Interest in Jamaal Williams

I have an uneven opinion of Jamaal Williams.

He is the reason I DESPISED the idea of McCarthy as the Jets head coach.  McC couldn’t see that Aaron Jones was infinitely better than Williams when it was obvious to the rest of the world.  I used to call JW a slug.

Turns out, he dropped some weight and can actually play…

Still, meh…

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

He is the reason I DESPISED the idea of McCarthy as the Jets head coach.  McC couldn’t see that Aaron Jones was infinitely better than Williams when it was obvious to the rest of the world.  I used to call JW a slug.

Still, meh…

Yeah he isn’t a superstar but a very good, north-south, goal line back. One year deal likely. 

15 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Still, meh…

He’ll be back in Detroit unless someone blows him away with an offer. Team is pointing upwards and they’re a good match

6 minutes ago, Alworth said:

Signing a quality FA running back is very inefficient cap use. The draft is the way to go. And Warfish is right--drafting one this year is an imperative given the shakiness of the overall Jets running back situaiton.

Typically free agency signings in general are inefficient and overpriced.

I think success barometer is based on money time and productivity. 

If signing a RB precludes us from signing someone at a premium position, yeah thats inefficient.

But it also possibly opens up the draft for us to get a young player at a premium position instead of using a pick on a RB

• Upvote 1

Important to note that Hackett will 100% want a tandem, at minimum. He tried last year to establish the sane with Javonte and Melvin. Injuries and age blew it up, but he even added Latavius to ensure he had a rotation.

So, as good as Breece is, Jacobite was just as good looking. I think the philosophy is fine, as long as it maximized both guys - rather than proving a hinderance.

The list of FA RB this year is stacked. I’m looking forward to seeing who we sign.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Typically free agency signings in general are inefficient and overpriced.

I think success barometer is based on money time and productivity. 

If signing a RB precludes us from signing someone at a premium position, yeah thats inefficient.

But it also possibly opens up the draft for us to get a young player at a premium position instead of using a pick on a RB

I was comparing what this particular RB, coming off a 17 TD season, would cost versus the cost of a third round rb in a draft where a good one should still be available at that pick. I should have been clearer, because your comments are also true.

We have drafted running backs in 3 straight drafts. We still have the young guys in Hall, Carter and Bam. We need a veteran RB. I dont think Williams will cost us a ton, especially if we get Aaron here first and he sees the vision. Hackett knows him. Rodgers loves him. And what will our other FA vet RBs have to offer? I think we can take one year off from drafting an RB. Just my opinion.

11 hours ago, JETS SB said:

We have drafted running backs in 3 straight drafts. We still have the young guys in Hall, Carter and Bam. We need a veteran RB. I dont think Williams will cost us a ton, especially if we get Aaron here first and he sees the vision. Hackett knows him. Rodgers loves him. And what will our other FA vet RBs have to offer? I think we can take one year off from drafting an RB. Just my opinion.

The base cost and the Rodgers effect (even if AR signs)  are a bit unknown (he could ask for Leveon money and I still am in aftershock about that deal). But your take too is fair. One thing for sure is that we all agree with Warfish that beefing up the RB room is a need, not a luxury. 

My favorite non-Jets player.  He just oozes fun and from every single account ever is a great locker room guy. 

If you're going to slightly overpay for a "mid" FA RB he is one of those guys that can help an offense more than just his play on the field.

Plus he is an excellent pass blocker and great short yardage bruiser.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Still, meh…

which doesn't speak too well about your opinions with all due respect. The Jets had a choice back when they were deciding on a new head coach. The 3 finalists were Eric Bienemy, Coach Mike McCarthy, or Adam Gase, and they chose GASE. You know what our ex coach is doing right now? If I wrote it down no one would believe me...look it up 

18 hours ago, Alworth said:

The base cost and the Rodgers effect (even if AR signs)  are a bit unknown (he could ask for Leveon money and I still am in aftershock about that deal). But your take too is fair. One thing for sure is that we all agree with Warfish that beefing up the RB room is a need, not a luxury. 

We all?

Paisley mind it for the right price. RB isn’t really an area I want us spending a decent amount of cap when we have Hall (even though he’s coming off injury), Carter and Knight. Williams does offer something that Carter and Knight don’t in that big body and size for short yardage. But Hall is plenty big enough to make those runs and it’s not like Carter and Bam (hence his nickname) are scared to run hard.

I also see Williams probably trying to cash in on a HUGE TD season. When really as a total package RB he’s not great. He just got the ball inside the 5 a ton.

So at the right price (under 4-5mill) I’d be good with bringing him in.

On 3/11/2023 at 9:07 PM, Alworth said:

I was comparing what this particular RB, coming off a 17 TD season, would cost versus the cost of a third round rb in a draft where a good one should still be available at that pick. I should have been clearer, because your comments are also true.

At 28 his contract shouldn't be bad -- as likely as not it'll be a rotational salary for someone elsewhere.

The cost of a 3rd round pick in dollars is better, but the starter elsewhere that then isn't drafted with that 3rd round pick maybe means they sign a veteran instead -- a veteran whose contract exceeds that of a veteran RB like Williams. e.g. more cap space is probably saved by using that day 2 pick on a safety, LB, G/C, etc. than on a late-20s RB.

In truth, once their prime age years are behind them a veteran RB is a bargain FA. It's when they're hitting FA at age 24-25, that their $ gets up there. But late-20s guys who aren't in the franchise tag level? They're in the $1-3MM range. Williams would probably get a bit more than that after a 17-TD season, but he's not going to get some $8-10MM/year contract that they'd feel when trying to fit others, let alone will it contain multiple guaranteed seasons at such levels.

I think Carter is on thinner ice than some think if he doesn't have a major rebound. In 2021 as one of the team's few bright spots he was easy to like -- a mid-round rookie who broke tackles that seemed to have him wrapped up or dead to rights. But that dried up this past season, and frankly he's always been an inconsistent (and often terrible) pass blocker, which is a drive killer - not to mention, potentially a QB killer - trait for a 3rd down back, and he's further been a poor match for short yardage. All that goes for Ty Johnson, too. 

So yeah I think a veteran RB is what's needed here -- tail end of a player's prime where even two more starter-level seasons is optimistic, but whose contract should match that. Also I'm reading between the lines here, that they don't expect Hall to really be Hall at least the first half of the season, and potentially not until the 2024 season. The Jets need a short-term starting RB and a veteran who turns 28 early next month would be a solid fit without being a major cost. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

At 28 his contract shouldn't be bad -- as likely as not it'll be a rotational salary for someone elsewhere.

The cost of a 3rd round pick in dollars is better, but the starter elsewhere that then isn't drafted with that 3rd round pick maybe means they sign a veteran instead -- a veteran whose contract exceeds that of a veteran RB like Williams. e.g. more cap space is probably saved by using that day 2 pick on a safety, LB, G/C, etc. than on a late-20s RB.

In truth, once their prime age years are behind them a veteran RB is a bargain FA. It's when they're hitting FA at age 24-25, that their $ gets up there. But late-20s guys who aren't in the franchise tag level? They're in the $1-3MM range. Williams would probably get a bit more than that after a 17-TD season, but he's not going to get some $8-10MM/year contract that they'd feel when trying to fit others, let alone will it contain multiple guaranteed seasons at such levels.

I think Carter is on thinner ice than some think if he doesn't have a major rebound. In 2021 as one of the team's few bright spots he was easy to like -- a mid-round rookie who broke tackles that seemed to have him wrapped up or dead to rights. But that dried up this past season, and frankly he's always been an inconsistent (and often terrible) pass blocker, which is a drive killer - not to mention, potentially a QB killer - trait for a 3rd down back, and he's further been a poor match for short yardage. All that goes for Ty Johnson, too. 

So yeah I think a veteran RB is what's needed here -- tail end of a player's prime where even two more starter-level seasons is optimistic, but whose contract should match that. Also I'm reading between the lines here, that they don't expect Hall to really be Hall at least the first half of the season, and potentially not until the 2024 season. The Jets need a short-term starting RB and a veteran who turns 28 early next month would be a solid fit without being a major cost. 

Carter looked decent when he was the clear number 2 behind hall. As the 1, he looked bad. The team tried to get him going but it says something when you get replaced by knight. 

Why on earth would you do this?  You're going to give him a 3rd contract after a season he'll never come close to repeating while his price tag is the highest it will ever be?  This is flat out moronic when you're supposedly trying to sign a veteran QB and still have Q. Will to lock up.

This cant be a real report. 

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Paisley mind it for the right price. RB isn’t really an area I want us spending a decent amount of cap when we have Hall (even though he’s coming off injury), Carter and Knight. Williams does offer something that Carter and Knight don’t in that big body and size for short yardage. But Hall is plenty big enough to make those runs and it’s not like Carter and Bam (hence his nickname) are scared to run hard.

I also see Williams probably trying to cash in on a HUGE TD season. When really as a total package RB he’s not great. He just got the ball inside the 5 a ton.

So at the right price (under 4-5mill) I’d be good with bringing him in.

I'm not out on Carter yet.  Many bailing out on him already.  Bam, Carter, Hall are fine, but it's just that Hall is still recovering and may not be what we expect until later in the season.   Sucks to have to invest in RB when a healthy Hall + Carter and knight would be the way to go.