Jump to content

Can We Not Bring In Every Old Free Agent WR in the NFL...Please?


Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It's bad enough bringing in a 40 year old QB.  The talk about OBJ, Thielen, Hopkins, and/or Marvin Jones is very troubling.  Check the stats over the past few years. Receiver is now a young man's position in the NFL. Receivers over 30 years old just don't produce any more.  These guys are all far too old, too highly compensated, and too injury prone.  Stay far away from all of them.....Don't pay for past performance. It's a black hole.  All four of these guys are done.

You may not have as much company here as you would have a week or two ago.  I've come to learn in the past few days that past injuries are no longer the deterrent they once were in pursuing a player.  

  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It's bad enough bringing in a 40 year old QB.  The talk about OBJ, Thielen, Hopkins, and/or Marvin Jones is very troubling.  Check the stats over the past few years. Receiver is now a young man's position in the NFL. Receivers over 30 years old just don't produce any more.  These guys are all far too old, too highly compensated, and too injury prone.  Stay far away from all of them.....Don't pay for past performance. It's a black hole.  All four of these guys are done.

What happened to the “we’re going to be patient and build this team the right way… for the long term!”

One hot seat later, that’s all out the window and now we’re trying to become the Rams and Bucs?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

If you’re bringing in Rodgers, you’re doing so with the intent of going all-out for a Superbowl over the next year or two.

In that case, give me the 30 year old pro-bowl receiver over the young kid who still needs development time.

Except these young receivers don't need development time any longer. And the over 29 players fall off a cliff.  There are no more 30 year old pro bowl receivers, only 30 year old former pro bowl receivers.  OBJ is old and coming off a serious injury.  That's a recipe for disappointment and disaster.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Except these young receivers don't need development time any longer. And the over 29 players fall off a cliff.  There are no more 30 year old pro bowl receivers, only 30 year old former pro bowl receivers.  OBJ is old and coming off a serious injury.  That's a recipe for disappointment and disaster.  

You mean except for Mims and Moore. And before that the jets drafted a number of receivers in the second round who were not good.  One of the pluses with Davis is that it seemed the team was more settled with him in the line up. He’s a little old and certainly has had injury issues. To discount what an obj can bring is a little foolish. How’s tyreek doing? He’s just about thirty. Jerry rice and Larry Fitzgerald were both plenty good in their mid to late thirties.  And it’s not like I’m an obj fan but he showed some pretty amazing ability and even at his age is probably a more reliable receiver than Mims. It doesn’t hurt to have one of these guys and it doesn’t hurt to look.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

What happened to the “we’re going to be patient and build this team the right way… for the long term!”

One hot seat later, that’s all out the window and now we’re trying to become the Rams and Bucs?

Necessity is the mother of invention and the wicked stepmother of desperation. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It's bad enough bringing in a 40 year old QB.  The talk about OBJ, Thielen, Hopkins, and/or Marvin Jones is very troubling.  Check the stats over the past few years. Receiver is now a young man's position in the NFL. Receivers over 30 years old just don't produce any more.  These guys are all far too old, too highly compensated, and too injury prone.  Stay far away from all of them.....Don't pay for past performance. It's a black hole.  All four of these guys are done.

agree except for Nuk who is a very special talent.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watching the Sauce Gardner video with Garrett and Breece reminded me of just how much our team culture has changed for the better. JD and Saleh have done an incredible job getting talented football players who also happen to be good human beings. I cant understand fans that want OBJ and possibly ruin it all. To me, its not worth it

  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Untouchable said:

If you’re bringing in Rodgers, you’re doing so with the intent of going all-out for a Superbowl over the next year or two.

In that case, give me the 30 year old pro-bowl receiver over the young kid who still needs development time.

Exactly! If you acquire Rogers, you are essentially going all in. At that point, aging veterans on either side of the ball make complete sense on short term deals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think youre wrong here. If Corey Davis is cut, you have Mims, Moore, Wilson, and some fringe guys. Not a lot of experience. Unless you're going after hopkins, going after an older guy doesn't neccesarily mean youre trying to land a guy who will become a major cog in the offense. You'd likely be trying to bring in a guy that has the expirience, a guy that can help in the clutch moments while also helping to lead a really young WR group. Going and getting a vet for the group is actually a pretty good idea.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It's bad enough bringing in a 40 year old QB.  The talk about OBJ, Thielen, Hopkins, and/or Marvin Jones is very troubling.  Check the stats over the past few years. Receiver is now a young man's position in the NFL. Receivers over 30 years old just don't produce any more.  These guys are all far too old, too highly compensated, and too injury prone.  Stay far away from all of them.....Don't pay for past performance. It's a black hole.  All four of these guys are done.

Who have we brought in?  
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

What happened to the “we’re going to be patient and build this team the right way… for the long term!”

One hot seat later, that’s all out the window and now we’re trying to become the Rams and Bucs?

We sign Rodgers and we’re totally in win now, go for it mode?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

What happened to the “we’re going to be patient and build this team the right way… for the long term!”

One hot seat later, that’s all out the window and now we’re trying to become the Rams and Bucs?

Zach Wilson happened. 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It's bad enough bringing in a 40 year old QB.  The talk about OBJ, Thielen, Hopkins, and/or Marvin Jones is very troubling.  Check the stats over the past few years. Receiver is now a young man's position in the NFL. Receivers over 30 years old just don't produce any more.  These guys are all far too old, too highly compensated, and too injury prone.  Stay far away from all of them.....Don't pay for past performance. It's a black hole.  All four of these guys are done.

Couldn't agree more, though I do think we're going to make moves like this for AR (if he comes here).

I remember how many people wanted to trade the pick we took GW with for Deebo Samuel.  How awful would that be right now?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

You mean except for Mims and Moore. And before that the jets drafted a number of receivers in the second round who were not good.  One of the pluses with Davis is that it seemed the team was more settled with him in the line up. He’s a little old and certainly has had injury issues. To discount what an obj can bring is a little foolish. How’s tyreek doing? He’s just about thirty. Jerry rice and Larry Fitzgerald were both plenty good in their mid to late thirties.  And it’s not like I’m an obj fan but he showed some pretty amazing ability and even at his age is probably a more reliable receiver than Mims. It doesn’t hurt to have one of these guys and it doesn’t hurt to look.

Finding outliers like Rice and Fitz is not an argument. Joe Willie is correct. Same reason Rodgers is a serious gamble. But I think Woody is desperate for the jets to be interesting and relevant more than winning a SB. I would suggest that putting more good money after bad for guys like Bakhtiari or Hopkins or obj would simply bury this team in cap hell with little to show. Rodgers will be entertaining for a year maybe two. That's what it's all about. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Finding outliers like Rice and Fitz is not an argument. Joe Willie is correct. Same reason Rodgers is a serious gamble. But I think Woody is desperate for the jets to be interesting and relevant more than winning a SB. I would suggest that putting more good money after bad for guys like Bakhtiari or Hopkins or obj would simply bury this team in cap hell with little to show. Rodgers will be entertaining for a year maybe two. That's what it's all about. 

Well yes but let’s not conflate age with past contract demands. If the jets are looking at guys like obj or Hopkins it’s not at the salary or cap value of what these guys were in their prime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...