Jets restructure some contracts freeing up space

36 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

$7.25 m saved in Cap Space

Plus clark is a better player.  I cant see how Whitehead remains on the team.

Also dont forget the team really likes Tony Adams who played well the last 2 games of the year.  It would be a huge risk, but he could be a player in the mix for FS next year.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So Jets are now $15.2 mm under the cap.

What is Rodgers cap hit expected to be? :-)

i believe i read it was only like 15.1 mil ...but then i read this ...

Rodgers has $59.465 million guaranteed if he plays in 2023, as part of the three-year, $150 million contract extension he signed in March. It carries a salary-cap charge of $31,623,570 for next season.

Edited by Dunnie

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Rodgers has $59.465 million guaranteed if he plays in 2023, as part of the three-year, $150 million contract extension he signed in March. It carries a salary-cap charge of $31,623,570 for next season.

Yeah, I honestly don't know. Moreover, it's almost certain to change when the trade happens.  Those numbers are if the Jets took 100% - which we know won't be the case.

Once the deal is announced and details release we'll have a chance to dig in.

38 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Packers would take on $15.83 million in dead cap if traded making his cap hit $15.79M instead of $31M for the Jets.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

yeah but i've read that if a team trades for him his cap hit for that team with be a bit over 15 million. not sure why, but thats what i read

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Not sure about that. He may be Joyner's replacement.

Clark is a solid tackler, who will address a big weakness in our rush defense.  He is also very proficient near the line in coverage and in covering the tight end.  That is Whitehead's job/  Whitehead was in the bottom 3 in the league in missed tackles by safeties.

Clark grades out much lower in space.  Baltimore used him as a strong safety.  Whitehead needs to go.

• Upvote 1

Reed obviously isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so was really the perfect candidate for restructure.  Conklin I have no problem with either, as I think he gets a little too much hate around here.  With the complete dearth of TE talent in the NFL these days after you get past the top 5 or so, he's definitely a starting-caliber player, so little reason to believe the Jets will be in a rush to get rid of him unless Ruckert totally breaks out and someone offers decent trade comp.

Tomlinson is just the idiocy of last year's CJ Mosley restructure repeated, and while I know the argument is that theoretically the #s net out over time, the problem is JD has shown himself on more than one occasion to be quite guilty of the sunk cost fallacy.  The fact that there's rumors of more talks going on with Mosley would be absurd if the topic is anything but an outright pay cut.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, I honestly don't know. Moreover, it's almost certain to change when the trade happens.  Those numbers are if the Jets took 100% - which we know won't be the case.

Once the deal is announced and details release we'll have a chance to dig in.

This Packers reporters says it's $15.79. Not sure if he's right or not though.

Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 11.28.39 AM.png

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

Plus clark is a better player.  I cant see how Whitehead remains on the team.

Also dont forget the team really likes Tony Adams who played well the last 2 games of the year.  It would be a huge risk, but he could be a player in the mix for FS next year.

Whitehead…. Remembering some of those terrible missed tackles allowing running backs to make huge gains in critical points of the game. Clark doesn’t miss those tackles!

Bye Bye Goodbye GIF

4 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Not sure about that. He may be Joyner's replacement.

Clark is a SS and so is Whitehead. Neither one is suitable to switch to FS or our coverage in the deep field is going to be real bad. They need another pure FS either Adams who is on the team already or another player from FA or the draft.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Those are the numbers for GB retaining him. Current contract with a trade is like between 15-16M Cap hit for 2023 with ~60M guaranteed without any contract restructure.

So, in another post about where the savings could come from for Rodgers, I had made the following suggestions:

1) Figure out a way to make CJ Mosely contract work, because he could be a post-June 1 cut and save a bunch on the cap.  So, if he wants to stay....

2) Restructure or out right cut Carl Lawson, Corey Davis, Braxton Berrios, Jordan Whitehead. 

3) Rework DJ Reed's contract as he has proved to be worth keeping around and would free up money this year.  Possibly rework Bryce Hall as well.  We could rework JLM as well, which would guarantee one more year after 2023.  2025 he is fully cuttable. 

4.  Maybe rework one of our TE's (Conklin or Uzomah) for a little wiggle room. 

5) Outright cut Ashtyn Davis 

Hopefully save room to sign Quincy Williams or Kwon Alexander, Nate Herbig, Cedric Ogbeuhi, Laurent Duvernay Tardif, Greg Zeurlein, Sheldon Rankins, and either Conner McGovern or another center.  

So far, so good.  It will be interesting to see what we do in F/A.  We need some Oline depth, and all three mentioned above played better than expected.  The cost of course will be key.  I think we need one of either Williams or Alexander back, and I think we have to draft a LB this year.  We are QUITE thin at DT because of free agency, so if not him than a draft pick.  We have to sign Zeurlein as well.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yikes... certainly eating away at that 2024 cap mighty quickly.  Hopefully a significant volume of that clears off for both Tomlinson and Uzomah if/when cut next year.

Um.....Tomlinson is over $10 million in dead money in 2024.  Uzomah is about $6 million pre-June 1.  Not sure either are going anywhere.   If we sign Rodgers, lets see what Uzomah can do.  

3 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Reed obviously isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so was really the perfect candidate for restructure.  Conklin I have no problem with either, as I think he gets a little too much hate around here.  With the complete dearth of TE talent in the NFL these days after you get past the top 5 or so, he's definitely a starting-caliber player, so little reason to believe the Jets will be in a rush to get rid of him unless Ruckert totally breaks out and someone offers decent trade comp.

Tomlinson is just the idiocy of last year's CJ Mosley restructure repeated, and while I know the argument is that theoretically the #s net out over time, the problem is JD has shown himself on more than one occasion to be quite guilty of the sunk cost fallacy.  The fact that there's rumors of more talks going on with Mosley would be absurd if the topic is anything but an outright pay cut.

JD is trying to make the sheete sandwich Mac left on the desk taste as good as possibly.   Mosely can actually be a post-June 1 cut and make it palatable.  Perhaps that can be used as a 'threat' to re-negotiate.  We shall see.