Jets trade for Safety Chuck Clark

Nothing to get too excited about but better than the safeties we have on the roster, or any safety we could get in the 7th round, and a cheap salary for a potential starting player.

Net/net an upgrade to the safety position group that needed work. Improved tackling at safety is a big plus…

Joe Douglas was never using a high draft pick of big FA money on a safety. This is a cost-effective move with a net savings of $5 million, should they decide to cut Whitehead. Cutting Ashtyn Davis saves another $2.5 million, too.

I imagine they'll add a safety on day 3 and target a mid-level FA -- Jimmy Ward, Donovan Wilson, Taylor Rapp, etc. to fill it out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jbt said:

is Brian Branch a FS?  if so trade down in the 1st to draft him, then OL and LB in the 2nd

I think Branch might not even be there at #13 so trading down won't work.  He has played both FS and SS even LB and Nickel  while at the Capstone.  He's solid. 

47 minutes ago, Dcat said:

from a good friend avid Ravens fan:

[QUOTE=Shrubbs;2458606]  Better person than player. I'd consider him an average starter. He's athletically limited, not the fastest but makes up for it with good instincts. Has experience being the on-the-field coach of the defense with green dot duties. Super heady guy. And he will lay the wood. Definitely his best attribute is his willingness to be physical. Don't expect him one on one vs slot receivers or running backs.
Quality player, definitely not a star. But every roster has guys like that on it that are important.[/QUOTE]

from another Ravens fan I know for many yrs:

[QUOTE=GOTA;2458670] Clark is a classic Strong Safety. He's a great leader and very smart. Clark wore the green dot for the Ravens after Mosley signed with you guys. Clark is not the most athletic guy but is a real hard hitter and always plays balls to the wall. Clark is a lot closer to Jordan Whitehead than Lamarcus Joyner. I don't think he fills that hole at Free Safety the Jets have. I think he's going to compete against Whitehead. He's been a much better run stopper than Whitehead and they both mediocre in pass coverage. [/QUOTE]

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Chuck Clark, since becoming a full-time starter in 2019:

• 4 INTs
  • 29 PDs
  • 5 FFs

Jamal Adams since 2019:

• 3 INTs
  • 16 PDs
  • 3 FFs

how many sacks tho :)

Look i get that you want to gloat about Jamal Adams getting hurt at every opportunity but the fact that it's been 4 years and JD is still scrambling for safety options isn't a good look

The Jets' defense is top 5 but their safeties are god-awful. 

JD thought LaMarcus Joyner was a decent option. Whitehead sucked too. As does Ashtyn Davis. It's hard to trust his judgment. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Look i get that you want to gloat about Jamal Adams getting hurt at every opportunity but the fact that it's been 4 years and JD is still scrambling for safety options isn't a good look

JD thought LaMarcus Joyner was a decent option. Whitehead sucked too. As does Ashtyn Davis. It's hard to trust his judgment. 

He just fixed it.  Sweet deal for a quality proven starter.  Top 5 defense last year with Douglas' "bad look" safeties.  What else you want to complain about?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Let me get this straight, the Jets trade Cashman for a 6th and trade for Clark for a 7th and people want Douglas fired.

^^^ conveniently forgets to add we need this guy because Joyner stunk, Whitehead was overpaid and Ashtyon Davis was a wasted 3rd round pick, but…New Blood Whatever GIF by Dexter

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

“Scrambled”?  lol.  He might have just fixed one of the Safety spots with a 2024 7th….

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, David Harris said:

He just fixed it.  Sweet deal for a quality proven starter.  Top 5 defense last year with Douglas' "bad look" safeties.  What else you want to complain about?

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

“Scrambled”?  lol.  He might have just fixed one of the Safety spots with a 2024 7th….

We'll see 

I don't think he really fixed it tbh

Chuck Clark has 1 year left on his deal. He found a cheaper version of Whitehead, and will probably need to draft another S. Or 2.

19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

We'll see 

I don't think he really fixed it tbh

Chuck Clark has 1 year left on his deal. He found a cheaper version of Whitehead, and will probably need to draft another S. Or 2.

At least we know he won't be using a 1st/2nd rounder on a Safety, so....

Looking at his profile and stats, looks like the Jets got a better version of Whitehead for ~ $5M cheaper cap hit in 2023 (if/when Whitehead is cut).  

Better tackler and better man coverage.  More versatile.

Whitehead was known as a good box run defender (but whiffed last year) and a good zone safety.  

Hoping this allows us to play man that much more since we have a pair of STUD corners.

Let's now prioritize a solid Center and ball hawk Free Safety in free agency + re-signing Herbig + any of Rogers guys that want to come along.

Draft:  LT (if cannot get Bakhtiari) or WR in round 1, LB (round 3), QB (round 4), DT (round 5), IOL (round 6) 

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

^^^ conveniently forgets to add we need this guy because Joyner stunk, Whitehead was overpaid and Ashtyon Davis was a wasted 3rd round pick, but…New Blood Whatever GIF by Dexter

convenienly forgets that joiner was a one year nothing deal...whitehead as a great singing even if not super star and davis was a project pick.

Not saying they are all locks for the roster or should be just that not every pick hits but all of them at times have either played well or well enough and that none of them were really bad moves to begin with. 

Joe has an approach and it is sound. No team is going to get all pro players at every position but the idea that you have cheap option at S is sound. YOu dont spend 1st round picks on safeties. Clark is one example of many why.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mike Maccagnan used a 1st and 2nd round pick on a pair of SS's in the same draft.

Douglas just got a SS better than either of them for a 2024 7th round pick.

And some people want to fire this man and have Woody Johnson hire another Maccagnan.

cant really say it better than this.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

Was the defense better since JD came in as the GM?

As the saying goes, you can't see the forest through the trees.

6 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

convenienly forgets that joiner was a one year nothing deal...whitehead as a great singing even if not super star and davis was a project pick.

Not saying they are all locks for the roster or should be just that not every pick hits but all of them at times have either played well or well enough and that none of them were really bad moves to begin with. 

Joe has an approach and it is sound. No team is going to get all pro players at every position but the idea that you have cheap option at S is sound. YOu dont spend 1st round picks on safeties. Clark is one example of many why.

Context matters. @Claymation was anointing him for basically trading Cashman for Clark.

I pointed out that he and now you seem) to be okay with ignoring the fact that he’s used a 3rd round pick and signed two FA’s in 3 years to shore up the Safety position, yet still needed to look for help there with this trade.

It seems kind of silly to want to pat Douglas on the back for that, no?