No Green Bay Doesn't know What they are doing!!!

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think they’ll **** around with the backup spot, seeing as how sensitive Rodgers was to Love’s presence. Minshew believes he should be starting games and is supposedly very vocal about it. 

Different time, different story.  Rodgers wanted help on offense, a WR instead got a player to replace him from the GB draft.  4 years ago.  And he’s still playing.  Not the same as when you have 1 or 2 seasons left in you.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Favre hadn’t missed a start in sixteen seasons. Then he came here as a 39-year-old and—whoopsie doodle!—tore his bicep tendon and a Super Bowl favorite got to sit at home and watch Hermie the Dentist in the playoffs. Part of the problem is that neither Mangini nor Tannenbaum had the sack to tell Favre he needed to take a seat. Were Rodgers to get hurt, that bit of history is likely to repeat itself; every decision-maker associated with this franchise has so abjectly debased themselves to bring Rodgers here that he could tear every ligament in his body and say “I think I’m good to go Sunday” and Fat Idzik and Jacked Herm would both nod vigorously and say “I really think that’s the right call, Mr. Rodgers,” and then confirm they had his lunch order correct.

The other part of the problem was that benching Favre would mean starting Kellen Clemens, and there is no reason whatsoever to repeat that mistake, especially for a team whose lack of competent QB2 play singlehandedly cost them a playoff spot last year. I get that Rodgers is a tiny baby bird who must be cradled within one’s palm at all times lest his sensitive feelings be bruised, but he’s also beating the odds by suiting up at all next season, and if we go into the season with Zach and Streveler as his backups, we’re an ankle sprain away from this whole thing going down the toilet.

And why can’t the Jets get a backup a capable QB?  Because Rodgers was pissed that that instead of drafting a WR in 2020 they drafted his replacement and that’s the same as insurance in a backup?  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

And why can’t the Jets get a backup a capable QB?  Because Rodgers was pissed that that instead of drafting a WR in 2020 they drafted his replacement and that’s the same as insurance in a backup?  

I’m not sure what you’re asking me. My entire argument is that the Jets can and should get a capable backup QB.

This is a big test for JD.  He did extremely well in the Adams trade, but this one is a different beast.  He's essentially bidding against himself.  There is no reason to cough up a 1st, other than to appease the fanbase and put an end to the wait.  GB can talk all they want about "you really want to go into next year starting Zach Wilson???" in an attempt to get the package they're after, but at the end of the day they know they have no choice.  Trade Rodgers to the Jets, or keep him - a guy they don't even want - and have that circus surrounding the team as they try to establish their new franchise QB.  Not to mention the financial impact.  

If I was JD I'd be offering maybe a 2nd this year and a 2nd or 3rd next year.  I'd probably even give GB a deadline of the draft, and say if it's not done by then we're either going with whoever the best remaining veteran option is, or we're drafting a QB(McKee, Hooker; not one of the 1st round guys) to compete against Zach.  Let them keep Rodgers.  Maybe they'll come crawling back after we draft a QB high, taking what they can get.  If not, so be it.  

I see this as similar to the Kane to NYR trade.  There is no reason why Kane shouldn't have gotten a straight 1st rounder and then some at the deadline.  However, he only wanted to go to the Rangers, which dropped the package to a conditional 2nd and a 4th rounder 3 years from now.  For a guy like Kane that is absurd - even in the middle of a down year.  However when you only have one team in the bidding, what do you expect?  

So again, if JD pays a straight 1st in this deal(I can live with something conditional in '24 or beyond), he'll have failed pretty miserably.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm enjoying the premise that "hey this guy is about to turn 40 and that's usually when time starts catching up to guys" is some sort of aberrant concern. The list of guys that started past 40 and didn't say **** this shortly after is in the single digits. And of that I think Brady and Favre were the only 2 that were any good, and one of them was fueled by steroids and the other was fueled by using his career to sexually harass women and rip of low income Mississippi residents. 

Yeah, I’m just having a hard time looking at this and seeing Rodgers as any sort of uniquely brittle player, and that concern is disqualifying. Dude plays every game. 

78C8AB4B-5316-48A6-90DD-BE6EAB7F2D85.jpeg

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I’m just having a hard time looking at this and seeing Rodgers as any sort of uniquely brittle player, and that concern is disqualifying. Dude plays every game. 

Everyone does all the things until they can’t. The general threshold for that is 40. That’s why you don’t see a ton of 40+ professional athletes and the ones you do see, for the most part, do less. This isn’t some sort of new revelation and this is a really strange hill you’re choosing to die on.

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

Everyone does all the things until they can’t. The general threshold for that is 40. That’s why you don’t see a ton of 40+ professional athletes and the ones you do see, for the most part, do less. This isn’t some sort of new revelation and this is a really strange hill you’re choosing to die on.

The “strange hill” here is you and Bates deciding that Rodgers is all of a sudden injury prone.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I’m not sure what you’re asking me. My entire argument is that the Jets can and should get a capable backup QB.

Thought your point was that Rodgers is a “tiny bird that needs coddling”?  
I agree they need a capable backup, I’ve said it numerous times.  I just don’t believe Rodgers would be opposed based on him having pissed by GB drafting his replacement 4 years ago, apparently 6 years too early. 

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The “strange hill” here is you and Bates deciding that Rodgers is all of a sudden injury prone.

You’re misconstruing this so badly that I feel like it has to be a bit. A 39-year-old, whoever he is and whatever his history, is more likely to get hurt than a younger player. If you want to ride into this season with Zach Wilson as the backup, go for it. Considering the stakes, I think it would be a dumb gamble.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Thought your point was that Rodgers is a “tiny bird that needs coddling”?  
I agree they need a capable backup, I’ve said it numerous times.  I just don’t believe Rodgers would be opposed based on him having pissed by GB drafting his replacement 4 years ago, apparently 6 years too early. 

That was mostly a joke. I don't care what Rodgers thinks. A team with a 39-year-old starting quarterback should have a good backup in place.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, bitonti said:

Kirk Cousins just got restructured. That usually means he stays where he is 

Matthew Stafford is interesting.

Fact is, I personally would rather have Stafford at half the price of Rodgers. (Rodgers has 60 mil in guarantees for 1 year, Stafford has 57 over 2).

They both looked really washed last year, from where I'm sitting. 

But The Rams have to trade Stafford this week or that 57 becomes locked in. It's possible but just don't think the Jets are really pursuing other avenues. 

Lazard, Hackett, Woody's private Jet trip, they've shown their cards.  

The Jets have little leverage and the Packers know it. Now that blockhead looking dude Brian Gutekunst is going to squeeze JD for all he's worth 

I think for Stafford you're conflating absolute guarantees with effective guarantees. Effective guarantees could be upwards of another $20MM. 

Effective guarantees = 2 years $68.5 to $73.5MM (unclear on last $5MM)

• $26MM option bonus in 2023
  • $1.5MM base salary for 2023
  • $31MM base salary for 2024
  • $10MM of $27MM base salary for 2025
  • $5MM roster bonus for 2023 (spotrac says guarantees on 3/17/23 but yr may not be correct)

Absolute guarantees (cut after the 2023 season) = 1 year $58.5MM

• $26MM option bonus in 2023
  • $1.5MM base salary for 2023
  • $31MM base salary for 2024

Given that Stafford's neck injury was still causing leg numbness at least into December I don't see how the Jets or any team could (or would) guarantee $60MM to a player who's not yet been medically cleared. He certainly isn't going to pass a physical with Jets' doctors/neurologists by tomorrow - when that first $26MM option bonus payment is due - while the team is actively negotiating with the Packers. So really, absent Stafford renegotiating to push off that payment date, I don't see how they'd pay that bonus and still move him (and anyway it'd have to have been done by now).

Only creative ways I could see it happening (post-3/17) is one of:

• Stafford agrees to delay the guarantee (it'd still be fully guaranteed, but the payment date would occur later)
  • Rams swap for a Jets player restructured so a similar lump sum for the season is already paid by the Jets (the Rams then getting him for a cheap base salary or two). They'd have to really want some specific Jets veteran badly for that. 
  • Rams pick up a cheap Jets player (e.g. Moore with 2 cheap years left) which could avoid them having to shop in FA for a similar replacement.

There's also the possibility that his career is already over.  Numbness in both legs has got to be frightening for both him & his family, plus the reality that he's guaranteed to collect that $58.5MM whether he plays or not. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That’s kinda his MO the last few years, no? 

I love Tom, but this is a weird one. Last year we had a durable backup QB and a capable backup QB, but no backup QB who was both, and we missed the playoffs because of it. I feel like this should be a priority no matter who the starter is next year, but especially if the starter is a 39-year-old who's the centerpiece of a one-year all-or-nothing Super Bowl shot.

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I love Tom, but this is a weird one. Last year we had a durable backup QB and a capable backup QB, but no backup QB who was both, and we missed the playoffs because of it. I feel like this should be a priority no matter who the starter is next year, but especially if the starter is a 39-year-old who's the centerpiece of a one-year all-or-nothing Super Bowl shot.

Guys north of 50 have this weird thing about 40. Al Bundy sh*t where they think it’s still young, which it is, but not for sports. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bonkertons said:

This is a big test for JD.  He did extremely well in the Adams trade, but this one is a different beast.  He's essentially bidding against himself.  There is no reason to cough up a 1st, other than to appease the fanbase and put an end to the wait.  GB can talk all they want about "you really want to go into next year starting Zach Wilson???" in an attempt to get the package they're after, but at the end of the day they know they have no choice.  Trade Rodgers to the Jets, or keep him - a guy they don't even want - and have that circus surrounding the team as they try to establish their new franchise QB.  Not to mention the financial impact.  

If I was JD I'd be offering maybe a 2nd this year and a 2nd or 3rd next year.  I'd probably even give GB a deadline of the draft, and say if it's not done by then we're either going with whoever the best remaining veteran option is, or we're drafting a QB(McKee, Hooker; not one of the 1st round guys) to compete against Zach.  Let them keep Rodgers.  Maybe they'll come crawling back after we draft a QB high, taking what they can get.  If not, so be it.  

I see this as similar to the Kane to NYR trade.  There is no reason why Kane shouldn't have gotten a straight 1st rounder and then some at the deadline.  However, he only wanted to go to the Rangers, which dropped the package to a conditional 2nd and a 4th rounder 3 years from now.  For a guy like Kane that is absurd - even in the middle of a down year.  However when you only have one team in the bidding, what do you expect?  

So again, if JD pays a straight 1st in this deal(I can live with something conditional in '24 or beyond), he'll have failed pretty miserably.  

Totally agree on the Kane similarities.

Green Bay is missing the face saving play here of allowing it's franchise QB to sail into the sunset on the team of his choice simply because it is the right thing to do. A thanks for the memories and see you at Canton type of vibe. That is how they sell it to their fanbase. In reality, it is less the right thing to do, than it is the only thing to do. Frankly, if I'm JD, I tell GB that this is a salary dump by the Packers of a player they don't want and they are lucky I'm not asking them to give me a draft pick for taking on his salary and cap hit.

14 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Guys north of 50 have this weird thing about 40. Al Bundy sh*t where they think it’s still young, which it is, but not for sports. 

You 2 clods are printing off more receipts than Walmart on Black Friday. 

Keep fueling the fire boys.  Rodgers about to dunk on all the detractors Darryl Dawkins style. 

• Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, Pac said:

You 2 clods are printing off more receipts than Walmart on Black Friday. 

Keep fueling the fire boys.  Rodgers about to dunk on all the detractors Darryl Dawkins style. 

Hey Darryl Dawkins another guy that didn’t play past 40 because of a hip or back or whatever

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

You’re misconstruing this so badly that I feel like it has to be a bit. A 39-year-old, whoever he is and whatever his history, is more likely to get hurt than a younger player. If you want to ride into this season with Zach Wilson as the backup, go for it. Considering the stakes, I think it would be a dumb gamble.

Ah. We started down this road when I commented that we shouldn’t sign Minshew because Minshew is notoriously annoying and feels like he should be starting over both Trevor Lawrence and Jalen Hurts. I do agree that the Jets should get a qualified backup considering how leveraged they will be once they complete the Rodgers trade. It’s win or die.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

He signed a 6 year deal in June of 2019

The 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 seasons are complete 

2023 is year 5

2024 is year 6

JD signed his contract June of 2019 after MacDaddy’s last horrendous draft and FA signings. Contract officially ends June 2025

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

JD signed his contract June of 2019 after MacDaddy’s last horrendous draft and FA signings. Contract officially ends June 2025

We're saying the same thing 

He's been the GM for 4 actual nfl seasons 

He has 2 actual nfl seasons, 23 and 24 left to earn an extension 

He does not get the 2025 season. I guess he could run the 25 draft or whatever.