PRO BOWL CENTER Ben Jones AVAILABLE!

6 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm good with Ben Jones as a place holder but the Jets are targeting John Michael Schmitz (senior bowl, combine, 30 day visit)

If the Jets give up the second in the Rodgers trade Schmitz will probably be gone....could see a Wypler on day 3.

5 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm good with Ben Jones as a place holder but the Jets are targeting John Michael Schmitz (senior bowl, combine, 30 day visit)

Then they will require their 3rd round pick to grab him.

2nd round pick for OSU Wypler.

If GB gets our 3rd, then it’s Wypler or a trade back with #13 or # 43 for an additionalI pick in rd. 2 or 3. I can definitely see JD making this play. The value in this draft is found in day 2.

I suppose it's just me but signing a player with multiple concussions just feels wrong.  If he's already under contract then of course, sure, you deal with it the best you can for both the player and the team's sake.  But signing a new contract, no.       

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I get the feeling the Jets are keeping all their picks this year. I think Packers are going to wait til after the draft

I think it really depends on how far apart they are.   if GB is really looking for #13+ and the Jets are offering a 3rd+conditional

GB may just hold the Jets up, just to be difficult.  They know they have to fold eventually but will make it as difficult as possible for the Jets to integrate Rodgers - even if it has a negative impact on their team. In other words...Spite their nose to Bite their face.

I ultimately don't think they will, as any quality business, of any type, can't make their decisions based on spite and anger.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think it really depends on how far apart they are.   if GB is really looking for #13+ and the Jets are offering a 3rd+conditional

GB may just hold the Jets up, just to be difficult.  They know they have to fold eventually but will make it as difficult as possible for the Jets to integrate Rodgers - even if it has a negative impact on their team. In other words...Spite their nose to Bite their face.

I ultimately don't think they will, as any quality business, of any type, can't make their decisions based on spite and anger.  

Except that their team is run by committee .. may more wildcards

Lots of talk about drafting a center but do they really want to start a rookie on the oline? Sure center is the least important oline position but it still makes sense to have a vet in place. They could bring back McGovern for short money ( maybe) and then draft a guy.

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I get the feeling the Jets are keeping all their picks this year. I think Packers are going to wait til after the draft

I would bet against it...if the Packers waste the offseason bickering with the Jets rather than trying to build a team around their 1st year starting QB they are runned by buffoons.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I think AR forces something before the draft. 

I don't remember where I heard it, but the point is valid...The nfl would likely get involved if this keeps dragging out. Schedule release is set for May 11... they wont allow this to go beyond that.  You think the NFL wants to get stuck putting the jets in 5 prime time games, only for this to fall through and get roped into Zach wilson being nationally broadcast that many times??? Goodell would cry in a corner.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Why do you say that?

IMO, it just gets worse for the Packers.  Every day that goes by it gets better for the Jets (from a negotiation stand point)

Because it helps their cap space thus season, they can delay til week 1. Our deadline we want him by is going to be training camp

22 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Because it helps their cap space thus season, they can delay til week 1. Our deadline we want him by is going to be training camp

So again though - they'e willing to wait to get nothing for him - just out of spite.  They'll be no trade value at that point. 

The cap issue isn't really a thing .  They owe the same amount of money - just spend over two years instead of one, other contracts can be restructured to achieve the same results as waiting. It really is a non-issue.

So they take less value in a trade for Rodgers - so they can save some time in restructuring other contracts.

The longer this goes on the more pressure will be on the Packers.

Ultimately this will get done before the draft - because GB knows it's a net negative to wait.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So again though - they'e willing to wait to get nothing for him - just out of spite.  They'll be no trade value at that point. 

The cap issue isn't really a thing .  They owe the same amount of money - just spend over two years instead of one, other contracts can be restructured to achieve the same results as waiting. It really is a non-issue.

So they take less value in a trade for Rodgers - so they can save some time in restructuring other contracts.

Ultimately this will get done before the draft - because GB knows it's a net negative to wait.

They only get to split the money over 2 years after June 1   It’s a 25 million dollar difference before and after June 1. That’s a lot of cap space. I don’t think it’s done before then. They would need a huge offer to justify taking a 40 million dollar hit this year especially if they plan to do the 20 million dollar 5th year option for love. 
settle in for a long wait. 

46 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah the cap situation wouldn't matter much by training camp anyway I think the draft picks wasted in this years draft sets back their building around Love by a year.... also the Jets will have far less assets going into next years draft...next years 1 will be in the late 20's might as well just settle for this years 2 plus extras.   I would be shocked if this goes past the draft.

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

They only get to split the money over 2 years after June 1   It’s a 25 million dollar difference before and after June 1. That’s a lot of cap space. I don’t think it’s done before then. They would need a huge offer to justify taking a 40 million dollar hit this year especially if they plan to do the 20 million dollar 5th year option for love. 
settle in for a long wait. 

Unless I’m wrong it’s really an $8.7M hit over their current cap situation ($24M in space) versus $15.8M savings so a difference of $24.5M. The thing is, what are they going to do with $16M in new cap space post June 1? They could sign somebody, but at that point most guys have picked their spot.

Given this is a transition year for them anyway  since Rodgers isn’t coming back, I’d argue it’s better to just take the hit - which they’re pretty much prepared to do given their FA activity - get draft capital sooner, and have the cap space in future years when they’re better able to assess their overall roster situation and know what they’re doing at QB.

I think they can posture about wanting to wait until June 1, but realistically I think not trading for capital this year to open up cap space really late is actually a negative for the Packers and a benefit for the Jets - as they can hang onto all their 2023 picks to improve this roster and still get Rodgers in for TC.

If I’m in Douglas’ shoes I have a 2023 draft offer I feel is fair (and doesn’t include pick 13) on the table and if the Packers wait that’s fine. Really think it’s better for GB to get this done pre-draft and it’s a tick better for the Jets to do it post draft.

• Post of the Week 1