The Jets should do what the Falcons did during the John Abraham Trade

2 minutes ago, Jets Things said:

Mangold was the 30th pick of the first round. Just sayin'. 

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/nick-mangold-on-his-ring-of-honor-induction-it-s-really-special

Mangold, the 29th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft out of Ohio State, started each of the 171 games he played with the Jets. A two-time first team All-Pro (2009 and '10) and second team All-Pro in 2011, Mangold was a seven-time Pro Bowl selection. During his career, he was at the center of six top-1o rushing offenses, including the Nos. 1 and 4 units, in 2009 and 2010. He had a 4-3 mark in three postseason appearances, which included back-t0-back runs to the AFC championship game in 2009-10.

Not that it matters, but he was 29.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, xperseus said:

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/nick-mangold-on-his-ring-of-honor-induction-it-s-really-special

Mangold, the 29th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft out of Ohio State, started each of the 171 games he played with the Jets. A two-time first team All-Pro (2009 and '10) and second team All-Pro in 2011, Mangold was a seven-time Pro Bowl selection. During his career, he was at the center of six top-1o rushing offenses, including the Nos. 1 and 4 units, in 2009 and 2010. He had a 4-3 mark in three postseason appearances, which included back-t0-back runs to the AFC championship game in 2009-10.

I stand corrected and humbly apologize.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

dont get cute. Abraham was a DE not a HOF QB. if we didnt trade him it was no big deal. if we dont get Rodgers then Zach is back at QB. no QBs are left. its gotten so bad out there that if we lost Rodgers we would have to bring back Flacco to back him up. even Dalton is gone

• WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, doitny said:

dont get cute. Abraham was a DE not a HOF QB. if we didnt trade him it was no big deal. if we dont get Rodgers then Zach is back at QB. no QBs are left. its gotten so bad out there that if we lost Rodgers we would have to bring back Flacco to back him up. even Dalton is gone

Mariotta over ZW all day everyday and draft Will Levi’s trade ZW 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Ugh 1

1 hour ago, xperseus said:

Back when John Abraham was being shopped to the Falcons Mike Tannenbaum insisted on receiving a 1st round pick in the trade.  The Falcons GM who i believe was Rich Mckay at the time didn't want to give up a first.  Tannenbaum was patient and the falcons were getting frustrated waiting day after day but the Jets wouldn't budge.  Finally Mckay got pissed and decided to trade back.  I can't rememeber what pick the falcons originally had but they traded all the way back to pick 29, picked up extra picks and shipped 29 to the Jets which eventually became Nick Mangold.

If the Packers insist on a first round pick and they won't budge, Joe Douglass should call every team and trade back as many times as he can, pick up extra picks and then offer Green Bay a late first.  By the time they get that done we could have a stock pile of picks to  build with and still land Rodgers.

The Jets 13th overall (1,150 points) minus the Packers 45th overall (450 points) equals to the 26th overall pick. If it's all about getting a 1st rounder then getting them the value of the last overall 1st rounder should do.

But a precedent has already been set. This was set when draft picks was considered some what less valuable as the value increases due to the rookie wage scale. Favre was traded for a 3rd with escalate that could have pump it to a 1st or 2nd. Matt Ryan last year was only traded for a 3rd. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

The Jets 13th overall (1,150 points) minus the Packers 45th overall (450 points) equals to the 26th overall pick. If it's all about getting a 1st rounder then getting them the value of the last overall 1st rounder should do.

But a precedent has already been set. This was set when draft picks was considered some what less valuable as the value increases due to the rookie wage scale. Favre was traded for a 3rd with escalate that could have pump it to a 1st or 2nd. Matt Ryan last year was only traded for a 3rd. 

Matt Ryan is an interesting comp for trade value.

Aging but consisent high performer, coming off a down year, traded after the falcons publicly attempted to bring in Watson.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, xperseus said:

Back when John Abraham was being shopped to the Falcons Mike Tannenbaum insisted on receiving a 1st round pick in the trade.  The Falcons GM who i believe was Rich Mckay at the time didn't want to give up a first.  Tannenbaum was patient and the falcons were getting frustrated waiting day after day but the Jets wouldn't budge.  Finally Mckay got pissed and decided to trade back.  I can't rememeber what pick the falcons originally had but they traded all the way back to pick 29, picked up extra picks and shipped 29 to the Jets which eventually became Nick Mangold.

If the Packers insist on a first round pick and they won't budge, Joe Douglass should call every team and trade back as many times as he can, pick up extra picks and then offer Green Bay a late first.  By the time they get that done we could have a stock pile of picks to  build with and still land Rodgers.

i would hold the line but if it comes down to it, i rather this than give away 13.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Jdub03 said:

Matt Ryan is an interesting comp for trade value.

Aging but consisent high performer, coming off a down year, traded after the falcons publicly attempted to bring in Watson.

and he's available now as well... if this "trade" craps the bed, there's always that too... not that I really want him but he's better than nothing.

I Still have Faith in JD & He WILL GET Rodgers at His Buying Price. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, xperseus said:

My step daughter is a junior at Ohio State.  I bought a #55 Mangold jersey, OSU that I wear when I go up there.

Crazy thing.. people up there comment and respect Mangold but after debating it with the OSU tailgaters etc.... they tell me that Mangold is not even in the top 25 of OSU football players.  Amazing that as great a Jet as he was, he is not in any list of great OSU players top 25.

6 hours ago, doitny said:

i think carson wentz is still available

• Haha 1

I have a feeling JD is not even offering a 2nd round pick for this year's draft.

It would not surprise me if JD offered a 3rd this year and conditional 4th that could go to a 2nd next year.

I like the idea though if it's a 1st they want.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

There is far more panic with the fan base than there is in Florham Park right now.

They'll work this out.  The Jets will get Rodgers - this price will play itself out.  

GB wants #13.  That's what reports are of their asking price.  Not just a 1st round pick.  Can the Jets work out a deal where GB will take 25 or something.  I guess they can.  But it's still part of the negotiation.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, xperseus said:

I like the idea… but where we’re drafting isn’t exactly a spot that teams are really trying to go to. Very well could be where all 4 QBs are gone by then. So it’d be a team trying to trade up for an OT or DL likely. You generally only see teams trading up this much before the draft to them them In a  good spot to draft a QB.

Now what could happen is a team like let’s say Tampa Bay that’s at 19 might think the cost to go into the top 10 is too much right now. So they make a trade with us to get them closer. And then they’re in sticking distance more of a QB does fall a bit.

12 hours ago, xperseus said:

Excellent foresight. Explained much clearer with examples than I could have.

12 hours ago, tdoublee said:

I have a feeling JD is not even offering a 2nd round pick for this year's draft.

It would not surprise me if JD offered a 3rd this year and conditional 4th that could go to a 2nd next year.

I like the idea though if it's a 1st they want.

This. GB has ZERO leverage. The video on OverTheCap spells it out nicely. GB has no other suitor for Rodgers, and there is no way they are keeping him. If this trade blows up, I would bet that Rodgers will not retire just to stick it to GB and collect his $59 mil this year. GB has to trade him to the Jets or eat that money. They may drag it out, but at some point they will fold.

JD would be a fool to give them a single first.