Jets trade for Safety Chuck Clark

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Wow this is a great pickup for low cost. I wonder if they look to extend him.

I guess this is the trade we've all be waiting for right? Offseason expectations already fulfilled!

Probably means we won’t have a 3rd rounder to invest into a safety this year. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, jbt said:

is Brian Branch a FS?  if so trade down in the 1st to draft him, then OL and LB in the 2nd

Branch is a stud. He can play it all. He's label the next Minkah  Fitzpatrick.  Bama use him as a slot/LB hyprid to counter spread offenses as he plays the run and is a great coverage guy due to being a former CB. Didn't get much deep safety reps as Bama played a lot of 3 safety personnel with him not being the guy back deep. 

• Sympathy 1

Clark is versatile - he lined up all over for Baltimore. However as others have said - his strength is in the box and I view him as a Whitehead replacement which is good b/c he is probably better at a cheaper cost. We still need a FS unless they are just crazy high on Tony Adams...

I'll say Ravens fans are not happy about the compensation - thought he was worth more - always a good sign. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Chuck Clark is a good pickup

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I just read the thread on him in the Ravens forum I visit.  Ravens forum thread on Clark.  He was very much liked by the fans and team. Helped Kyle Hamilton learn last season.  Not physically the best you would want but a very smart DB and good piece for us, so I've read.  They felt his true value was at least a 5th, but they got to clear cap for Lamar's tag within the next several days.

• Sympathy 1

Way better tackling grade and much lower missed-tackle rate.   Sure looks like Whitehead could be a cap casualty.  $7M in cap savings vs $3M in dead cap if they cut Whitehead. Plus Joyners contract is up. So Clark at SS and a new FS could be in the cards.

With the Jets getting ready to spend real money on the QB position, they can’t overpay for other ok players anymore.  Berrios is now gone, I think Whitehead is on the ropes, something will happen to Lawson and Davis.  Feeney will not be on the roster.  

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

So can someone tell me who Chuck Clark is?

4 year starter at safety for the Ravens who asked for a trade when they drafted Hamilton, didn't get traded, wound up staying a starter due to injuries and his performance, and had a very good season. 

"According to Pro Football Focus, Clark aligned at free safety for 531 snaps last season, inside the box for 331 snaps, at slot corner for 180 snaps, as a defensive lineman for 77 snaps and out wide for 30 snaps. He was similarly flexible in his previous seasons with the team. "

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

from a good friend avid Ravens fan:

[QUOTE=Shrubbs;2458606]  Better person than player. I'd consider him an average starter. He's athletically limited, not the fastest but makes up for it with good instincts. Has experience being the on-the-field coach of the defense with green dot duties. Super heady guy. And he will lay the wood. Definitely his best attribute is his willingness to be physical. Don't expect him one on one vs slot receivers or running backs.
Quality player, definitely not a star. But every roster has guys like that on it that are important.[/QUOTE]

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1