• Mason Rudolph
    • Trevor Siemien
    • Josh Johnson
    • Nate Sudfeld
    • Brian Hoyer
    • Chase Daniel
    • Other...name em
    • Draft pick...name em

Jets have Zach on the roster who really shouldn't see the field unless we're talking final few games of the season, playoffs either locked up or out of the question.

If not Zach, who?

Edited by AFJF
  • WTF? 1

Strev should be 2, with Zach being inactive on game days. Strev could be used in the taysom hill role and be the game day back up. If Rodgers gets injured Zach would jump strev and be the next man up as the starting qb. I don’t think Zach should touch the field this year but I think this is the most cost effective route with us being forced to carry Wilson. Just can’t see the jets paying 4-5 mill for a back up with Wilson’s salary on the books and all that money tied to Rodgers. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

Could be wrong but I dont think Teddy B. has made it through a single series the past few times he's been forced to action.  Legit, think he's been knocked out anytime he's had to start.  While probably the most adequate from a play perspective, he's not trust worthy at all.

And while he sucked last year, I still think in a pinch, Matt Ryan can lead a team like this to victory or two if necessary.

I'd go sign Matt Ryan today, boot Zach to the moon, draft a QB and run w/ the 2 veterans and let Matt Ryan slowly transition into coaching by working w/ the young QB unless he's tapped on the shoulder unfortunately. 

• Upvote 3

It's irrelevant. The QB2 is clearly going to be Zach Wilson. 

Whether it's trying to maintain his trade value or, in any internal hope/belief he'll turn his career around (for the Jets, at that), they can't go into the draft with him already slotted as the QB3.

Draft a QB? Yeah fine, though it'd be on day 3 just because (a) using earlier draft picks on his eventual replacement is an obvious sore point with the QB they're acquiring, and (b) make the drafted QB earn it in a way they didn't with Zach. Plus then it isn't necessarily a knock on Wilson to draft a QB3 (i.e. long-term QB2 or hoping to strike oil) in the last couple rounds. San Fran did that when they drafted Purdy at the bottom of round 7 with the QB1 and QB2 already locked in, independent of their 1-2 pecking order.

But aside from fan desire, while I'd never say never, the Jets acquiring a second veteran QB seems a long shot. That is, at least until they've seen in camp that Wilson doesn't look any better at all to them, in which case they then might pluck a desperate job-seeker among those remaining on the above list, or potentially just add someone Hackett & Rodgers both know already, like Henne or Boyle, despite the likely fan groans that'd follow.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Why would anyone want a rookie number 2?

I wouldn't.  That was dumb of me to say.  

Would love to see the Jets draft any of those guys as developmental QB's, but QB2 has to be a vet.  Just can't be Zach.

I might actually prefer Josh Johnson over all of the "bigger names" in the bunch.

Can't believe Wentz was an MVP candidate early in his career.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

I wouldn't.  That was dumb of me to say.  

Would love to see the Jets draft any of those guys as developmental QB's, but QB2 has to be a vet.  Just can't be Zach.

I might actually prefer Josh Johnson over all of the "bigger names" in the bunch.

Can't believe Wentz was an MVP candidate early in his career.

Sure it's possible, but prepare now for disappointment. It not only can be but in all likeliness will be Zach (until/unless he's traded or they see him flopping in camp this spring-summer, or unless the coaches & GM already despise him in green as much as so many among the fanbase).

I just don't see Douglas burying him as QB3 before the team even walks onto the field in minicamp (never mind regular camp). 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, extmenace said:

Strev should be 2, with Zach being inactive on game days. Strev could be used in the taysom hill role and be the game day back up. If Rodgers gets injured Zach would jump strev and be the next man up as the starting qb. I don’t think Zach should touch the field this year but I think this is the most cost effective route with us being forced to carry Wilson. Just can’t see the jets paying 4-5 mill for a back up with Wilson’s salary on the books and all that money tied to Rodgers. 

Strev should be the #2 QB on a CFL team.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I'd really like it to be Teddy Two Gloves - a quality backup with considerable starting experience.

But it's probably going to be Wilson.

I like Teddy too, but he has an uncanny ability to get hurt immediately upon entering a game. 

• Haha 1

Assuming Rodgers signs and there is no ZW trade partner before training camp, Douglas most likely has to use a third roster spot for somebody they think can slide up to #1 in 2024 if Rodgers bails after a year. The risk is too high that Rodgers retires after another year to roll into 2024 looking for another starting vet. The risk is too low that ZW emerges as the guy after a year on the bench. Signing a vet backup for QB2 means accepting the risk that Rodgers splits and there are no better options than to play a vet backup or ZW as starter in 2024. It makes way more sense to draft a QB--even out of the mid-rounds as a project--and let the rookie and ZW battle for QB2. 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Strev should be the #2 QB on a CFL team.

I don’t think strev is a legit nfl qb but I do think he has potential as a gadget player. With Wilson on the roster, you’re gonna need someone who will play at or near the vet min. Might as well have a guy that can do something other than hold a clipboard.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, extmenace said:

I don’t think strev is a legit nfl qb but I do think he has potential as a gadget player. With Wilson on the roster, you’re gonna need someone who will play at or near the vet min. Might as well have a guy that can do something other than hold a clipboard.

Agreed.  He's a gadget guy.  I think he could even be a RB.