Jets won’t tender James Robinson

jtomm

The Jets are going to let James Robinson hit the open market.

According to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN, New York will not tender Robinson, who was slated to become a restricted free agent.That means Robinson will be free to sign with any team without the Jets getting a chance to match.New York acquired Robinson in a midseason trade with the Jaguars. He appeared in four games, playing 57 offensive snaps. He had just 85 yards on 29 carries along with two receptions for 5 yards.

Overall in 11 games last season, Robinson recorded 425 yards on 110 carries with three touchdowns. He caught 11 passes for 51 yards.Robinson joined the Jaguars as an undrafted free agent in 2020. He rushed for 1,070 yards as a rookie with seven touchdowns and caught 49 passes for 344 yards with three TDs that season.

--- https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/10/jets-wont-tender-james-robinson/

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Another poop from Joe Dogass.

Not surprising.

But it was a swing and a miss for a 5th round pick as an injury replacement to try and keep the offense going and the playoff hopes alive. Didnt work out, BFD.  Maybe we actually get a comp pick next year. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

Not a shock, he was basically ineffective when needed most.

Sadly, so was both Carter and Knight.

I'll keep banging this drum, but RB is a need. 

Hall may or may not be back for opening day, and may or may not be what he was pre-injury.

Carter is a fragile JAG.  Knight is a try-hard, credit to him, but he's mostly a JAG too.

We need a HR hitter.  Someone who can take it to the house on any carry.

Good enough isn't good enough if we want to win more games.  Even if we get Rodgers, but more so if we don't.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Not a shock, he was basically ineffective when needed most.

Sadly, so was both Carter and Knight.

I'll keep banging this drum, but RB is a need. 

Hall may or may not be back for opening day, and may or may not be what he was pre-injury.

Carter is a fragile JAG.  Knight is a try-hard, credit to him, but he's mostly a JAG too.

We need a HR hitter.  Someone who can take it to the house on any carry.

Good enough isn't good enough if we want to win more games.  Even if we get Rodgers, but more so if we don't.

Yeah, agreed. Many of my mock drafts include another RB. I also think a cheap veteran makes sense.

Still would have preferred Jeff Wilson over James Robinson and his Achilles recovery.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I had no issue with the move at the time but ended up being a total whiff. Unfortunate.

It was predictable based on the deal.   He was a proven runner they wanted as a reserve or emergency fill in.   For him to change that plan, he had to out produce the others and he wasn't able to for some reason ( health)?

4 hours ago, jtomm said:

The Jets are going to let James Robinson hit the open market.

According to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN, New York will not tender Robinson, who was slated to become a restricted free agent.That means Robinson will be free to sign with any team without the Jets getting a chance to match.New York acquired Robinson in a midseason trade with the Jaguars. He appeared in four games, playing 57 offensive snaps. He had just 85 yards on 29 carries along with two receptions for 5 yards.

Overall in 11 games last season, Robinson recorded 425 yards on 110 carries with three touchdowns. He caught 11 passes for 51 yards.Robinson joined the Jaguars as an undrafted free agent in 2020. He rushed for 1,070 yards as a rookie with seven touchdowns and caught 49 passes for 344 yards with three TDs that season.

--- https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/10/jets-wont-tender-james-robinson/

I hope he is our RB three this year. I alwasy like him and feel like he can contribute. It be great to have hall, knight and him on the team this year.

5 hours ago, BeaconJet said:

Not surprising.

But it was a swing and a miss for a 5th round pick as an injury replacement to try and keep the offense going and the playoff hopes alive. Didnt work out, BFD.  Maybe we actually get a comp pick next year. 

Excuse me, it's a 6th round pick, not a 5th round pick!  It would have changed to a 5th round pick, if he got a couple hundred more yards, but didn't get it.  The Jets give up a 6th round pick.

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

Given how big of a fan I was as an underdog in the draft, -- and the early success he had, this/he has been a big disappointment.

He had to be hurt last season. He fell off a cliff. Really liked him before they got him. Thought it was a great move. The player we saw was a different player.

• Upvote 2