Few Roster Questions while we wait for Rodgers?

1. Who else gets cut?

2. What do we do with Mosley?

3. Do we try to trade for Bakhtiari?  If GB was to release or trade him, they would eat $23.1M in dead money and only save net $5.7M of his 2023 cap # ($28.8M cap).  However, a trade gets something back. 

2023 Jets cap charge = $6.7M salary + $10.8M in bonus dollars (roster, per game, workout) = $17.5M.  This would rank roughly 7-8 highest paid LTs

2024 Jets cap charge = $20.2M salary +$1.3M in bonus dollars (per game, workout) = $21.5M.  This would rank probably around 5th highest paid

Guy is still playing at a high level but has had some knee issues.  Also 32 years old

4. What's the cost of trading for Bakhtiari given the above? 

5. When does Quinnen extension get done?

Trying to keep us busy so we don't kill each other :)

1.  Rodgers only costs $16.5mm in 2023 on the cap.  So after Berrios, if there are adjustments to guys like Lawson and Davis they can fit Rodgers and a few other players.

2.  Mosley is playing the game.  He gets another restructure and more of this cap gets pushed to the future.  He will be a Jets for years.  

3.  Bakhtiari seems like a great temporary idea but he would be very expensive, particularly when the Jets need a C and can probably draft a T.

4.  The Packers should move DB for a reasonable price.  It otherwise costs them close to $20mm in cash for him to play in 2023,  

5.  I think the Jets will do a QW extension this offseason because it will lower his cap number below his 5th year option.  If it does not, they should not.  

• Upvote 1

Would think without a serious pay cut, Lawson will be a goner.  Between JJ, Clemons and Huff (RFA) that's a good core of young edge players to go along with part time edge JFM.  Lawson's contract gives the team an easy out with a minimal dead cap hit. At some point JD needs to draft Mosley's replacement because I don't see him currently on the roster.  Until then, he stays.  I get the cut Corey Davis talk, but I'd be surprised if he goes simply because a replacement FA will likely cost more and I can't envision JD burning another high draft pick on WR this year (more likely middle rounds).  

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. Who else gets cut?

Davis and Whitehead

Restructure, retires a Jet after 2 seasons

3. Do we try to trade for Bakhtiari?  

Yes, his cap hits if traded are ~$17m and ~$20m, I'd imagine we rework that deal but numbers aren't bad. I'd imagine you lose #13 in this trade.

#13 + conditional first

In the final hours in Training Camp while we are on Hard Knocks

^ answers above

3 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. Who else gets cut?

3. Do we try to trade for Bakhtiari?  If GB was to release or trade him, they would eat $23.1M in dead money and only save net $5.7M of his 2023 cap # ($28.8M cap).  However, a trade gets something back. 

2023 Jets cap charge = $6.7M salary + $10.8M in bonus dollars (roster, per game, workout) = $17.5M.  This would rank roughly 7-8 highest paid LTs

2024 Jets cap charge = $20.2M salary +$1.3M in bonus dollars (per game, workout) = $21.5M.  This would rank probably around 5th highest paid

Guy is still playing at a high level but has had some knee issues.  Also 32 years old

1- Whitehead, Corey Davis, Bryce Hall, Ashtyn and I think Lawson gets a restructure. Would free up $30 or so million. 

2- Mosley will be here 

3- Bakhtiari is a really good LT but he’s been hurt and NYJ has had the worst luck with injuries in recent years. I would pass on this as it would likely include the  #13 pick. 

4- #13 and a 24 3rd for Rodgers and Bakhtiari is my guess 

5- after free agency but before the season 

6- I think NYJ and Zadarius Smith will have mutual interest this off-season. If Joe D thinks he can land Smith for sub $15 mil a year I could see him cutting Lawson in favor of Smith. 

55 minutes ago, section314 said:

A big part of the sales pitch to Rodgers has been that he will finally have a top notch Defense to have his back. How does cutting the second leading sack guy and your leading tackler come close to that? 

Cutting Lawson elevates Jermaine Johnson as a starter and creates more pass rushing snaps and money for Bryce Huff. 

Mosley's money can go towards re-signing Quincy Williams and Alexander, while still having some cash leftover to boost the defense even further. 

Q-Williams $7.5M

Alexander $5M

Huff (RFA) $4.3M 

Cutting Lawson elevates Jermaine Johnson as a starter and creates more pass rushing snaps and money for Bryce Huff. 
Mosley's money can go towards re-signing Quincy Williams and Alexander, while still having some cash leftover to boost the defense even further. 
Q-Williams $7.5M
Alexander $5M
Huff (RFA) $4.3M 
Cept Lawson is better than Johnson.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I heard he was willing to help out the team because he missed a year, idk how much lower he'd be willing to go

Do you even know how the salary cap works?

If Mosely restructures he gets MORE of his future possible contract/cap cost dollars up front in a bonus...he ain't 'going lower'.

3 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Do you even know how the salary cap works?

If Mosely restructures he gets MORE of his future possible contract/cap cost dollars up front in a bonus...he ain't 'going lower'.

I was talking about Carl Lawson, not CJ Mosley but we can talk Mosley.

If Mosley restructures he converts base salary to signing bonus. A signing bonus is spread out across the remaining years of the contract. So you would be lowering his cap hit for this year but then adding to the remaining years slightly. 

The reason do this is because you expect the cap to go up and you plan on keeping the player. With Mosley I think you tell him you want him to retire a Jet, drop his cap hit this year and then have him locked in for year 2 of Rodgers. 

Future money is the base salary so he still would have got it this year, it's just paid out in a lump sum to save cap space this year.

18 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. Who else gets cut?

I think it would moronic to trade for Baktiari.  The guy is 32 years old, and has had injuries recently I believe. Duane Brown is coming back to the Jets, and he has been a great player for us last year.  He played hurt, but deserves to come back, and we don't have to give up valuable draft picks to keep him.  Becton is someone you can't count on, but what if he is healthy this year?  Then what to do with Baktari?  At the #13 pick, there WILL be at least 1 elite offensive tackle on the board.  By picking one of them, we stay cheap and we get young, and don't give up draft picks, all in one shot.  Max Mitchell will be back for year #2.  Any way you look at it, dumb to trade for Baktari.  

• Upvote 1

1.  Several cuts coming.  Like Berrios, those who won't restructure (Mosley, Tomlinson, Davis, Fant, McGovern, Lawson, Whitehead) get cut.

2.  Restructure his cap hit big time.

3.  Did you see Laken Tomlinson?  From a top 5 guard to a stiff in 1 year.  No more paying a premium for old guys. 

4.  Nothing.

5. Will go to the wire.  If he is reasonable, it will get done.  If not, he gets $9.5 under his 5th year option exercise.  If necessary, they can franchise him twice.  He's going nowhere.

40 minutes ago, Alka said:

I think it would moronic to trade for Baktiari.  The guy is 32 years old, and has had injuries recently I believe. Duane Brown is coming back to the Jets, and he has been a great player for us last year.  He played hurt, but deserves to come back, and we don't have to give up valuable draft picks to keep him.  Becton is someone you can't count on, but what if he is healthy this year?  Then what to do with Baktari?  At the #13 pick, there WILL be at least 1 elite offensive tackle on the board.  By picking one of them, we stay cheap and we get young, and don't give up draft picks, all in one shot.  Max Mitchell will be back for year #2.  Any way you look at it, dumb to trade for Baktari.  

Using 13 for a new OT as opposed to an old, expensive, beaten up OT makes much more sense.  

But helping GB unload DB  and his salary (which vests soon), and justify giving them a 1st round draft pick they need to feed their fans, could make taking DB in a requirement.   

This is a 1-2 run with later collapse strategy, for there may not be a need for a long-term OT who needs to get paid in 4 years may not be necessary.