OT: March Madness discussion

49 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I don’t get it. All that Sasquatch for Purdue had to was slam dunk the ball, like always.

coaching…

42 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Man the Big Ten just continues to disappoint every March.  The sooner the conference as a whole moves on from the ultra slow, ultra physical, outdated brand of basketball the better.  

3 straight NCAA Tournament losses by Purdue to double digit seeds the last 3 years.

Matt Painter has 0 Final 4 appearances and just 1 Elite 8 appearance in his 18 seasons there.

How is he not on the hot seat yet, if he isn't already?

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Man the Big Ten just continues to disappoint every March.  The sooner the conference as a whole moves on from the ultra slow, ultra physical, outdated brand of basketball the better.  

How many years have people been saying that? Seems like forever.

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

3 straight NCAA Tournament losses by Purdue to double digit seeds the last 3 years.

Matt Painter has 0 Final 4 appearances and just 1 Elite 8 appearance in his 18 seasons there.

Big Ten-itis 

• Upvote 1

I saw Penny Hardaway and the Memphis State Tigers (as they were known as back then) play in the Holiday Festival at the Garden back in the day. They were a fun team to watch, but the lasting memory I have was how their Dance Squad (yes their dance squad) stole the show.

People’s jaws dropped as we watched their first routine during an early time out. Then as the night went on, they got standing ovations every time they finished a routine. They were incredible.

I’m wondering if they are still a thing?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Penn State was pretty impressive last night.  The ball movement on offense was incredible.  Just kept running their offense, getting open looks and knocking them down.  And A&M ooked clueless all night.  On both ends of the court.

Don't remind me.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Penn State was pretty impressive last night.  The ball movement on offense was incredible.  Just kept running their offense, getting open looks and knocking them down.  And A&M ooked clueless all night.  On both ends of the court.

Don't remind me.

36 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He needs to go.....now.

• Haha 2

It was fine that it happened to the Cavs because they used it as fuel the following year. There's a great article by either SI or ESPN how Bennett told the team to talk about the loss to make sure they own it. To get over the trauma they would always put the loss as context for why they did things. They had buy in from their veterans Kyle Guy and DeAndre Hunter who would talk and talk about the loss as a way of making themselves feel comfortable with it. It worked, by the time the season started the loss was always front and center so they never played scared and doubted themselves when they were down. It's a great ******* story and I don't know why there hasn't been a movie made about it yet.

Now Zach Edey and Purdue. Do they look like they're the type of team that learns all the right lessons from something traumatic as this? Lol.

• Upvote 2

I’ve got two pools. Duke in one, Kentucky in the other.

I had the Princeton upset, because I always take them in the first round and almost had another one with Keneshaw.
I’m killing it so far with my game picks… against the spread I’m 9-2. If Memphis can cover it will be 10.

34 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

This place is unreal, lol.

A bunch of Jets fans calling for the head of the guy who coached one of the 4 best D1 schools in the country this year…

Calm Down Chill Out GIF by StickerGiant

What does it matter when the dude can't win NCAA Tournament games?  lol.  No one cares if you excel in the Big 10.  It's all about the national stage at that level. 

And this isn't a one-time deal for him.  All coaches get picked off in the tournament from time to time.  But for Painter it seems like it happens every year.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What does it matter when the dude can't win NCAA Tournament games?  lol.  No one cares if you excel in the Big 10.  It's all about the national stage at that level. 

And this isn't a one-time deal for him.  All coaches get picked off in the tournament from time to time.  But for Painter it seems like it happens every year.

Painter sucks. They would come out of time outs completely lost and not running any plays. That’s a sign of a bad coach

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

Painter sucks. They would come out of time outs completely lost and not running any plays. That’s a sign of a bad coach

And how can you be the biggest team in the tournament playing the smallest team and only come out of that one +9 on the glass?  They allowed FDU to collect 11 Offensive Rebounds.

Especially when you consider they exclusively play M2M (its harder to rebound out of a zone).

Mind boggling.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

My guess is because Purdue is nowhere near a blue blood so they’re happy with a coach who has them competitive every year. Maybe this is finally their wake up call.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, PS17 said:

My guess is because Purdue is nowhere near a blue blood so they’re happy with a coach who has them competitive every year. Maybe this is finally their wake up call.

I’m not saying they are a blue blood, but they are certainly in the next tier.  Purdue Basketball has a pretty storied history, just can’t win the big one. I doubt Painter is going anywhere but there are certainly Purdue fans ready to move on.

Iowa fits your description far more than Purdue and it’s about 50/50 on whether they should fire their coach.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

How many years have people been saying that? Seems like forever.

The great guard recruits that translate over better to the modern game still go to the programs that will put them in the biggest spotlight, Duke, Kansas…etc. Big 10 gets these plodders for a reason. I do think there are some early signs of shifts happening in that regard though. 

Edey really is a classic example of where basketball is now. He’d be a top 3 pick in the 80’s. Now he’s barely a first rounder. 

• Upvote 3