The Packers are delusional

1 hour ago, Dcronin said:

What am I missing? They have all the leverage in the world, because they own Aaron Rodgers, and we want Aaron Rodgers. That Aaron Rodgers wants us means nothing. We have no leverage.  If they want their bitter ex-QB to suffer, they're making that happen. They can sit tight until Joe D folds. What do the fans care? All they care about is how their team drafts and improves and how Jordan Love looks.

I understand Why its confusing but it comes down to this:

- Packers have slight leverage now because they feel the media will pressure Woody and JD

- The Closer Draft Day comes the more leverage the Jets have if Green Bay wants a draft pick in this draft.

- If Green Bay feels it can wait till 2024 and beyond and get more compensation by waiting then maybe the media shifts back to the Jets and puts pressure Woody and JD.

- If JD sticks to his guns and Aaron starts showing up to training camp this might shift it back into Jets favor

- The closer that it comes to the start of the season it ramps the pressure back on Green Bay because ... Who they gonna start... Bad press narrative starts running through Green Bay...

- On September 8th they need to pick up his option Bonus of 60 Million. I think because if they don't their cap hit is 75 Million or something for 2024.

- At any time Aaron can put more pressure on Packers by doing more weekly spots hurting Green Bay's credibility... From their most tenured player ever.

So there is actually a lot of leverage on Jets side if they play that dirty and wait.

Green Bay needs if off the book this year.

This is why Green Bay has leaked a lot to shefter and other media because they know thats the only leverage they have.

You can say that they Jets need a QB and if GB keeps him on the roster they have 2 and Jets will need to pivot but If Jets play chicken Green Bay screws its franchise in 2024 on top of having a terrible PR with a dissatisfied HOF QB on your roster screwing Love and getting 0 Compensation for your disgruntled HOF QB.

But I think Jets understand this and maybe signs someone like Rivers to hold them over till Rodgers gets traded, or cut. Thats the leverage the Jets have

Part of the confusion is the media is making the assumption that Rodgers will retire to help Green Bay... I think this is Aaron Rodgers Golden Gun... He can just play, and the more you make him mad the worse it gets,...

• Post of the Week 4

4 hours ago, sciond said:

JD needs to lower his offer and tell them to go find another trade partner

It's how I would negotiate it mostly. I would actually withdraw entirely until they call back and then lower the offer. Compensation should be the same as Favre

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dcronin said:

What am I missing? They have all the leverage in the world, because they own Aaron Rodgers, and we want Aaron Rodgers. That Aaron Rodgers wants us means nothing. We have no leverage.  If they want their bitter ex-QB to suffer, they're making that happen. They can sit tight until Joe D folds. What do the fans care? All they care about is how their team drafts and improves and how Jordan Love looks.

Completely wrong.  The Jets should not care at all if this drags out.  The longer it goes, the better the Jets position is.  If it goes past the draft, great.  We keep all of our picks this year to continue building the team.  Past the start of otas?  Who cares. AR already knows the offense.  If Rogers shows up to GB training camp, what does GB do then?  If he gets hurt in camp, GB is screwed.  And if he is in the roster on 9/2, AR kills GB's cap.  They can't move forward until Rogers is off their cap.

They lose.  Period.  Full stop.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

4 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'm bias cause i'm a Jets fan who just wants Aaron Rodgers on the team but I do think this is kind of scummy by the Packers. 

Aaron Rodgers is one of the greatest players in their history. They don't want him anymore. Let the guy move on with his career and join his new team that you gave him permission to talk to. Don't cross your arms and play hardball. He deserves better than that. They are keeping him in limbo. 

I hope rodgers says to GB “ I will either play for you guy or Jets ( which he basically has ) I will start unpacking my bags since you guys changed your mind and now want me to stay ! If I’m JD I’d tell them for sure very month you keep us waiting, the draft comp goes further a round. April will go from a 2nd to a 3rd in May. If they drag this out until summer they will be lucky if they get a 5th rounder. Because they know they will be forced to trade him for anything to jets. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I hope rodgers says to GB “ I will either play for you guy or Jets ( which he basically has ) I will start unpacking my bags since you guys changed your mind and now want me to stay ! If I’m JD I’d tell them for sure very month you keep us waiting, the draft comp goes further a round. April will go from a 2nd to a 3rd in May. If they drag this out until summer they will be lucky if they get a 5th rounder. Because they know they will be forced to trade him for anything to jets. 

Every day that passes is another day closer to the NFL draft. If the Packers want a draft pick this year, they need to make a deal sooner than later. 

• Sympathy 1

Wouldn't be surprised if it gets to the point where Arod just decides to really put the hammer down on the Packers' front office and retires, and then un-retires and signs with the Jets.
I believe the way that works .. when a contracted player retires .. the team that owns that contract owns the player upon reinstatement.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

Huh?? No, I want Aaron Rodgers on the Jets. Which he 100% is not right now.

At this point I hope the comp is reasonable. Don’t see how JD is in a position to not make this happen.

17 hours ago, varjet said:

For the Jets, they completely screwed up with the Darnold and Wilson picks.  A smart owner should tear the entire thing down to the studs and start over.  

But they can trade for Aaron Rodgers, spread his cost over 3-4 years, restructure some contracts, use the 2023 draft and capitalize on the current rookie contracts to make a competitive run in 2023-2024.  For a fanbase starved for success, it is worth it.  

But if we don't have our draft picks to fill the holes at C, LT, DT, LB, S, WR, having Rodgers will not get us out of round 1 of the playoffs, if even to the playoffs.  Its not worth it.

So the Packers need to understand that.  Give them pick(s) starting in 2024.  But not rds 1-3 in 2023.   Its not worth trading for Rodgers if we have to give those up.  

That can be Douglas’s stance, fine, but it isn’t really true.

• They should add another center, but while it’s currently looking like they’ll address it in the draft they’re not forced into that corner. If they were actually desperate, last year’s starter is still very available.
  • They don’t have a hole at LT. I get people are nervous but there are two LTs on the roster (not counting AVT as a more credible 3rd LT than anyone else has). There are still veteran tackles left, too.
  • DT ok they do need another starter but it’s not some imperative that this must must come via this season’s draft. It didn’t last year.
  • On paper they have 3 starting LBs. 2 of last year’s starters and a 3rd who’s penciled in at least as a placeholder. Last year’s 3rd LB is still very available and so are other veterans, including a cheaper and better MLB. There’s still ample opportunity to address this in FA if needed post-trade.
  • They don’t gave a hole at safety, as there are two starting safeties on the team right now. That many fans here want to sub out one of them doesn’t make it a team hole. Less still given how much less safety help the corners need compared to most other teams. On the chance they do a veteran swap (e.g. Gardner-Johnson) they won’t feel it so much, as they will also be swapping out a $7MM veteran salary. Otherwise, they’re not likely dumping Whitehead just because they a 3rd-4th round FS prospect anyway.
  • They don’t have a WR hole in need of a draft pick. Their starting trio is in place. WR 4 or 5 isn’t a “hole” in any real sense, they can sign 2 depth WRs at will tomorrow if Douglas so desires, & at least one is probably waiting on the Rodgers trade becoming official.

They should give up as little as possible, but we’re so used to bad QBing it’s hard to overstate how many warts get covered up by a superior QB. Every single serious SB team or contender isn’t loaded with greatness at every single position, and (particularly on defense) they’re not so magnified as when the offense only scores in the teens (or less).

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

His worst year since his rookie year, he is 40, they missed the playoffs in a win and you are in last home game.

Yeah he failed.  Is it all on him?  No.  Is there any future with him for the Packers?  No.

He was injured and had nothing around him.  
He threw for 3700, 65%, 26TDs, 12 INTs, 91 QBR.  111 QBR the year before, 121 the year before.  He was better than Carr or any other alternative.
Drop off seems to be tied to the lack of WRs, not the moaning over a player people just don’t want.   
And he just turned 39, he isn’t 40.  

10 hours ago, GandWFan said:

Completely wrong.  The Jets should not care at all if this drags out.  The longer it goes, the better the Jets position is.  If it goes past the draft, great.  We keep all of our picks this year to continue building the team.  Past the start of otas?  Who cares. AR already knows the offense.  If Rogers shows up to GB training camp, what does GB do then?  If he gets hurt in camp, GB is screwed.  And if he is in the roster on 9/2, AR kills GB's cap.  They can't move forward until Rogers is off their cap.

They lose.  Period.  Full stop.

The Jets are trying to make a SB run this year.  Rodgers is at best 1 and done or 2 and done.  They need him in place ASAP.  The Packers have moved on.  It goes past the draft we give up players and picks next year.  If he's value is a 2 or 3 this year that's not something the Packers have to have before the draft.  

Hackett didn't call the plays for Green Bay in either of his MVP seasons.  The rest of the Jets don't know the offense with Rodgers running it.   Denvers O looked like complete crap under Hackett.  The Jets want him in the building ASAP.

2 things need to happen to push this trade forward. 

1: The Jets need to give a deadline that if missed triggers a lower compensation offer to the Packers

2: Rodgers agent needs to make it clear to the Packers and the public that Rodgers will not play for any other team but the Jets and that if he is not traded he will NOT retire. He will force the Packers to cut him and not get any compensation or pay him $60 million to be a distraction. Which would then leave the Packers with $68 million in dead money in 2024.

Any perceived leverage the Packers have will disappear. Their fan base thinks they have leverage bc they believe the Jets have to make the trade and that if a trade doesn't happen then Rodgers will just retire. I'm sure the Packers are thinking the same thing. 

• Post of the Week 1

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We don't really know that though, do we?  It feels like the rumors we've heard have been flat-out wrong.

You don't let the player talk to another team without a verbal agreement in place beforehand. 

12 hours ago, Skeptable said:

- Packers have slight leverage now because they feel the media will pressure Woody and JD

- The Closer Draft Day comes the more leverage the Jets have if Green Bay wants a draft pick in this draft.

- If Green Bay feels it can wait till 2024 and beyond and get more compensation by waiting then maybe the media shifts back to the Jets and puts pressure Woody and JD.

- If JD sticks to his guns and Aaron starts showing up to training camp this might shift it back into Jets favor

- The closer that it comes to the start of the season it ramps the pressure back on Green Bay because ... Who they gonna start... Bad press narrative starts running through Green Bay...

- On September 8th they need to pick up his option Bonus of 60 Million. I think because if they don't their cap hit is 75 Million or something for 2024.

- At any time Aaron can put more pressure on Packers by doing more weekly spots hurting Green Bay's credibility... From their most tenured player ever.

So there is actually a lot of leverage on Jets side if they play that dirty and wait.

This is why Green Bay has leaked a lot to shefter and other media because they know thats the only leverage they have.

You can say that they Jets need a QB and if GB keeps him on the roster they have 2 and Jets will need to pivot but If Jets play chicken Green Bay screws its franchise in 2024 on top of having a terrible PR with a dissatisfied HOF QB on your roster screwing Love and getting 0 Compensation for your disgruntled HOF QB.

But I think Jets understand this and maybe signs someone like Rivers to hold them over till Rodgers gets traded, or cut. Thats the leverage the Jets have

Part of the confusion is the media is making the assumption that Rodgers will retire to help Green Bay... I think this is Aaron Rodgers Golden Gun... He can just play, and the more you make him mad the worse it gets,...

Bingo! They don't believe Rodgers would continue to play.  Not only would he play just to spite the Packers but he also has 60 million reasons to play.  Imagine him skipping OTA's and training camp just to show up right befit week 1 to collect his $60 million check. Do you know how damaging that would be for the Packers future? I don't think their fans are considering that. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, choon328 said:

1: The Jets need to give a deadline that if missed triggers a lower compensation offer to the Packers

2: Rodgers agent needs to make it clear to the Packers and the public that Rodgers will not play for any other team but the Jets and that if he is not traded he will NOT retire. He will force the Packers to cut him and not get any compensation or pay him $60 million to be a distraction. Which would then leave the Packers with $68 million in dead money in 2024.

Any perceived leverage the Packers have will disappear. Their fan base thinks they have leverage bc they believe the Jets have to make the trade and that if a trade doesn't happen then Rodgers will just retire. I'm sure the Packers are thinking the same thing. 

The Jets and Packers need to sit down and work out a deal.  Rodgers should STFU.  Douglas and Green Bay management should STFU, sit down and calmly work the numbers.  Give and take multiple outcomes that might help grease the wheels for both sides.  Rinse, repeat until they get a deal.  Ultimatimums, trying to undermine your partner in a deal is not in the best interest of either side.  

The NFL is a small club.  These teams are in business together in a profit sharing business.  There is no upside in trying to embarrass your partners in a highly profitable business.  

33 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The Jets are trying to make a SB run this year.  Rodgers is at best 1 and done or 2 and done.  They need him in place ASAP.  The Packers have moved on.  It goes past the draft we give up players and picks next year.  If he's value is a 2 or 3 this year that's not something the Packers have to have before the draft.  

Hackett didn't call the plays for Green Bay in either of his MVP seasons.  The rest of the Jets don't know the offense with Rodgers running it.   Denvers O looked like complete crap under Hackett.  The Jets want him in the building ASAP.

The rest of the tab can learn the offense without Rodgers.  The Jets need him to be in the team before training camp. He already knows the offense. The Jets can wait a lot longer than the Packers can. 

The Jets and Packers need to sit down and work out a deal.  Rodgers should STFU.  Douglas and Green Bay management should STFU, sit down and calmly work the numbers.  Give and take multiple outcomes that might help grease the wheels for both sides.  Rinse, repeat until they get a deal.  Ultimatimums, trying to undermine your partner in a deal is not in the best interest of either side.  
The NFL is a small club.  These teams are in business together in a profit sharing business.  There is no upside in trying to embarrass your partners in a highly profitable business.  
I agree except for the Rodgers part .. the teams shouldn't care w he says or does at all.

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It sounds like the Packers already undermined the deal. Part of the art of negotiation is letting the other person know you will walk away. The Jets need to let them know that. 

The Packers believe they have leverage bc they think it's too late for the Jets to walk away, they're wrong. 

21 minutes ago, choon328 said:

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

It sounds like the Packers already undermined the deal. Part of the art of negotiation is letting the other person know you will walk away. The Jets need to let them know that. 

The Packers believe they have leverage bc they think it's too late for the Jets to walk away, they're wrong. 

You are ignoring the fact that Packers and the Jets are partners in a business.  There are interests in play here that go beyond the two GM's.  The league wants this deal.  The Packers want this deal and so do the Jets.  They need to work it out.  Public posturing has zero to do with it. 

11 hours ago, johnnysd said:

It's how I would negotiate it mostly. I would actually withdraw entirely until they call back and then lower the offer. Compensation should be the same as Favre

If he really wanted to play hard ball sign Lamar to an offer sheet today. 

21 minutes ago, Biggs said:

You are ignoring the fact that Packers and the Jets are partners in a business.  There are interests in play here that go beyond the two GM's.  The league wants this deal.  The Packers want this deal and so do the Jets.  They need to work it out.  Public posturing has zero to do with it. 

The Jets and Packers don't have shared interests. And you have no idea what the "league" wants. 

10 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The Jets and Packers don't have shared interests. And you have no idea what the "league" wants. 

They do have shared interest.  If they didn't they wouldn't be in trade talks.  They have different goals in how the trade is structured.  The league wants a deal done and Rodgers to play football on the Jets next year because that's what the Packers, Jets and Rodgers want and it's good for ad revenue which is good for the league, the Jets and the Packers.  

13 hours ago, Skeptable said:

I agree with all of this.

But THIS is the biggest leverage IMO. And its not so much that they would be screwing Love. Its that they could be screwing themselves out of a young, 1st round, potential Franchise QB who they love and have been grooming for years. They need to decide if they will pick up Love's option and simply can't do so without seeing him lead this team for a full season. Rodgers is in the way and puts them in a position where they pretty much have to trade him this offseason. IMO, apart from everything else you mentioned, this is one of the biggest points of leverage the Jets have. The fact is that GB needs to trade him more so than the Jets need to trade for him. If push comes to shove, the Jets can wait it out or move on. What the Jets need is a quality QB, not Rodgers. GB however pretty much has to trade him (assuming Rodgers does not retire).  

And the Jets are easily the biggest, most interested suitor. Sure, GB can cut off their own nose to spite their face and trade him to another team for lesser compensation. But why would they.   

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

I agree except for the Rodgers part .. the teams shouldn't care w he says or does at all.

Are you serious? This is a joke, right?

He's not a robot. He could decide to retire and poof, there ARE no negotiations.

When it comes to players of Rodgers' status, their opinion almost ALWAYS matters, sometimes less than other times but it almost always has an impact. Nobody wants to trade for a disgruntled star who doesn't want to be on his new team. Nobody wants to trade for a player who suddenly retires. So yes, it does matter. If the player says he doesn't want to be traded to a certain team and will retire, yes, it matters.