Fan Fiction Dept.: Possible Compensation Proposal with Green Bay

1 hour ago, slats said:

They have to deal with that money either way. It’s only a matter of when they pay it, not if. I don’t believe a matter of accounting will get in the way of them looking to collect a pick in this year’s draft, even if it’s not the one they want. 

25 million isn’t a matter of accounting. It’s 2 legit starters. It’s the equivalent of what the jets are paying the #2 and #3 highest paid players on the roster (until Rodgers obv) Lawson and Brown. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Larz said:

25 million isn’t a matter of accounting. It’s 2 legit starters. It’s the equivalent of what the jets are paying the #2 and #3 highest paid players on the roster (until Rodgers obv) Lawson and Brown. 

It’s accounting because it has to be paid either way. So it’s either against this year’s cap or next year’s. The way their roster is built today, they have $10M more in cap space this year than next, so it could be in their best interest to get as much off the books this year as possible. Especially considering that next year they’re either going to looking to extend, tag, or replace Love at QB. 

And no one’s taking each other’s players so they can… what? Hang out in limbo between the end of April and the beginning of June? No. The only instance I can recall of a team taking a player for another team was when the Chargers held Eli hostage. The Packers don’t have anything like that amount of leverage here. 

• Upvote 1

I think that the Jets should be giving Green Bay a time limit on making a deal.  For me, that date is the first day of the draft. The Jets need to weigh their options on going in a different direction if The Packers have not agreed to fair compensation by that time.  I'm not sure I would wait that long, but I just don't  see the Jets being in limbo past then.

15 minutes ago, slats said:

It’s accounting because it has to be paid either way. So it’s either against this year’s cap or next year’s. The way their roster is built today, they have $10M more in cap space this year than next, so it could be in their best interest to get as much off the books this year as possible. Especially considering that next year they’re either going to looking to extend, tag, or replace Love at QB. 

And no one’s taking each other’s players so they can… what? Hang out in limbo between the end of April and the beginning of June? No. The only instance I can recall of a team taking a player for another team was when the Chargers held Eli hostage. The Packers don’t have anything like that amount of leverage here. 

Read my posts again. You’re not understanding it. 

20 minutes ago, Alka said:

I think that the Jets should be giving Green Bay a time limit on making a deal.  For me, that date is the first day of the draft. The Jets need to weigh their options on going in a different direction if The Packers have not agreed to fair compensation by that time.  I'm not sure I would wait that long, but I just don't  see the Jets being in limbo past then.

I can't see the Packers waiting until past the draft and missing out on a pick this year.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

I can't see the Packers waiting until past the draft and missing out on a pick this year.

JD will head into the Draft with a plan to continue building this team and plans for all his picks.  He'll target a lesser FA QB post-Draft if he needs to in a worst case scenario, but he won't overpay GB.  My guess is something like GB trading up from #15 to get the #13, the Jets giving a 2023 2nd Round pick and then a conditional 2024 pick based on performance of the Jets and/or Rodgers.  

• Upvote 1

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/91530/examining-the-challenges-of-an-aaron-rodgers-trade-between-jets-packers

the jets will have to make it worth it for the packers to deal him before June 2. Basically both teams are better off waiting. Rodgers doesn’t attend voluntary workouts anyway. 

Loves May 1st 5th year option is as Cimini says, a sneaky issue. 

the packers will want to have the 25 million in cap room to accommodate the 20 million guaranteed for Love for sure  

it’s possible that the packers value a pick(s) this year more than cap space but if that was the case I imagine some sort of combination of conditional picks and/ or  players would already have been agreed upon, because then the timing isn’t an issue. 

it’s probably the best thing I’ve read from Cimini in 10 years, worth the read. 

maybe June 2 they announce 2 conditional 2024 picks and a player like Corey Davis ? JJ?

thats the poll option I would take lol

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Larz said:

From todays Cimini article 

Right now, Rodgers counts $31.6 million on the salary cap. If the Packers trade him before June 1, his cap charge balloons to $40.3 million -- and they would have to carry that for the entire season. If they wait until after June 1 to deal him, the cap hit is spread out over two seasons -- $15.8 million this year and $24.5 million in 2024. That would give them about $25 million in extra 2023 cap room to improve other areas of the roster.

this won’t be official until June 2 

If that’s from Cimini, he was being short sighted with his numbers.

There will be more guarantees triggered next year than what he is explaining. The cap hit balloons well over $40M for the Packers if he is still on their roster at this time next year.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

JD will head into the Draft with a plan to continue building this team and plans for all his picks.  He'll target a lesser FA QB post-Draft if he needs to in a worst case scenario, but he won't overpay GB.  My guess is something like GB trading up from #15 to get the #13, the Jets giving a 2023 2nd Round pick and then a conditional 2024 pick based on performance of the Jets and/or Rodgers.  

Too much.  ok without the 2023 2nd round pick.

• Upvote 1

On 3/16/2023 at 11:33 AM, Warfish said:

They're not going to get it.

If they draw a line in the sand at that level, the Jets will ultimately move on.

Simple as that.  I see no universe where JD gives two #1 picks for Rodgers, fan pressure or not.

I see no universe where he gives up even one 1st, nor should he. 

Their conditional pick next year can be a 1 if the Jets win the superbowl this year. There's your "first". Now take this years 3rd and kiss the ground JD walks on for being the only team willing to take that horrible contract off your hands.

And just because, I want your 3rd next year if he retires after this season, lol. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/16/2023 at 11:19 AM, CapeCoralJetFan said:

Okay, the Packers would like to get a #1 Draft Choice for Rodgers (not going to happen) We got Farve for bassicsally a #3 choice.

What if we gave them oor #1 (13th pick) & they gave us their #1 (15th pick) They get a #1 from us (they move up 2 spots in the draft & we still have a #1 pick. The difference is about a #3 or #4 pick

What do you think? Is it do-able?

I read an article today from a Packers fan site. They had a few options, a # 1, a # 3 and Moore or a # 3 a nd a high pick next year if he plays.

Nope. You will get a 3 and like it. Okay maybe a 2 and something next year if he plays. Not getting a 1st.

Due to Rodgers crazy contract, and his age and regression, he actually has a negative value for the Packers. In other words, they would be stupid to keep Rodgers at the current cap if they have already decided to move on. But because he’s Rodgers, Packs might get a 3rd rounder out of him. Stanford deal is not happening. Well, unless it’s the Jets. JD needs to hold firm. Packs will blink come draft day. They can’t afford Rodgers, financially. 

7 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Just wait it out .. been saying for a month...

A 3 this year and a 3 next year that can escalate to a 1 based on production.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Once enough time goes by, to provide GB front office the “optics” of taking a hard line in negotiations, they will release a statement. “After lengthy discussions with Aaron and the NYJ, and in an effort to do what’s best for Aaron and the Packers organization, we will be trading Aaron to the Jets for a 3rd rd. pick this year and a conditional 3rd next year. We thank Aaron for all he has given Packer Nation and wish him the best”.

6 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

Due to Rodgers crazy contract, and his age and regression, he actually has a negative value for the Packers. In other words, they would be stupid to keep Rodgers at the current cap if they have already decided to move on. But because he’s Rodgers, Packs might get a 3rd rounder out of him. Stanford deal is not happening. Well, unless it’s the Jets. JD needs to hold firm. Packs will blink come draft day. They can’t afford Rodgers, financially. 

• Sympathy 1