Fan Fiction Dept.: Possible Compensation Proposal with Green Bay

Okay, the Packers would like to get a #1 Draft Choice for Rodgers (not going to happen) We got Farve for bassicsally a #3 choice.

What if we gave them oor #1 (13th pick) & they gave us their #1 (15th pick) They get a #1 from us (they move up 2 spots in the draft & we still have a #1 pick. The difference is about a #3 or #4 pick

What do you think? Is it do-able?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

Both teams have leverage.  The Jets are going to pay more than they felt they would.  (This will be the Jets fault in how they handled this situation.)

There will be about a days worth of outrage and then the narrative will turn to 'well that is what you have to pay for a hofer.'

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, CapeCoralJetFan said:

Okay, the Packers would like to get a #1 Draft Choice for Rodgers (not going to happen) We got Farve for bassicsally a #3 choice.

What if we gave them oor #1 (13th pick) & they gave us their #1 (15th pick) They get a #1 from us (they move up 2 spots in the draft & we still have a #1 pick. The difference is about a #3 or #4 pick

What do you think? Is it do-able?

Just throwing this out there. 

What if Jets give up 13, C.Davis, but get back GBs 2nd #45 & maybe one of the 5th rounders they have?

• Thumb Down 5
  • More Ugh 1

The Stafford deal is LOL material.  In that deal the Rams got both the player they wanted (much younger than AR btw) and got the Lions to take a massive contract off their books.  They basically sold their picks to get this done.  In our case we want the player (who has 1 or 2 years max left in the tank) and they have the massive contract they want to offload.  From an economical viewpoint this could almost be considered a wash and leave it at that.  The Jets going all in publicly on their pursuit changes that perception a bit and will ultimately cost them some draft compensation but nowhere near even one first round pick imo.  Maybe swap firsts and swap our 2nd for their 3rd so we keep our pick count and they can have a win with the draft points accrued from the exchange.   

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

They're not going to get it.

If they draw a line in the sand at that level, the Jets will ultimately move on.

Simple as that.  I see no universe where JD gives two #1 picks for Rodgers, fan pressure or not.

I agree but this is why negotiations  are stalled. I think both sides know a deal will be struck but GB isn't  in a hurry so they will ask for the moon right now

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Swap 13 for 15 (roughly a late 3rd rounder value wise) this year and a 2nd rounder next year that can turn into a 1st if we make the SB.

Call it a day.

That's moving back 2 spots in the draft and a 2nd next year that only goes to a 1st if we're in the SB, which mean we're damn good this next year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

If you combine the timeline of events with what Rodgers said yesterday, Murphy is a liar.

He lied to Rodgers after the season about the Packers having an open door for him to return.

Then at some point after Wingo tweeted it was "done", he decided to renege on deal terms and try to squeeze Douglas for even more compensation.

He's using Schefter and Rapaport as his mouthpieces on this to float the irrelevant Stafford deal comparison.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

15 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Unless the haggle is over how much money GB might pick up, or other GB players being added to the deal, the GB GM can eat a jumbo bag of d*cks. 

I think this is a very valid point and could be what's slowing things down.  If the Packers want to rebuild behind Love, and want more/higher picks than what JD's offering, eating a bunch of Rodgers guaranteed money would allow the Jets to sign more free agents.  Could be a win-win...

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Packers are a team that rarely spends on free agents. They build their team through the draft. I think they want to hold 2 first rd picks, not to move up 2 spots in round 1. So I doubt that gets it done.

I’d send them a 2 this year and a 2 next year. that should be more than enough for a 39 year old qb. 

It does not matter what they want

Their choice is our offer or they get stuck with $90 Million.

What would you do?  

If I'm in the packers shoes, at this point, take a 2025 7th round pick to get rid of $90 Million in cap.

They literally have that much leverage.  Anything more is a gift.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Swapping from #13 to #15 isn't going to make a difference as far as satisfying Murphy no matter what the trade value chart says.

If the Packers insist on that, fine.

Rodgers just admitted publicly he was "90% retired".  Whatever trade cost they are paying is for 1 season of AR.

Anything beyond that can't be factored into consideration for this deal.

Worst-case scenario, I think you have to pivot to Lamar (or at least threaten to) and then watch Murphy grovel.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Both teams have leverage.  The Jets are going to pay more than they felt they would.  (This will be the Jets fault in how they handled this situation.)

There will be about a days worth of outrage and then the narrative will turn to 'well that is what you have to pay for a hofer.'

I believe that you are wrong, and that the Packers have no leverage at all.

They absolutely have to get Rodgers’ contract off their books, and the only way to do that is to trade him. The Jets are the only team bidding and it’s not Tanny or Mac at the helm, anymore. Rodgers has made his intentions known and the Jets, by signing Lazard, are making it pretty clear that they’re operating as if it’s already a done deal. Why? Because in the end, the Packers have to agree to a trade while the Jets do not. The Jets want the deal to get done, very much, but they’ll survive if they don’t. If the Packers don’t get this trade done to incur just an $8.6M cap hit this season, they’re looking at either picking up his $59M bonus before the start of the season or suffering a post-June 1 cap hit of $43.6M. Neither situation is tenable for them. If I’m JD, I give them a deadline after which I’m lowering my offer. Because they have no leverage. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

If you combine the timeline of events with what Rodgers said yesterday, Murphy is a liar.

He lied to Rodgers after the season about the Packers having an open door for him to return.

Then at some point after Wingo tweeted it was "done", he decided to renege on deal terms and try to squeeze Douglas for even more compensation.

He's using Schefter and Rapaport as his mouthpieces on this to float the irrelevant Stafford deal comparison.

It does feel like that, which, if it comes out that way, will further undermine whatever remaining credibility those guys and ESPN have.  

All aboard the Pat McAfee train!

Can we dump or at least rename threads like this? The most important story right now is the terms of the trade, so to click on a thread entitled "Possible Compensation Proposal" and find out it's just some guy workshopping an idea that came to him in the shower is a little irritating

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The important point is...since we DO NOT KNOW what is actually going on, it seems a little histrionic to blast the Jets over the delay.  JD has given us a lot of evidence to support that he's very good at this.  I'm not going to throw him to the wolves without facts.  Period.

He may suck at scouting FQB's, but everything we've seen so far shows JD knows how to manage a trade...

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, hawk said:

It does not matter what they want

Their choice is our offer or they get stuck with $90 Million.

What would you do?  

If I'm in the packers shoes, at this point, take a 2025 7th round pick to get rid of $90 Million in cap.

They literally have that much leverage.  Anything more is a gift.

They can make us wait. Which isn't in our best interest.

Yes GB started this by even drafting Love. So they put themselves in this seat. But they also don't have a timeframe they have to go by.

Just makes them as a franchise look worse every day.

If they're ok with that... there's nothing we can do to change that. Except up our offer. Which we don't want us to do.

So for me it's pretty much us having the patience for GB to come down to earth on what to get for him vs GB each day looking like a crappy franchise holding arguably the best player in their history hostage.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Can we dump or at least rename threads like this? The most important story right now is the terms of the trade, so to click on a thread entitled "Possible Compensation Proposal" and find out it's just some guy brainstorming an idea that came to him in the shower is a little irritating

No

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

They can make us wait. Which isn't in our best interest.

Yes GB started this by even drafting Love. So they put themselves in this seat. But they also don't have a timeframe they have to go by.

Just makes them as a franchise look worse every day.

If they're ok with that... there's nothing we can do to change that. Except up our offer. Which we don't want us to do.

So for me it's pretty much us having the patience for GB to come down to earth on what to get for him vs GB each day looking like a crappy franchise holding arguably the best player in their history hostage.

The jets should, and probably have, set a deadline.  Take our offer or reduce it or even move on. 

No one else is in play.  

It's our offer or nothing.  

Play the waiting game, the offer goes down or walk away.  

• Upvote 2

There is one other x-factor in all this.  I would imagine Rodgers is well aware of what the original deal parameters were.  If this deal tanks because GB changed their minds, and Rodgers has to go back there (without Lazard), he's going to be grumpy.  I would imagine that a grumpy $60M QB can cause a lot of problems for a franchise.  GB fans will turn on the front office faster than a cat hopped up on catnip in a room full of mice in that case.  I cannot imagine Mark Murphy wants it to get to that point.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Can we dump or at least rename threads like this? The most important story right now is the terms of the trade, so to click on a thread entitled "Possible Compensation Proposal" and find out it's just some guy workshopping an idea that came to him in the shower is a little irritating

Even though I’m a little surprised about your grumpiness over Rodgers, I’m here to help. 

• Upvote 1