So, between the Jets and Packers

IMO it will be long only because the Packers front office doesn't have an owner who can prod it along in recognition of the lack of leverage. It will only end early if JD sets a hard deadline, but I do not think he is a hard deadline kind of guy. He will, however, cover his 6 by beginning to explore other options.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetsons said:

May 1st Green Bay needs to make a decision on Love's 5th yr option, 20+ million for 2023... Rodgers is owed more than 59 million for 2023... I'd stand pat if I were JD. 

Technically, GB has till Set.1 to activate AR’s 59 mm bonus. Right now, he is on the books for 32 mm I believe. After June 2, it goes down to 12mm. That is some leverage, but it really is  in both parties best interests to get this done.

1 hour ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Who is going to blink first?  And do you think if this goes on too long, AR will say forget it, I'm retiring.  After all, he said when he entered the dark hole he was thinking he was 90% retired.

What makes you say that ? He may prefer not being scrutinized for having a excuse for missing OTAs that he doesn’t like to attend when he is allowed.

29 minutes ago, TheGreenGhost said:

Packers have to blink first.  They have ZERO leverage.  If they don't trade Rodgers and he doesn't retire (which I doubt he'll do if the Packers screw up this deal), then they're stuck paying $60M for a guy they don't want and one who hates the front office there.

Rodgers and the Jets can afford to wait as long as they want.  GB is hosed.

Rodgers is a flake though. He hates the front office today, he loves them tomorrow, he hates them again next week... that's his personality.

And as far as his contract goes he is open to restructuring. He has to do that whether he plays for the Jets OR the Packers.

I could see the Packers holding out past the draft, getting towards mini camp in June and kissing and making up with Rodgers. A sweetheart restructure putting cash in his pocket, pushing the cap stuff out, let bygones be bygones and run it back 1 more year.

• WTF? 2

29 minutes ago, TheGreenGhost said:

Packers have to blink first.  They have ZERO leverage.  If they don't trade Rodgers and he doesn't retire (which I doubt he'll do if the Packers screw up this deal), then they're stuck paying $60M for a guy they don't want and one who hates the front office there.

Correct.  Green Bay would ultimately be not trading him out of spite and that is not the way you run a billion dollar organization.  

Can't get past the draft for GB - as they lose whatever 2023 pick they'll be getting from the Jets.  But I wouldn't expect this to get done until we get pretty close to the draft.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

Rodgers is a flake though. He hates the front office today, he loves them tomorrow, he hates them again next week... that's his personality.

And as far as his contract goes he is open to restructuring. He has to do that whether he plays for the Jets OR the Packers.

I could see the Packers holding out past the draft, getting towards mini camp in June and kissing and making up with Rodgers. A sweetheart restructure putting cash in his pocket, pushing the cap stuff out, let bygones be bygones and run it back 1 more year.

Restructure or not, Packers cap hit would be devastating. They need him out. Love is their starter in '23. Plus they lose out on 2023 pick.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

No.

At this point, I doubt Rodgers would give Murphy the satisfaction.

But I think Murphy thinks he can outlast Rodgers in terms of will power.

what do you mean will power?

Aaron has months before he needs to show up for mandatory mini cap (3 months).  Murphy has to try to manage a roster and doesn't know what his cap situation is going to be.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, section314 said:

Technically, GB has till Set.1 to activate AR’s 59 mm bonus. Right now, he is on the books for 32 mm I believe. After June 2, it goes down to 12mm. That is some leverage, but it really is  in both parties best interests to get this done.

it does go down on June 2nd but it doesn't go away, just gets pushed off.

the cap hit is coming at some point.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

what do you mean will power?

Aaron has months before he needs to show up for mandatory mini cap (3 months).  Murphy has to try to manage a roster and doesn't know what his cap situation is going to be.

Matt LeFleur will end this nonsense before it becomes a bigger train wreck.

• Upvote 2

Look if the Pack wants to get rid of that 100 million plus owed to Rodgers they are going to make a deal. That trumps any pressure on the Jets. It could be the delay is more over money than picks. You’d think JD is trying to get GB to cover some of that contract. The Jets are the ones who should be in the driver’s seat. Why negotiate against yourself. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

And just give up on Jordan Love ? Not likely. More like never. Worst take I have seen. 

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

IMO it will be long only because the Packers front office doesn't have an owner who can prod it along in recognition of the lack of leverage. It will only end early if JD sets a hard deadline, but I do not think he is a hard deadline kind of guy. He will, however, cover his 6 by beginning to explore other options.

The pickins are slim right now. Who the hell is left ? Matt Ryan ?  

3 hours ago, hotrodcharlie said:

Explain why he "has to" restructure his contract to play for the Packers?...

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, TheGreenGhost said:

There is a problem with this line of thought.  Objectively speaking here, Green Bay already has Rodgers figured on their cap whether they actually want to pay him or not.  He's there.  In actuality they really don't have to blink.  They may screw themselves this year but they can take a hard stand and take as long as they want.  Jordan Love is their QB so it's not like they are looking for one.  

The Jets on the other hand don't have any QB on the roster besides Zach Wilson.  We eventually will have to make a move but the Packers theoretically don't.

The Packers may look terrible if they sit on their hands but they can.  The Jets can't sit on their hands and do nothing.

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

24 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look if the Pack wants to get rid of that 100 million plus owed to Rodgers they are going to make a deal. That trumps any pressure on the Jets. It could be the delay is more over money than picks. You’d think JD is trying to get GB to cover some of that contract. The Jets are the ones who should be in the driver’s seat. Why negotiate against yourself. 

We are not in the drivers seat we are the desperate buyer which was made clear by our owner. We now have no viable fallback options. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

The pickins are slim right now. Who the hell is left ? Matt Ryan ?  

This …. Rodgers may retire then we are screwed once again … JD needs to tell GB here and now or we are out …. Sign Mariotta draft a QB like Will Levi’s … trade ZW 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

There is a problem with this line of thought.  Objectively speaking here, Green Bay already has Rodgers figured on their cap whether they actually want to pay him or not.  He's there.  In actuality they really don't have to blink.  They may screw themselves this year but they can take a hard stand and take as long as they want.  Jordan Love is their QB so it's not like they are looking for one.  

The Jets on the other hand don't have any QB on the roster besides Zach Wilson.  We eventually will have to make a move but the Packers theoretically don't.

The Packers may look terrible if they sit on their hands but they can.  The Jets can't sit on their hands and do nothing.

Objectively speaking, this is wrong.

If this trade doesn't go through, it's because GB was asking for more than the Jets felt they could/should give up.  So the higher the compensation GB "demands", the lower the benefit of getting AR becomes for the Jets.

But from GB's perspective, if this trade doesn't go through, it's because they'd rather carry a $60M albatross around their neck than free themselves of the headache and gain cap space/draft capital in the process. 

Subjectively you could say GB might be willing to "chop off their nose to spite their face".  But objectively, GB needs this trade more than the Jets do, and the compensation should reflect that fact . . .

• Upvote 2

Just now, Rangers9 said:

They want to get rid of him a lot more than the Jets need him. 

Where do you get this from?  Rodgers is already on their books figured into the salary cap, they can afford to play the long game.  We can't unless we want to go in to the season with Zach Wilson and a couple of nobodies backing him up.  

What makes you think they are so desperate to get rid of him?  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1