Jets extend a 2nd RD tender on Bryce Huff

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

He is the best edge rusher in the NFL on PBWR. Saleh needs to just use him more. He is ultra disruptive and worth way more than a 2nd rounder IMO. I could easily see him as a 10+ sack guy even as just a DPR. And his stats are deceptive because there were 3 or 4 maybe more sacks that were a direct result of super early pressure from Huff. I personally would be super upset if we lost him and I can see it happening.

The bolded part is the issue.

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Free agency hasn’t started yet. He has restructured numerous contracts to create cap space, released Berrios, signed Quincy Williams, tendered Huff and traded for Safety Chuck Clark. JD has the front office operating at full function. 

While Rodgers continues to waffle on what he wants to do. He needs to be happy you know.

Huff gives JD more flexibility with Lawson, and Clark gives JD more flexibility with Whitehead.

In the world of JD, every player has a value.   Lawson, Davis and Whitehead are good football players, but their compensation/salary cap hits are bad values.   I would have to think that there are some moves destined to happen.  

39 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

He is the best edge rusher in the NFL on PBWR. Saleh needs to just use him more. He is ultra disruptive and worth way more than a 2nd rounder IMO. I could easily see him as a 10+ sack guy even as just a DPR. And his stats are deceptive because there were 3 or 4 maybe more sacks that were a direct result of super early pressure from Huff. I personally would be super upset if we lost him and I can see it happening.

I get the idea of wanting to see him terrorize QBs more - who wouldn't want that? - but the problem with using him far more is then he's on the field on downs where he'd be exposed.

They put him out there on obvious passing situations (particularly longer distance to go when the play takes another second or so to develop & QB's are therefore less likely to get rid of it fast). They do mix him in on other plays as well, when guys need a blow (hey, now), but he's not demonstrated he should be anything near a full-time player. 

Put another way, by doubling his playing time Huff may get more sacks personally, and maybe across 17 games the team might even get another few sacks on the season (not necessarily at impact times of impact games at that; see Mo Wilkerson). The other half of the equation is he's on the field for rushing downs where he's a liability and that leads to offenses moving the chains more, or at least setting up 3rd & shorter where it's less obvious what they're going to call.

I don't want to make it out like he's got no value - on the contrary, I don't think that at all - but the greater good isn't necessarily served by giving him more opportunities for pressures, as it's also more opportunities for offenses to exploit him. On 3rd & 10 there's not much to exploit -- it's Huff vs. a RT and those are damn good odds for the Jets. On 3rd & 2 maybe they run right at him or lob it just past him, as he's thus far demonstrated a singular skill.