Excluding QB, these are the Jets 5 most urgent needs in Free Agency

Good list Sarge.

My top picks:

Sheldon and Kwon are my top priorities.

Quite a few good centers available.

Jessie Bates would be an interesting get.

Im fine if we resign Thomas, Shep and Herbig

Give Aaron his toy of choice at WR

Add a thumper at RB

• Upvote 3

Be interesting to see what happens with Corey Davis. Seems like a player they’d want to replace, and I think they’d be focused almost exclusively on that WR’s receiving ability. They can target returners late in the draft or UDFA with RBs, CBs, or safeties, too. Also wonder if they’re completely done with Berrios, or if he might be back after testing the market. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

MOST URGENT NEEDS OTHER THAN QB

1. Starting Center - There's no starting center on the roster or backup for that matter - fortunately, there are some veterans who may be/have been released
  2. Starting Defensive Tackle - All three of the "other" DTs from last year are free agents (Rankins, Sheppard, Thomas) - need to re-sign one of them and bring in another starting quality DT
  3. Another Starting Quality LB - Mosley and Quincy are back, so that's good.  Re-signing Kwon Alexander would be smart, if not, they need to find another quality veteran
  4. Kick Returner / WR - Yes, Kick Returners aren't as vital as they once were, but a solid KR who can contribute at WR is a need.  Berrios did some good things but an upgrade is needed
  5. Backup Interior OL - At OT we have Brown, Becton, and Mitchell (with Eric Smith and Adam Pankay as viable roster candidates), at G we have Tomlinson and Vera-Tucker, but Duvernay-Tardiff is the only backup - we need a veteran to come in an be a viable backup at G and if possible, C.  2022 Practice Squadder Chris Glaser could be one to watch if he develops

OTHER NEEDS OTHER THAN QB

1. Safety - Trading for Chuck Clark helped, but another NFL caliber Safety, even a good back up would be nice
  2. Punting Competition - You can always find a punter, but signing a quality FA punter to give Mann some competition in camp is good idea
  3. Running Back - With Breece, Carter, and Knight, the Jets have some potential here.  The James Robinson experiment didn't work.  Another vet backup to guard against injuries is not a luxury

You forgot QB Sarge. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

FS is a major need 

Neither Whitehead nor Clark can cover anybody 

Totally agree.  We need a free safety. 

Clark is good in short coverage and does a good job against tight ends.  Baltimore used him in that role.  not strong in space.

Whitehead is weak in coverage. and one of the worst safeties with respect to missed tackles.  Save the cap space to fund a free safety.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

1. Starting Center - There's no starting center on the roster or backup for that matter - fortunately, there are some veterans who may be/have been released
  2. Starting Defensive Tackle - All three of the "other" DTs from last year are free agents (Rankins, Sheppard, Thomas) - need to re-sign one of them and bring in another starting quality DT
  3. Another Starting Quality LB - Mosley and Quincy are back, so that's good.  Re-signing Kwon Alexander would be smart, if not, they need to find another quality veteran
  4. Kick Returner / WR - Yes, Kick Returners aren't as vital as they once were, but a solid KR who can contribute at WR is a need.  Berrios did some good things but an upgrade is needed
  5. Backup Interior OL - At OT we have Brown, Becton, and Mitchell (with Eric Smith and Adam Pankay as viable roster candidates), at G we have Tomlinson and Vera-Tucker, but Duvernay-Tardiff is the only backup - we need a veteran to come in an be a viable backup at G and if possible, C.  2022 Practice Squadder Chris Glaser could be one to watch if he develops

1. Safety - Trading for Chuck Clark helped, but another NFL caliber Safety, even a good back up would be nice
  2. Punting Competition - You can always find a punter, but signing a quality FA punter to give Mann some competition in camp is good idea
  3. Running Back - With Breece, Carter, and Knight, the Jets have some potential here.  The James Robinson experiment didn't work.  Another vet backup to guard against injuries is not a luxury

I think we will need a wide receiver, when they cut Corey Davis.

If they go after a running back, it is a red flag on Breece's rehab.  Otherwise, RB not a need - bring back Johnson.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Yup. 

I don't exactly agree with the order of 'urgency'. But yes, this is a good list. 

-C is definitely #1. I think the Jets need to bring in a veteran Center. Luckily, there are a number of FA vets out there. This is an opportunity to potentially upgrade without paying much more than we were for McGovern. 

-Backup O-line (not just interior O-line, but yes, I would focus on the interior) is #2, IMO. Just so much uncertainty going into the offseason. Becton, AVT and Brown coming off injuries. Mitchell coming off a blot clotting condition (although he should be 100%). Fant, Herbig Feeney, Cedric Ogbuehi are FAs. LDT hasn't played in a year. They will probably need to add someone in FA + an early draft pick. 

-DT is third. But, to me, I think Saleh/JD know how to get guys on the cheap or late in the draft that can fill this role next to QW. Let's just say this is not a position I am sweating. The only thing that concerns me is that the Jets rely on heavy rotation and not one, not two but three of these guys are FAs.  

-Kicker is 4th. The Jets need to re-sign Greg the Leg. Until they do, this is pretty high on the list.

-Safety is next on the list. We don't have a true FS. I really think the Chuck Clark trade was intended to give the Jets an opportunity to cut Whitehead so they can free up 10mil in cap. I think we will see this happen soon. But thats just me. In any case, I don't think the Jets want to draft a FS high or go into the season with Tony Adams or Ash Davis starting at FS. And Chuck Clark is a SS, as is Whitehead. My guess is they cut Whitehead and sign a FA FS once FA truly gets underway.  

-With Quincy back in the fold. LB is no longer critical. Yes, bringing back Kwon will be nice. But the Jets don't 'need' to urgently address the LB position. Not with Sherwood, CJ and now Quincy coming back. I think this is a good spot to look for a high-upside player in the draft. Either an ILB early on in the draft who can be CJs replacement next year. Or a situational, scheme fit type LB who they can snag later on. Lots of quality LBs in this draft. 

-KR/backup WR is another position that can be addressed in the draft. There are plenty of WRs in the draft who can POTENTIALLY fill the role Berrios left as a backup slot/KR/PR. One to keep an eye on is Jayden Reed out of Michigan State

• Upvote 1