Potential cap savings

AFJF

A little confused here.  I don't recall the exact numbers, but when I looked at OTC a coupe months ago the dead money vs cap savings on CJ Mosly was so minimal that I figured he was a lock to return.

Looked today out of curiosity and it now says that if designated as a Post June 1st cut, the cap hit is $4.4 million and the savings is $17 million.

Worth noting if Rodgers comes on board because that would leave them with around $3 million in cap space.

OTC also says cutting Lawson is only a hit of $333K and a savings of $15.4 million.

Not sure either one is gone but thought it was worth mentioning given the changed numbers and push to add Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

A little confused here.  I don't recall the exact numbers, but when I looked at OTC a coupe months ago the dead money vs cap savings on CJ Mosly was so minimal that I figured he was a lock to return.

Looked today out of curiosity and it now says that if designated as a Post June 1st cut, the cap hit is $4.4 million and the savings is $17 million.

Worth noting if Rodgers comes on board because that would leave them with around $3 million in cap space.

OTC also says cutting Lawson is only a hit of $333K and a savings of $15.4 million.

Not sure either one is gone but thought it was worth mentioning given the changed numbers and push to add Rodgers.

Both of these are the case. Mosley and Lawson are likely to either be cut and brought back, or at least restructured. The cap savings for both would be enormous. Same with Davis. Those three could constitute a massive, massive cap savings.

• Upvote 2

The thing too is the jets probably aren’t going to make these moves without having a good idea about who they are going after. I don’t see there’s any sense in playing with the cap if there’s no reason.  A guy like Lawson or Davis could be cut but that would mean players already on the team are ready to step up. Both Johnson and clemons showed some good flashes but maybe aren’t ready to supplant Lawson. Same can be said of Mims or Moore trying to supplant Davis.

25 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If they want to wait until after the draft or FA, with the idea that it'll tip his hand if he does so right away, that'd be smart; just so long as it ends with Lawson getting cut or taking the type of pay cut I don't expect him to accept. He played a full season last year. Don't press your luck it'll happen again.

Slit Throat GIF by Madman Films

25 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Mosley is the most overrated defender in the NFL. No one else is making him an offer at his current pay scale, and on the off-chance there is we should make a trade (the other team gets him without committing to any guarantees, which is worth at least a late day 3 pick), but it'd never happen without the Jets eating at least $5MM of Mosley's pay this year; not worth such a late pick, so just cut him. 

A renegotiated contract is a possibility. With Rodgers coming to town, he may be more motivated to stay…. Especially if you have the ability of casting him aside as a Final Cut in the summer

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Do NOT restructure Mosley and push his cap hit into the future.  We are going to need cap space far more a few years from now.  We have to find room for Quinnen.  We are going to be looking at AVT, Breece, Sauce, Wilson etc down the road, do not push the problem into the future over an ilb, that makes tackles on run plays ans short passes.

That is the easiest thing to find.

Who’s communicating the defensive play calling in the huddle? Who’s getting players lined up correctly when an audible is called at the line? You just don’t throw anyone in there. He’s well respected in the locker room and by the coaches. Restructuring could also mean a pay cut or your cut.

Everything is so black & white with you.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Who’s communicating the defensive play calling in the huddle? Who’s getting players lined up correctly when an audible is called at the line? You just don’t throw anyone in there. He’s well respected in the locker room and by the coaches. Restructuring could also mean a pay cut or your cut.

That's Mosley's biggest asset at this point.  And not to diminish it, but 31 other teams get their plays called without Mosley on their roster.

If you can upgrade at the position while saving $7 millioin(ish), you at  least consider it.

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Actually it is the EXACT opposite you are the king of black and white.  You find a new guy to call the plays, plain and simple.

But hey by all means keep an ilb at 17 million s and the wonder why we are going to lose far better payers in premium positions later on.

Where did we get Quincy Williams and Kwon Alexader?  Basically off the street.

Mosley has an absurdly high cap hit for what he brings.  He is not micah parson.s.

Just now, AFJF said:

but 31 other teams get their plays called without Mosley on their roster

Yes, but unfortunately we don’t have another person capable of filling that role. 

Wagner, David, Edmunds & Van dear Esch are the top 4 in FA. How much will they cost us? They’re not coming on a 1 yr. Deal.

Rework CJ deal and draft his replacement.

• Upvote 2

Just now, 32EBoozer said:

you are tv land GIF by nobodies.

I guess we will see how JD handles it. You think he’ll get cut…. I don’t.

No I do not think he will be cut, once again you totally miss the point of what is being said.  He should be cut but he won't they will probably do what people are suggesting restructure, which is a mistake

The Jets are going to have like $23 million tied up in their two ilbs.  LBs that are not expected to blitz, are not great cover guys and just make tackles when the dline keeps them clean.  Tackling lbs are easy to find.  In the draft or cheap FAs.

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Yes, but unfortunately we don’t have another person capable of filling that role. 

Wagner, David, Edmunds & Van dear Esch are the top 4 in FA. How much will they cost us? They’re not coming on a 1 yr. Deal.

Rework CJ deal and draft his replacement.

I'd expect any of them to come in for less than Mosley.  I'd offer Edmunds $12 mil per and see if I can cut $5 mil in cap while getting better on the field.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

You seem to not like the idea of getting younger and better for less money.

OK.

No. You want to throw a blank check to Q. I stated that JD has considerable leverage and using other team’s bad contracts as a template is bad business. I love Q and want him signed as soon as there is equity for him & the Jets.

I will say this, in support of your argument…Payne plays alongside Sweat, Allen & Chase Young. Q plays next to Jags. He’s a great player this past year. JD would be foolish to give him an extension that is top of the Market. That’s all.

12 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

No. You want to throw a blank check to Q. I stated that JD has considerable leverage and using other team’s bad contracts as a template is bad business. I love Q and want him signed as soon as there is equity for him & the Jets.

I will say this, in support of your argument…Payne plays alongside Sweat, Allen & Chase Young. Q plays next to Jags. He’s a great player this past year. JD would be foolish to give him an extension that is top of the Market. That’s all.

Never said anything about a blank check.  Just said pay him sooner rather than later.

Getting your best players locked up before they can significantly increase their demands isn't a bad idea IMO.  For the few million you save with the tag you can erase that (and then some) by waiting too long.

Also...wrong thread. LOL.

Edited by AFJF

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Never said anything about a blank check.  Just said pay him sooner rather than later.

Getting your best players locked up before they can significantly increase their demands isn't a bad idea IMO.  For the few million you save with the tag you can erase that (and then some) by waiting too long.

Also...wrong thread. LOL.

Ok. We’ll see how it plays out. Goodnight.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

This isn't moving mountains. Someone does it on every team, and his value there is offset with him giving up first downs as the offense justifiably targets his zone when they need sure yards. Tackles that finish past the first down marker are his speciality.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

his value there is offset with him giving up first downs as the offense justifiably targets his zone when they need sure yards. Tackles that finish past the first down marker are his speciality.  

Too funny! My question then is how could he possibly be 2nd team All-Pro if he is as bad as you say? I’m not saying he isn’t way overvalued for the production we’re seeing on the field. I just don’t understand the prestigious recognition for mediocre play?

Again, if you cut him, that is an additional position requiring a substantial investment. If you can get Bobby Wagner here for a few Million $ less, I’m all for it. But even he is getting long in the tooth.

42 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Too funny! My question then is how could he possibly be 2nd team All-Pro if he is as bad as you say? I’m not saying he isn’t way overvalued for the production we’re seeing on the field. I just don’t understand the prestigious recognition for mediocre play?

Again, if you cut him, that is an additional position requiring a substantial investment. If you can get Bobby Wagner here for a few Million $ less, I’m all for it. But even he is getting long in the tooth.

Reputation from his Balt days plus so many players get reputation brownie-points when they get paid elite salaries. Baltimore knew him best & their top offer for him (at age 26) maxed out in the $11MM range while Macstupid blew that out of the water with a patently insane $17MM/yr.

One of my favorite (or I guess, least favorite) but quite regular occurrences is when you get a booth broadcaster slobbering over how wonderful he supposedly is, only to see him get juked or dragged past the 1st down marker yet again on the very next play. He has a horrid habit of tackling with his momentum going upfield. 

They don't ask me, but I don't even want him at half his salary because frankly I just don't want him on the field all the time. 

He isn't half the player Wagner is. Totally different class of player, like comparing Derek Carr to Aaron Rodgers. One is an all-time great and the other is merely a legitimate starter being paid like an all-time great. At 35 he'll still be better than CJM's been at 29-30, so yes the Jets should jump on it if the Rams are still having a fire sale.

Also that's a false premise that it requires a "substantial investment" -- he requires probably a day 2 pick if they don't think Sherwood can be more than a reserve. I can accept them holding onto him until after the draft if I know that's their thought process.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They don't ask me, but I don't even want him at half his salary because frankly I just don't want him on the field all the time.

It will be interesting to see how JD views him. Saleh has had the opportunity to work with 2 future HOF player in Wagner and Warner. I’m sure he can best offer a truthful assessment to JD on CJs value.

21 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

It will be interesting to see how JD views him. Saleh has had the opportunity to work with 2 future HOF player in Wagner and Warner. I’m sure he can best offer a truthful assessment to JD on CJs value.

I'm less than sure of this. In fact I'm downright doubtful.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Neither player has any guaranteed money coming to him.

If they don't pay Mosley $17MM, they save $17MM. 

If they don't pay Lawson $15MM, they save $15MM.

That the immediate cap savings is realized more before or after June 1st is a non-factor. First, because they could just designate Mosley a post-6/1 cut. Second, they could just backload other contracts to account for an accelerated hit from Mosley if they didn't.

imo Lawson is a no-brainer. That's why they drafted two edge rushers last year & will (or should) tag Huff. If they keep Lawson and he misses 1/3 to a full season again, Douglas deserves every criticism. I get signing him when the team was desperate at the position, but don't get keeping him when they're not. 

If they want to wait until after the draft or FA, with the idea that it'll tip his hand if he does so right away, that'd be smart; just so long as it ends with Lawson getting cut or taking the type of pay cut I don't expect him to accept.

He played a full season last year. Don't press your luck it'll happen again, and Mosley is the most overrated defender in the NFL. No one else is making him an offer at his current pay scale, and on the off-chance there is we should make a trade (the other team gets him without committing to any guarantees, which is worth at least a late day 3 pick), but it'd never happen without the Jets eating at least $5MM of Mosley's pay this year; not worth such a late pick, so just cut him. 

You just couldn't resist. I know in your head you were like this is a factual cap post I am going to leave it at that. Then booooommm it happened again LOL!

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, AFJF said:

That's Mosley's biggest asset at this point.  And not to diminish it, but 31 other teams get their plays called without Mosley on their roster.

If you can upgrade at the position while saving $7 millioin(ish), you at  least consider it.

Ok but 31 other teams have somebody competent to call plays, too. Is there somebody else on the roster competent at that function who is at least as good? If so, let him go. If the coaching staff failed to think that far forward, Douglas may not have a choice but to keep Mosley around.

30 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am much more concerned that he thinks Jamien Sherwood is going to be a great everyday MLB than that he is overrating CJ Mosley.

;)

And I'm not saying he is; we've barely seen him ourselves. But there's a lot of space in between putting all the team's MLB eggs into Sherwood and paying Mosley $17MM again. I doubt the team would do that anyway.

There are other veterans out there - who won't get $17MM/year - and there are other rookies to draft. 

50 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Ok but 31 other teams have somebody competent to call plays, too. Is there somebody else on the roster competent at that function who is at least as good? If so, let him go. If the coaching staff failed to think that far forward, Douglas may not have a choice but to keep Mosley around.

I believe that if they don't have Mosley, they'll add somebody else who can call the plays.  Just as those other 31 teams have done.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, AFJF said:

I'd expect any of them to come in for less than Mosley.  I'd offer Edmunds $12 mil per and see if I can cut $5 mil in cap while getting better on the field.

?

Bears are giving former Bills’ LB Tremaine Edmunds a 4-yr, $72M that includes $50M guaranteed, per source. It is the largest 4-year contract for an inside linebacker in the