The old Parcells saying

AFJF

Tweeted this yesterday about Parcells' saying "If you're thinking about retiring, you're already retired"

And apparently Schefter is claiming Rodgers is leaning toward retirement and the Jets are trying to talk him out of it.

If true, I imagine Rodgers will be fully invested and dying to get going.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Tweeted this yesterday about Parcells' saying "If you're thinking about retiring, you're already retired"

And apparently Schefter is claiming Rodgers is leaning toward retirement and the Jets are trying to talk him out of it.

When did Schefter write this?

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Didn't Parcells "retire" and then come out of retirement like four times? Not sure he's an authority on this.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

It would be shocking for Rogers to leave somewhere in the neighborhood of 100M on the table and not play for the next year or so. It’s not like this guy is a multi billionaire, so as long as he can play you would think he would at least for the money again that us on the table.

As for Parcells, that is funny with his quote since he kept stating retirement after he left our team and then worked as coach and GM for 2 teams after that.

We are reading way to much into how much money he "may leave on the table" Hes uber rich already and lifestyle will not change based on the 60 mil. He is also trying to Zen out. Would not suprise me if walks from the money. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

@jgb

talked about the idea of "diminishing marginal utility." it's an economic concept.

That is to say if your starving, a meatball hero is like heaven. But after you've eaten 3 meatball heroes, a 4th is disgusting

Aaron Rodgers already has multiple hundreds of millions of dollars. That's just in NFL earnings not counting the discount double check money.

It's not like adding 60 mil more to the rest of the pile is going to change his life in any meaningful way

a 4th or 5th concussion on the other hand might change his life in a very meaningful way. 

Retirement is certainly a possibility, he's played 18 NFL seasons (!) and his injury history is long. The idea that he can't turn down the money is only a no brainer if you're coming to this conversation without money. 

this discussion also neglects the price of pain. A day without it is priceless. Not being in pain every day until you die, what's that worth? Lawyers put a dollar figure on it every day it's called pain and suffering damages and it's not free. 

since we are talking about Parcells my favorite quote is "you are what your record says you are" the Jets are 20-46 under Joe Douglas,  11-23 under Saleh

contrary to popular belief this is not a team 1 QB away from a SB. 

I do think he'll play but not because of the money, or at least not with money as the primary driving factor. He's a football player and football players play football generally as long as they are able because once it's gone, it's gone. Most guys have the retirement decision made for them -- age, injuries, lack of team interest -- the lucky few like Rodgers have a chance to walk away on their terms once they either decide they don't want to put themselves through it anymore or they have declined below their previous high standards.

So I think he'll play but there is definitely a chance he will walk away for the reasons stated above -- not money reasons.

• Upvote 4

It's an interesting phrase from someone who agreed to this job on a 3-year plan, which is tantamount to retiring: "I have a quit date, meaning I've thought about quitting before I started."

Thankful for the one-time turnaround, and the one playoff appearance (which itself wouldn't have happened if Belichick didn't vouch for and insist on bringing in Testaverde; post-O'Donnell, Tuna's preferred guy was Glenn Foley), but outside of that he can ead. 

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

We are reading way to much into how much money he "may leave on the table" Hes uber rich already and lifestyle will not change based on the 60 mil. He is also trying to Zen out. Would not suprise me if walks from the money. 

Yeah, if there's one thing we've learned about Rodgers over the last few years it's definitely not that "he's motivated by money." If anything he seems to be an odd guy who puts a premium on non-traditional things.

4 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I haven’t read or heard anything about him leaning toward retirement

That’s because it’s not out there and that isn’t what Schefter said.

I don’t know why it so hard to accurately depict what people say, but apparently, it is! 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, jgb said:

I do think he'll play but not because of the money, or at least not with money as the primary driving factor. He's a football player and football players play football generally as long as they are able because once it's gone, it's gone. Most guys have the retirement decision made for them -- age, injuries, lack of team interest -- the lucky few like Rodgers have a chance to walk away on their terms once they either decide they don't want to put themselves through it anymore or they have declined below their previous high standards.

So I think he'll play but there is definitely a chance he will walk away for the reasons stated above -- not money reasons.

I think he wants it because it is a big ego killer to see lesser QBs like Eli & more with a greater # of rings, and have that held against him the way so many people knocked Marino for never winning one.

The idea probably burns him that contemporaries & near-contemporaries like Eli, Aikman, and Roethlisberger each has more than one; that Brady doesn't merely have more than his one, but so many times more, and especially then seeing him win one by moving on from New England.

That's why he's not going to agree to play for any team he thinks is rebuilding again. At the same time, is it really about him if he takes over a team that was already a winner or contender without him (e.g. SF)? Nope, he wants to take over a sub-.500 team to show just what a difference-maker he is, like Brady did with Tampa, or Stafford to the Rams.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Trotter said:

the only reason i don't see retirement is the same class as Brady.

These guys have massive ego's and I just don't see him being the type that wants to share the spotlight

Rodgers must love the thought of riding into the NYC area as a white knight and potentially leading the long suffering Jets to their first championship since Namath.

To accomplish what Favre failed to get done.  

The accolades, the money … cementing his pace in the pantheon of sports heroes

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

If Aaron Rodgers does something even more special than Brett Favre post Green Bay he will elevate his legacy to new heights. He's a competitor and there is nothing he can buy with all the money in the world to replicate that intrinsic reward from taking a team all the way one more time like Brady did in Tampa Bay.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Rodgers must love the thought of riding into the NYC area as a white knight and potentially leading the long suffering Jets to their first championship since Namath.

To accomplish what Favre failed to get done.  

The accolades, the money … cementing his pace in the pantheon of sports heroes

1000%.

You can vision him during his speech with that smart ass (which i appreciate) smile on his face letting everyone know in an understated but very direct way that he brought the Jets to a super bowl (assuming that happened) where everyone else except Joe Willy failed. 

I would also not under estimate the drive to do something Favre could not do. 

• Upvote 2