Jets trade for Safety Chuck Clark

8 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Was the defense better since JD came in as the GM?

As the saying goes, you can't see the forest through the trees.

Focus on the tree in front of you, my friend.
We’re talking about the weak link of that defense(the Safety position) in this thread, aren’t we? 

52 minutes ago, Claymation said:

They swung, can't get a hit with the bat on your shoulder.

Are the Jets trying to rectify that mistake? From my vantage point they are swinging again.

giving high draft picks and a big chunk of the cap for a washed 40 year old is another bad swing 

all the aaron rodgers fans should dial up the film from the last time he was on a football field, Week 18 losing to Det

the dude is done. that's why this whole thing is taking so long. He's done as a player.

the Jets are paying top dollar for expired groceries

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

At least we know he won't be using a 1st/2nd rounder on a Safety, so....

he never was because JD doesn't value safeties like that 

and fair enough. But it's also safe to say the Jets safeties are league worst, maybe bottom 5. With or Without Chuck Clark 

Chuck Clark is from all accounts a great locker room guy but he's not a difference maker

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

he never was because JD doesn't value safeties like that 

and fair enough. But it's also safe to say the Jets safeties are league worst, maybe bottom 5. With or Without Chuck Clark 

Chuck Clark is from all accounts a great locker room guy but he's not a difference maker

Actually Whitehead was a pretty good safety in Tampa.  Not pro bowl but good.  He came to the Jets and was admittedly confused by scheme and out of position.  Go back and listen to both he and DC they both admitted that on many occasions. Not an excuse but context matters.

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

Context matters. @Claymation was anointing him for basically trading Cashman for Clark.

I pointed out that he and now you seem) to be okay with ignoring the fact that he’s used a 3rd round pick and signed two FA’s in 3 years to shore up the Safety position, yet still needed to look for help there with this trade.

It seems kind of silly to want to pat Douglas on the back for that, no?

Context does indeed matter, and I cannot agree more.

While it may be understandable to be disappointed with the safety group, it must also be acknowledged that the safety position is not the only issue that needed to be addressed and that this is one of the last things to be prioritized. Joe has done an admirable job of rebuilding the team with sound choices and roster construction, and it is necessary to recognize that.

Joe has not overspent, and has done an exemplary job of leading the front office in a professional and well-thought-out way, addressing many team deficiencies. He has taken the clown show that 3 or 4 prior regimes handed him and produced a talented, well-built roster in a very short time frame, leveraging our assets and restarting the clock on many issues.

All the while as you stated consistently using trades and drafts to try and  solve the Safety problem with the limited resources he had while fixing many other issues. His process is sound and effective as anyone can see.

And that my friend is why you should anoint him or at the very least should be acknowledged.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Joe has done an admirable job of rebuilding the team with sound choices and roster construction

Except for the two most important positions, qb and OT. 

And of course safety. Oh yeah also the punter he drafted sucks. 

But yeah except for all that he's a genius 

• Thumb Down 2

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Context does indeed matter, and I cannot agree more.

While it may be understandable to be disappointed with the safety group, it must also be acknowledged that the safety position is not the only issue that needed to be addressed and that this is one of the last things to be prioritized. Joe has done an admirable job of rebuilding the team with sound choices and roster construction, and it is necessary to recognize that.

Joe has not overspent, and has done an exemplary job of leading the front office in a professional and well-thought-out way, addressing many team deficiencies. He has taken the clown show that 3 or 4 prior regimes handed him and produced a talented, well-built roster in a very short time frame, leveraging our assets and restarting the clock on many issues.

All the while as you stated consistently using trades and drafts to try and  solve the Safety problem with the limited resources he had while fixing many other issues. His process is sound and effective as anyone can see.

And that my friend is why you should anoint him or at the very least should be acknowledged.

I’ll wait until he fixes the OL and finds a QB who isn’t a stop gap. Maybe even have a winning season or two before I give him a passing grade, but hey, that’s me.

As of now all I see is a 20-46 record, two horrible drafts and one that was excellent, and a man hoping a 39yo QB can get him a contract extension.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

giving high draft picks and a big chunk of the cap for a washed 40 year old is another bad swing 

all the aaron rodgers fans should dial up the film from the last time he was on a football field, Week 18 losing to Det

the dude is done. that's why this whole thing is taking so long. He's done as a player.

the Jets are paying top dollar for expired groceries

He is a season removed from back to back mvp season.

51 minutes ago, Claymation said:

We are, but is the defense better? It’s a simple yes or no question.

Of course it is. Feel better?

That’s not what this thread is about though, it’s about the Safety position.
Has he done good job with it the past 4 years? It’s a simple yes or no question.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Chuck Clark is such a mediocre safety the ravens used a first Rd pick to replace him 

Hes a good, reliable albeit “boring” player. Not flashy, but incredibly reliable and very versatile. Hard to see the downside in a trade like this, although it looks like you’re trying awfully hard to poo poo on it, good for you!

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, bitonti said:

Except for the two most important positions, qb and OT. 

And of course safety. Oh yeah also the punter he drafted sucks. 

But yeah except for all that he's a genius 

i feel like you are being sarcastic. but using a top pick on premium position is the right way to do it. sure maybe they did not work out but still was good choice. That is the point. we are far from the days for taking a licker or safety in the first round. 

And he cleaned up this roster and turned it into a good team that a qb if talented could win. that is the point. to win.

Not starting a rookie qb is another argument and issue. But that is a HC move not a GM move anyway whatever your comments are what they are.

10 hours ago, ZachWilsonRightArm said:

Hes a good, reliable albeit “boring” player. Not flashy, but incredibly reliable and very versatile. Hard to see the downside in a trade like this, although it looks like you’re trying awfully hard to poo poo on it, good for you!

It's funny how no one knew Chuck Clark's name before the trade now he's a Jet and the dude is Ronnie Lott 

Just now, bitonti said:

It's funny how no one knew Chuck Clark's name before the trade now he's a Jet and the dude is Ronnie Lott 

Stop. Youre exaggerating again. No one said Lott. Just a good trade and please read the commentary from the 2 Ravens fans I trust.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Dcat said:

Stop. Youre exaggerating again. No one said Lott. Just a good trade and please read the commentary from the 2 Ravens fans I trust.

People thought the James Robinson for a 5th round was a steal too 

It's not a good trade until we see this dude play 

he's a versatile but below average player.

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

People thought the James Robinson for a 5th round was a steal too 

What's the relative value of the 7th rounder we traded tho? What is the comparative impact in terms of lockerrom and snap count?

I think that's the best way to frame this trade. Dude was had for a 7th rounder. One step up from cash and future considerations.  

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

He's a four year starter, plenty of people have seen him play. 

Im curious what makes him a below average player? His analytics numbers were pretty good? At least average to above average?

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Considering how little jd gets out of the day 3 picks, very little 

Something tells me that the ravens will find a use for it tho 

See, it's not the fact-value of the trade, it's the the framing of the circumstances involved. 

10 minutes ago, BeaconJet said:

Im curious what makes him a below average player? His analytics numbers were pretty good? At least average to above average?

He's a tackle accumulation guy no real big plays recently. A few pass deflections in 2022 

If he was a good player they don't draft Kyle Hamilton. He's a guy who can play a bunch of positions, none of them really well. He's smart but a below average athlete. 

Maybe it's just cause we're starved for news but he's like a cheaper whitehead. Safety is still a problem, especially coverage 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

yeah not sure what he is talking about. Kid can play the position and will give you decent play if not good. That is better than any 7th rounder you can think of. IT was a good trade for us and a win. Safety is not a premium position and but you do need good play there. there usually is good option available or you can draft good options. 

Problem with draft is you dont want any 7th round safety and we have other priorities higher in the draft. ANother great move by Joe.

32 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

That is better than any 7th rounder you can think of. 

Problem with draft is you dont want any 7th round safety  

Chuck Clark was a 6th round pick 

what this trade basically says is that Joe Douglas doesn't trust himself to find his own Chuck Clark 

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

what this trade basically says is that Joe Douglas doesn't trust himself to find his own Chuck Clark 

He doesn’t have a 6th or 7th round pick this year.  Could be he’s going to cut an expensive safety this year and this is a cheap replacement. 

53 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This is best comment from you, showing your ignorance and stupidity.

It implies that somehow that a GM should trust that their 6th round pick will be a every day starter, which of course is ridiculous. 

Its a lottery ticket, for developmental players to add to your practice squad. Then on top you say it with all confidence. 

lol thanks for this @bitonti it really cheers me up while we wait for this Aaron Rodgers things to sort out.

• Upvote 1