DL Solomon Thomas Back to Jets

C Mart

3 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I was thinking that he sucked and was a non factor last year, then checked pff. Looks like he did indeed suck. Going all in for a sb boys! 

C1003FD8-FAE6-4DEF-B26C-9F2FB1FE4765.png

I agree that I didn't see Anything from Thomas last year... but pff = HOT GARBAGE just Watch last year's Jets/Green bay game & see how pff originally ranked Quinnen's game... they had to change their original ranking due to all the negative press they were receiving over it. 

• Upvote 1

Just want to point out that one of the pillars buttressing this whole Rodgers thing is that we’d be handing him a top-five defense, and anyone who pointed out that the defense will likely regress at least a little bit was pelted with rotten vegetables. Anyway, losing Sheldon Rankins while bringing back Solomon Thomas sure feels like regression taking shape.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

3 hours ago, jetsons said:

I agree that I didn't see Anything from Thomas last year... but pff = HOT GARBAGE just Watch last year's Jets/Green bay game & see how pff originally ranked Quinnen's game... they had to change their original ranking due to all the negative press they were receiving over it. 

Sure pff isn’t perfect, I like to use them as one part of forming an opinion 

51 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Just want to point out that one of the pillars buttressing this whole Rodgers thing is that we’d be handing him a top-five defense, and anyone who pointed out that the defense will likely regress at least a little bit was pelted with rotten vegetables. Anyway, losing Sheldon Rankins while bringing back Solomon Thomas sure feels like regression taking shape.

lol what?  It’s March 16th dude.  

Is this what you’re gonna be like the next 5 months or…

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, C Mart said:

This kinda had to happen when the Jets lost both Rankins and Shep to other teams.

Of all our FA DTs, Thomas was the one I was least concerned about bringing back - he wasn't very impressive last season, on the field at least.

It will be interesting to see how his deal stacks up against Shep's once the full details are released.  I would have prefered Shep over Thomas, but Shep's deal looks bigger on initial reports - but let's see how the guarantees look.

I think the Jets will still be looking to add a potential starter, leaving Thomas to a rotational role.

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

This kinda had to happen when the Jets lost both Rankins and Shep to other teams.

Of all our FA DTs, Thomas was the one I was least concerned about bringing back - he wasn't very impressive last season, on the field at least.

It will be interesting to see how his deal stacks up against Shep's once the full details are released.  I would have prefered Shep over Thomas, but Shep's deal looks bigger on initial reports - but let's see how the guarantees look.

I think the Jets will still be looking to add a potential starter, leaving Thomas to a rotational role.

I hear ya. Tho DL are all rotational. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

I would really like to see a guy like Calais Campbell get signed. DT certainly feels like a need now after losing Rankins and I’d like to not pick a DT with pick 13

When you're going all in like the Jets are, adding a few back 9 players like Campbell could be huge signings for this team.  I'd look at him, Suh, Linval Joseph, maybe bring Vinny Curry back, Shelby Harris, Michael Brockers...there's a few out there.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Well when you have to allocate your salary cap dollars you have to ask one question:

Is Zach Wilson my Quarterback?

Yes --> Spend big on interior defensive lineman and front 7 in general. Because teams will be running out the clock a lot against you.

No --> Go to next line.

Is your QB Named Aaron Rodgers?

No --> Go get him

Yes --> Allocate cap dollars to offense more than you did last year.

Seriously have to cut somewhere and you can't give everyone on the defensive line money.

Right, and the thinking is that any regression on defense will be more than offset by a major upgrade on offense. My point is just to bear in mind that every season is its own thing, and that Rodgers is joining the 2023 Jets, not the 2022 Jets.

• Upvote 2

TOP will be considerably improved from last year. Special teams will be improved because the punting unit will not be on the field as often as they were in 2022. 

You have to pay the players who are on the field the most, and with Rodgers and Breece Hall moving the chains, offense will be our bread and butter this year. 

Defense won't be exhausted or playing from behind in the 4th quarter all the time like they had with Zach and Mike White.

• Upvote 1

Whether you use stats or just what you see, this guy stinks.  They need some DL depth.  He's ok in that role.

Rankins stunk in 2021.   How about a PFF of 46?  He was 96th in solo tackle and 56th in assists.  He benefitted from having Quinnen drawing double teams  and a solid pass rush creating havoc.  Without strong players around him, he is the 2021 version.  He is replaceable.  Houston overpaid.

• Upvote 1