Jets extend a 2nd RD tender on Bryce Huff

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Wait, how could this happen, I thought our front office was 100% busy waiting on Rodgers? That Rodgers was a screwing up free agency and everything else?

No offense but this post is ridiculous and way off base. You think putting a tender on your own RFA is the same thing as trying to lure a potential UFA?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Wait, how could this happen, I thought our front office was 100% busy waiting on Rodgers? That Rodgers was a screwing up free agency and everything else?

Tagging one of your own isn't exactly recruiting FA's.

I'm sure the Jets have a plan - but recruiting free agents (particularly ones for offense) and having a massive ? at QB is a legitimate concern.

17 minutes ago, choon328 said:

No offense but this post is ridiculous and way off base. You think putting a tender on your own RFA is the same thing as trying to lure a potential UFA?

Free agency hasn’t started yet. He has restructured numerous contracts to create cap space, released Berrios, signed Quincy Williams, tendered Huff and traded for Safety Chuck Clark. JD has the front office operating at full function. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

30 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I think what he meant was some posters  were saying JD couldn’t start making FA moves until they had a yay or nay on Rodgers. 

• Upvote 1

I thought this means another team can sign him and then they would give us a 2nd round pick.  I prefer to sign him and have him as part of our young core.
Completely agree... but then what do we do with him next year if he continues to develop? Long term deal?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, frankiepapa said:

Completely agree... but then what do we do with him next year if he continues to develop? Long term deal?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

They can extend him during the season. It doesn't need to only happen in March of this year or next.

Truth is in order to lock him up for longer, the smart play is to do what they've done: first tag him so he realizes he has to get through another season of health + production before he's got a shot at shopping himself around.

Or maybe they just want to first see that he doesn't go on IR in August, and offer him an extension in late Sept or early Oct instead of during the offseason. The danger there is that'd probably only get offered if he goes on a sudden tear, and then they're betting that's the player's new baseline (like JD did with JFM and Griffin).

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, slats said:

It does mean that. Probably a fairly safe gamble that no one will sign him to an offer sheet, but also that JD will happily take the second rounder if it comes to that. 

This.

They're trading a pick for Rodgers (unknown what the compensation will be yet) -- if someone throws the Jets a 2nd round pick for a situational edge rusher who's had trouble staying on the field and - as exciting he is in that narrow role - is kinda weak at most everything else, so be it.

If they can lock him up for >1 year in that $4MM range, ok. My guess is he'll bet on himself to get into the next pay tier, though, because sacks are the sexy defense stats that get guys paid. If he can manage 7 this year he can get more than that offer, and it's up to the Jets to decide if they were because he's so quick to the QB or if 4 of them were coverage sacks against weaker RTs/TEs, especially where he got in 0.2 seconds before someone else was going to anyway. Film will show what the stats won't in that case.

He's an exciting player when he's on his A-game and is really quick, so sure I like having him on those obvious passing downs, but he's not irreplaceable & the problem is it's harder to keep him out there on maybe-pass/maybe-rush downs, which is the majority of snaps.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I think what he meant was some posters  were saying JD couldn’t start making FA moves until they had a yay or nay on Rodgers. 

They still haven't made any FA moves.  FA's that would sign with Rodgers as the QB wouldn't necessarily sign if that position is still up in the air. You could potentially miss out on FA's bc of the uncertainty. I don't think that's a stretch. 

• Upvote 1

I’m not too excited about the prospect of losing Bryce Huff for a second rounder that MIGHT turn into what Bryce Huff is.

IMO, he’s a young guy who seems to be figuring it all out, someone who still has a lot more upside and at the very least can put real pressure on the QB & disrupt plays.

But I’ll trust that JD has a good read on the market and would rather save the $1.7M delta between a 1st & 2nd round tender.

12 minutes ago, choon328 said:

They still haven't made any FA moves.  FA's that would sign with Rodgers as the QB wouldn't necessarily sign if that position is still up in the air. You could potentially miss out on FA's bc of the uncertainty. I don't think that's a stretch. 

Who’s made free agent moves? Free agency hasn’t opened yet. 

Potential free agents probably have a better idea of what’s going on with Rodgers than we do. But by all means, worry about nothing. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Oh, ok. I was under the impression it included taking care of our own FA as well. But, yes, there are things you can’t do until QB signs, but also things you can do. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

It does mean that. Probably a fairly safe gamble that no one will sign him to an offer sheet, but also that JD will happily take the second rounder if it comes to that. 

Yes, I think that was the right move. Happy either way.

57 minutes ago, slats said:

Potential free agents probably have a better idea of what’s going on with Rodgers than we do. But by all means, worry about nothing. 

Reading what I was responding to would be a good way to understand what I wrote

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Seriously there was never any reason to excited about any of this till the 15th....Carr said he wasn't making any decisions till the combine and Rogers was gonna make a decision by the start of free agency but people still freak out daily for no reason. lol

He'd be a more effective player to a 3-4 team imo.

I would not be terribly upset if some team took him and we got a 2nd rounder.

Is this because  dislike the player?  No

It's because of 8,10,18% of Defensive snaps his last 3 games.

It does make sense however if we are going to cut Lawson.

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He'd be a more effective player to a 3-4 team imo.

I would not be terribly upset if some team took him and we got a 2nd rounder.

Is this because  dislike the player?  No

It's because of 8,10,18% of Defensive snaps his last 3 games.

It does make sense however if we are going to cut Lawson.

He is the best edge rusher in the NFL on PBWR. Saleh needs to just use him more. He is ultra disruptive and worth way more than a 2nd rounder IMO. I could easily see him as a 10+ sack guy even as just a DPR. And his stats are deceptive because there were 3 or 4 maybe more sacks that were a direct result of super early pressure from Huff. I personally would be super upset if we lost him and I can see it happening.