[OT] Calvin Ridley: "A Letter to the Game"

Dcat

“ I was battling anxiety. I didn’t even want to leave my house. Football was the only thing that ever gave my life meaning, and I couldn’t even find any joy in that at the time. Honestly, I couldn’t even get up off the chair inmy living room. Everything was just … dark. “

Is he sure he just wasn’t at Aaron Rodgers house?

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

This is hard for a dude like me to talk about, but I want to be real with everybody. Back then, I was depressed. I was battling anxiety. I didn’t even want to leave my house. Football was the only thing that ever gave my life meaning, and I couldn’t even find any joy in that at the time. Honestly, I couldn’t even get up off the chair in my living room. Everything was just … dark. 

AaronRodgersSpacedOut.thumb.jpg.c26867bdb975f302be1eb3c7c0a80c71.jpg

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, The Crusher said:

“ I was battling anxiety. I didn’t even want to leave my house. Football was the only thing that ever gave my life meaning, and I couldn’t even find any joy in that at the time. Honestly, I couldn’t even get up off the chair inmy living room. Everything was just … dark. “

Is he sure he just wasn’t at Aaron Rodgers house?

Dang - you just beat me to it!

• Haha 1

Im confused here. 

What is the point of this letter? Is it to drum up sympathy for the fact he got suspended? Explain his actions? Most people already sympathized with any mental health issue he had going on. Ultimately, 99% of what he wrote has absolutely zero to do with the actions of betting on the game. 

Most logical fans heard the context of what he did, and ultimately didnt give a sh*t. Most logical fans thought the year long suspension was asinine. Most logical fans saw the trade and said "damn why didnt my team do that". Most logical fans saw he was reinstated and marked it down on their fantasy football ranking. 

While it's nice he put the effort in, considering that, this comes off like a huge excuse. He could have simply just said "sorry ****ed up, I take full responsibility, and I'll do better to represent Jacksonville", then backed it up on the field.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1

It's amazing how sports gambling has gone from a crime against humanity to as American as apple pie in under a decade. 
It's not just sports betting... It's players sports betting on their own team.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Im confused here. 

What is the point of this letter? Is it to drum up sympathy for the fact he got suspended? Explain his actions? Most people already sympathized with any mental health issue he had going on. Ultimately, 99% of what he wrote has absolutely zero to do with the actions of betting on the game. 

Most logical fans heard the context of what he did, and ultimately didnt give a sh*t. Most logical fans thought the year long suspension was asinine. Most logical fans saw the trade and said "damn why didnt my team do that". Most logical fans saw he was reinstated and marked it down on their fantasy football ranking. 

While it's nice he put the effort in, considering that, this comes off like a huge excuse. He could have simply just said "sorry ****ed up, I take full responsibility, and I'll do better to represent Jacksonville", then backed it up on the field.

You use the words "logical" and "fans" together as if that is a common day occurrence. When in fact, it is an oxymoron. The guy decided to tell his story. I thought it took some guts. Sometimes, it is nice to see a personal, raw side of an athlete. 

Stupid mistake? Absolutely. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, undertow said:

Yeah well if players aren't allowed to bet the NFL prob shouldn't be in bed with gambling companies they called evil 5 years ago.

I'll never understand this logic.

The NFL is "in bed" with Alcohol companies too, should players get free rides on being drunk on the field?

Who advertises during games does not = what players are allowed while playing.

Most logical fans heard the context of what he did, and ultimately didnt give a sh*t. Most logical fans thought the year long suspension was asinine. 

This.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Im confused here. 

He was explaining why he was away from the team for the london game and in general in 2021, thats what the letter is about, it barely has anything to do with gambling and I didnt take it as he was using the anxiety as an excuse for betting, more as a reason he was missing games. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Im confused here. 

The letter isn't about gambling and it certainly isn't to gain sympathy.  I'll bet you didn't even read it.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'll never understand this logic.

The NFL is "in bed" with Alcohol companies too, should players get free rides on being drunk on the field?

Who advertises during games does not = what players are allowed while playing.

This.

My point is it happened overnight....they literally refused to put a franchise in Vegas for 50 years because of the dangers of gambling and now we are supposed to forget about all that and sign up for Draft Kings asap. lol  The league literally fought against legalized gambling in congress for decades and had anti gambling campaigns.....like 7 years ago not 80. lol

• Sympathy 1

LOL... Gambling is a MAJOR Issue... it's Not Just 'I effed up"... IT IS MAJOR "TRUST", Which You - Calvin, Now LOST... If the player with the most hits in baseball -Pre Steroid- who would have been a shoe-in for the BB HOF after a 24 Year Playing Career has been banished from baseball for doing what you are claiming, then you will have to deal with those repercussions as well.. Your actions in the present & future will dictate how you will be judged Calvin... make Them count. 

8 minutes ago, undertow said:

My point is it happened overnight....they literally refused to put a franchise in Vegas for 50 years because of the dangers of gambling and now we are supposed to forget about all that and sign up for Draft Kings asap. lol  The league literally fought against legalized gambling in congress for decades and had anti gambling campaigns.....like 7 years ago not 80. lol

And they lost.

So they made the best of it.

Not sure, again, why you would think this is relevant about players gambling.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The letter isn't about gambling and it certainly isn't to gain sympathy.  I'll bet you didn't even read it.

Apparently you didnt even read your own article past the first paragraph....

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

To the football world, and everyone who loves this game: 

I f***ed up. I’m not here to sugarcoat anything. In 2021, I made the worst mistake of my life by gambling on football.

Think what you want, but the letter was most certainly about gambling, and it was most certainly written to paint himself in a better light. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Apparently you didnt even read your own article past the first paragraph....

Think what you want, but the letter was most certainly about gambling, and it was most certainly written to paint himself in a better light. 

How he is painted is the interpretation of the reader. By evidence here.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Depression is a bitch.  Can even happen to someone who seemingly has everything and is envied by many.

That part of the letter and his circumstances growing up are touching.  I'm a Ridley fan now and wish him the best.

As far as the gambling part... it was a stupid move and he acknowledges that and it was a one time thing for a small amount of money.  Calvin regrets it and was accepting of his punishment.  I didn't read anything that seemed insincere.  This to me is win/win on the gambling aspect.  NFL makes an example of him and looks strong and Ridley gets a second chance.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, JTJet said:

Im confused here. 

Perhaps he thinks his truth will help others in a similar situation. What a jerk.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

He buried the lead entirely. Did he win the parlay?

Seriously, it takes courage to do something like this. When an athlete comes clean, and raw, it is an enlightening moment. Pete Rose was never able to do this in a contrite manner.

I doubt Pete Rose ever actually felt the humility and internal soul searching that Ridley has.  At least he gives no impression thereof.  I believe this kid is sincere.  No idea why the haters are chiming into this thread with all their usual venom. They should just exit the thread instead of pushing their convoluted takes that contribute absolutely nothing except more hate.

• Upvote 3