranteed.

Imagine a world where a former MVP (albeit, admittedly a player that has had injuries) does not get one request to discuss possible service and employment.

That world is the NFL.  And the first paragraph shivers the timbers of the NFL hierarchy. Frightens them to their bones. As anyone that has bucked the expected code of conduct in the NFL. They HATE that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Imagine a world where a player charged with at least two dozen sexual assault complaints visits with 4 different teams in order to discuss possible service and employment. AND, ultimately gets a salary FULLY guaranteed.

Imagine a world where a former MVP (albeit, admittedly a player that has had injuries) does not get one request for possible service and employment.

That world is the NFL.  And the first paragraph shivers the timbers of the NFL hierarchy. Frightens them to their bones. As anyone that has bucked the expected code of conduct in the NFL. They HATE that. 

I wouldn’t’ve touched either player, but Watson is a much better QB on paper. In three full seasons, he’s thrown for 4100, 3800, and 4800 yards with close to a 2.5:1 TD:int ratio, all while adding a respectable 400-500 yards rushing. Lamar’s best year was 3100 yards in the air. 

The adage has always been, “it only takes one… “ but it’s not at all surprising that no one’s jumping at this player for the cost involved at this time. Pretty standard for teams to hang back when a player’s price is too high. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Because we're not interested in him or the risk behind him?

Or because he's his own agent, along with him mom.

If he had a pro agent, and we were risk-willing, and interested, you might have a point.  

Having this "why not" chat with him and him mommy?  Lol, nope. 

• Upvote 1

Not a theory I entirely agree with but figured I'd share.  Daniel Jeremiah said on his pod the other day that teams that are interested aren't going to announce it publicly to drive up Lamar's price as teams bid on him as free agency approaches.

That's his take.  I still think everyone knows the Ravens are going to match anything the comes in and can't help but wonder if that could end up costing Lamar money.  If no offers are made, or all offers are less than what the Ravens are offering, Baltimore has more bargaining power and could reduce their offer.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

If he had a pro agent, and we were risk-willing, and interested, you might have a point.  

Not sure who this "we" thing is. I am not really portraying the Jets here, because their eggs all seem to be in one basket. 

I am saying that the appearances of at least 2 or 3 of the QB needy teams in this league, who seem to be stagnant on that front, not offering a visit or a chat. Just looks fishy. And I have no idea. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Aint Nobody Got Time For That GIF by Superfit Foods

On 3/7/2023 at 6:23 PM, AFJF said:

Not the least bit surprised.  Wouldn't offer the money he's reportedly looking for to a QB who has taken over 700 hits and missed 11 of his last 25 games.

Is he saying that Patrick Mahomes might potentially be available?

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Imagine a world where a former MVP (albeit, admittedly a player that has had injuries) does not get one request to discuss possible service and employment.

Imagine a world where someone (the browns) makes a stupid / piss poor decision.

Imagine a world where it's expected that everyone else must act in the same manner going forward.

LJ is going to be fabulously rich despite the cries otherwise.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Maybe nobody wants to give up two first round draft picks and a huge contract, so if you don't want to do that, why talk to him?

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Maybe nobody wants to give up two first round draft picks and a huge contract, so if you don't want to do that, why talk to him?

The Panthers just gave up a haul logistically larger than that, with the hopes of drafting a player not even to take a snap in the NFL yet.

The Browns last year gave up 3 firsts last year for a player with deep legal problems, and a suspension coming and then gave hime a huge guaranteed contract. 

It costs nothing to talk to him.

The point is, no team is going to waste their time, negotiating a contract with LJ, only to be matched by Baltimore. They are matching pretty much any offer he gets. That’s the whole point of this. Get other teams to do their work for them.  There is no collusion. It’s just a good use of time management by the other teams in the NFL that know he is not obtainable. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Panthers just gave up a haul logistically larger than that, with the hopes of drafting a player not even to take a snap in the NFL yet.

The Browns last year gave up 3 firsts last year for a player with deep legal problems, and a suspension coming and then gave hime a huge guaranteed contract. 

It costs nothing to talk to him.

Watson was a much better passer of the football than Jackson, and the Browns are going to likely regret that contract for 10 years. Panthers don't have to pay a huge salary to whoever they select.

To get Jackson, you have to give up huge draft and cap capital. 

If this was Mahomes, this is a non issue, if this was truly a top passer of the football, non issue.