How good is Jets FS Tony Adams?

Not the sexiest of topics but important as the Jets have a real opportunity to be the best secondary in the NFL.

Anyone watch Tony Adams closely when he filled in for Joyner?

(This is the guy we kept instead of Jason Pinnock.)

Former Illinois Corner, great athletic profile (4.47, 41” vertical, 10+ feet broad jump), supposedly excellent range.

The Jets have been linked to at least 1 free agent Center, OT, DT but not 1 word about a Free Safety.  It’s the fans who are hypothesizing about Byard from the Titans.  It would seem odd/risky the Jets are putting all their eggs into this basket.

In today’s popular 2 high shell where each safety covers a deep half of the field, I really can’t imagine the Jets feel comfortable with Whitehead & Clark, who are both known to be better in the box (in the case of Clark, covering TEs in man coverage). 

So are the tea leaves telling us the Jets are very high on Adams and have him pencilled in as a starter?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Not the sexiest of topics but important as the Jets have a real opportunity to be the best secondary in the NFL.

Anyone watch Tony Adams closely when he filled in for Joyner?

(This is the guy we kept instead of Jason Pinnock.)

Former Illinois Corner, great athletic profile (4.47, 41” vertical, 10+ feet broad jump), supposedly excellent range.

The Jets have been linked to at least 1 free agent Center, OT, DT but not 1 word about a Free Safety.  It’s the fans who are hypothesizing about Byard from the Titans.  It would seem odd/risky the Jets are putting all their eggs into this basket.

In today’s popular 2 high shell where each safety covers a deep half of the field, I really can’t imagine the Jets feel comfortable with Whitehead & Clark, who are both known to be better in the box (in the case of Clark, covering TEs in man coverage). 

So are the tea leaves telling us the Jets are very high on Adams and have him pencilled in as a starter?

I think a couple things play into this... We still have Whitehead who if you look previous to last season was a good S. So they might just be expecting him to play to the level they know he can play. We traded for Clark who can play FS. So we very well might be 100% happy with Clark and Whitehead. Obviously we have some flexibility here with Whitehead able to get cut or even restructure if we need. And since Clark IMO is better as a SS that would open the door for us to need a FS if we did cut Whitehead and moved Clark to S.

I think we view Adams as a depth piece as FS with ST value. Highly doubt we're looking at him as a starter right now. I could be wrong. But just bc he looked better than Joyner who was garbage last year. Doesn't mean he should start. He was a project a bit like Sherwood. So continue developing him. I am still shocked we kept Adams over Pinnock, but what's done is done.

I also don't see any Day 1 FS starter for us at 13 that would start over Clark and Whitehead.

• Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

I haven’t seen Adam’s make any plays that standout yet so I think the Jets need a veteran starter ballhawk type here. 

I would agree but we’ve watched these ballhawk types sign elsewhere, with Gardner Johnson being the latest.

So what ballhawk are we talking to or waiting for?

Offensive line has to be the priority at the top of the draft and likely with whatever premium picks remain after Rodgers.  Center / OT.

The early moves or lack thereof, including at Linebacker, tell me the Jets might like a rotation of the following.

2 high:  Adams + Whitehead

3 high:  2 CBs + Adams (deep middle third) + Whitehead (Strongside short zone)

1 high + Box/Man:  Adams + Clark

I wonder if the addition of the versatile Clark waters down the Kwon Alexander role.  Clark is one of the best covering TEs in man.  Sherwood takes on the base role and begins to assume some of Mosley’s third down coverage responsibilities.

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think a couple things play into this... We still have Whitehead who if you look previous to last season was a good S. So they might just be expecting him to play to the level they know he can play. We traded for Clark who can play FS. So we very well might be 100% happy with Clark and Whitehead. Obviously we have some flexibility here with Whitehead able to get cut or even restructure if we need. And since Clark IMO is better as a SS that would open the door for us to need a FS if we did cut Whitehead and moved Clark to S.

I think we view Adams as a depth piece as FS with ST value. Highly doubt we're looking at him as a starter right now. I could be wrong. But just bc he looked better than Joyner who was garbage last year. Doesn't mean he should start. He was a project a bit like Sherwood. So continue developing him. I am still shocked we kept Adams over Pinnock, but what's done is done.

I also don't see any Day 1 FS starter for us at 13 that would start over Clark and Whitehead.

From Jetsxfactor

Clark career coverage when lined up anywhere other than the slot:

• 128 targets
  • 94 completions
  • 1,015 yards
  • 10 TD
  • 3 INT
  • 112.6 passer rating
  • 7.9 yards per target

Digging deeper, it seems that Clark’s poor non-slot coverage numbers primarily stem from reps where he played deep zone coverage as part of a two-high shell.

According to NFL Next Gen Stats, here are Clark’s coverage numbers when lining up as a deep safety and playing zone coverage as one of two high safeties:

• 17 targets
  • 13 completions
  • 196 yards
  • 3 TD
  • 0 INT
  • 153.4 passer rating
  • 11.5 yards per target
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Ugh 1

27 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I would agree but we’ve watched these ballhawk types sign elsewhere, with Gardner Johnson being the latest.

So what ballhawk are we talking to or waiting for?

Offensive line has to be the priority at the top of the draft and likely with whatever premium picks remain after Rodgers.  Center / OT.

The early moves or lack thereof, including at Linebacker, tell me the Jets might like a rotation of the following.

2 high:  Adams + Whitehead

3 high:  2 CBs + Adams (deep middle third) + Whitehead (Strongside short zone)

1 high + Box/Man:  Adams + Clark

I wonder if the addition of the versatile Clark waters down the Kwon Alexander role.  Clark is one of the best covering TEs in man.  Sherwood takes on the base role and begins to assume some of Mosley’s third down coverage responsibilities.

Interesting assessment here on the formation stuff.

I'd be interested to see if it plays out on the field during the season. 

Cool stuff, man.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Adam is strictly a SS box defender. If he's to have a secondary position it would be at a tweener SS-WSLB position before it would be as a FS. 

That is my understanding of how they want to use him. Hopefully there are still big upgrades ahead at Safety.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

That is my understanding of how they want to use him. Hopefully there are still big upgrades ahead at Safety.

He's a converted corner who can cover better than your average box safety.  Don't know how much they like him, but I'd expect to see him used all over the field.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 1

I would not label Adams as a box safety at all. Just because he can tackle, doesnt mean he cant be used in the deep part of the field as well.  

While im surprised I havent seen us address a true FS, I do think the team really liked what they saw in Adams and are hoping he can at least play a rotational role and be somewhat interchangeable with Clark. 

I still would love to see us make an aggressive play for someone like Byard just from a talent standpoint alone, he would really give us the best secondary in the league.

One thing to think about though - I would imagine that JD and Saleh are assuming that the defense will change in the sense that for the first time in the past decade we may actually be playing with a lead now that Rogers will be the QB. That changes the entire complexity of the defense, really allows us to use Sauce and Reed and rush the passer more aggressively.  Just a though to how they may be viewing the safety position

• Upvote 3