2023 'Hard Knocks' Candidates: Jets Ranked #1

Last year, the Lions were announced March 28.

If the Jets are in fact the choice this year, perhaps Goodell will push Murphy and Douglas to get this done within the next week.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-hard-knocks-candidates-ranking-jets-bears-saints-commanders-by-entertainmen

2023 'Hard Knocks' candidates: Ranking Jets, Bears, Saints, Commanders by entertainment potential

Whichever team is featured on HBO's Hard Knocks this summer has a lot to live up to.

Shouts to Lions coach Dan Campbell for setting the tone for last year's season with his kneecap-biting style. The personalities, the culture of the city, the players' stories ... 2022's look at the Detroit Lions set the bar high for 2023.

Which team will be in the spotlight this year? Well, thanks to exemptions that have been in place since 2014, we know teams won't be required to appear on the show if they meet any of the following criteria:

1. They have a first-year head coach.
  2. They have secured a playoff berth in the past two seasons.
  3. They have appeared on Hard Knocks within the past 10 years.

Now, teams can volunteer to be featured on the show, although they'd have to first reckon with the fact that no team has won the Super Bowl after being featured. So we can safely use those exemptions to whittle the pool of likely candidates down to four teams. (And maybe one of them can break the Hard Knocks Super Bowl curse.)

Here is how I'd rank the four candidates in order of potential entertainment value:

Rank
New York Jets

The Jets were very much in the playoff hunt for most of last season, even without stellar quarterback play. Running back Breece Hall suffered an ACL tear midway through an excellent rookie campaign, and the team started to crumble; New York lost its last six games, finishing 7-10 after a 5-2 start.

Now, though, four-time MVP Aaron Rodgers is set to take the reins clad in Gotham Green, surrounded by a healthy, youthful and talented squad, including both 2022 Rookies of the Year (Garrett Wilson on offense and Sauce Gardner on defense). Plus, new offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett will be a familiar face for Rodgers. There are plenty of personalities to go around here. Not to mention the setting, the "concrete jungle where dreams are made of," with each episode providing a chance to show off New York. Gosh, there's just so much to like if Gang Green makes it to the screen.

• Ugh 7

1 minute ago, BurntDice said:

With one jets Drive being so good I don’t really care if the team is on hard knocks 

Which is why I'm kind of surprised they'd be the leading candidate.  I dont know if all teams do this, so maybe it's not a differentiator but it's really well done and season long instead of just the preseason. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

If the Jets are in fact the choice this year, perhaps Goodell will push Murphy and Douglas to get this done within the next week.

You don’t think the whole team waiting around for Rodgers to arrive won’t be compelling TV that first week? He might ask them to put it off!

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Which is why I'm kind of surprised they'd be the leading candidate.  I dont know if all teams do this, so maybe it's not a differentiator but it's really well done and season long instead of just the preseason. 

The only difference might be they are probably not pro jets bias with hard knocks. I haven’t watched it since the last time the jets were on it so I’m not sure how different it is 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

They won't want to do it when Rodgers tells them he's won't be mic'd and refuses to say anything on camera.

The team gets to control what's seen. They are not going to insist that AR participate.

I don't know if Rodgers has any desire for a media career after he retires but Hard Knocks would be a good way to rehab his identity from conspiracy weirdo who is impossible to work with to a misunderstood hippy who rubbed his old boss the wrong way.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Hard Knocks is now a terrible show. It's grown old and is mostly fluff now.   I'd be happy if HBO canceled it.  The Jets on Hard Knocks is worse.  It is a major distraction. Hark Knocks is the main reason for such anti-Jets bias in the NFL media and elsewhere.  The 2010 show was a PR disaster for the franchise.  With One Jets Drive, Jets fans have our own show. Who needs Hard Knocks?  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

It's a lock we will 100% get Hard Knocks

- Aaron Rodgers, potentially not settled a la Revis the last time

- Quinnen Contract

- OROY + DROY

- Likely Comeback Player of the Year in Breece.

- Revis & Klecko HoF

- Zach Wilson drama

- Players will love brand recognition 

I'm also pretty certain the last time the Jets were on Hard Knocks is still their highest rated season.

I'm here for it

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1
  • Ugh 1

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

I don't know if Rodgers has any desire for a media career after he retires but Hard Knocks would be a good way to rehab his identity from conspiracy weirdo who is impossible to work with to a misunderstood hippy who rubbed his old boss the wrong way.

Adam Sandler Reaction GIF

I like him just the way he is... the media and the normies can eat a bag of glyphosate covered ****s.

Doubt he wants to spend retirement commiserating with the  talking heads and Shifty Schefters of the world, I think it's Jeopardy or a bungalow for that guy.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

081822JetsBK90.jpg

I hope he's not part of what's holding up the trade.  This guy has to be a fixture for this franchise going forward.

But if he is part of it, then Hard Knocks absolutely needs to film the whole process of choosing the person who has to tell him that he's been traded.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

- Quinnen Contract

- OROY + DROY

- Revis & Klecko HoF

- Zach Wilson drama

I'm also pretty certain the last time the Jets were on Hard Knocks is still their highest rated season.

I'm here for it

Unfortunately, I think you're correct.   It just adds to the LOLJets circus.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

- Quinnen Contract

- OROY + DROY

- Revis & Klecko HoF

- Zach Wilson drama

I'm here for it

As a fan, how could you not love the idea? It's a bit more in depth than One Jets Drive imo. From a competitive aspect, it probably elevates the competition with the cameras being there so that's good but overall, probably a detriment with our bubble players getting highlighted and the possible distractions it would cause. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Drums said:

As a fan, how could you not love the idea? It's a bit more in depth than One Jets Drive imo. From a competitive aspect, it probably elevates the competition with the cameras being there so that's good but overall, probably a detriment with our bubble players getting highlighted and the possible distractions it would cause. 

Completely agree. I love the quality of the One Jets Drive stuff but HBO is another level of production quality.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Which team will be in the spotlight this year? Well, thanks to exemptions that have been in place since 2014, we know teams won't be required to appear on the show if they meet any of the following criteria:

1. They have a first-year head coach.
  2. They have secured a playoff berth in the past two seasons.
  3. They have appeared on Hard Knocks within the past 10 years.

In other words, the NFL doesn't want to bother the "serious" teams.  The Jets have already appeared on it.  It should go around to every team in the league before we have to go again.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Drums said:

We've missed the playoffs for 12 straight years.  If the Sacramento Kings make the playoffs this year (and it looks like they're going to), we'll have the longest playoff drought in the 4 major sports.  We don't need any type of additional distractions.  

On 3/20/2023 at 12:40 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I hope the jets do not return to hard knocks. It was great show for sure, but I rather they not do it. Distracting etc. Lets just get to football thsi year. I thihnk it would be a very good show for sure, but we alreayd have our in house hard knocks show and that is good enough for me plus. You know the whole goal of the show will be to make aaron rogers looks stupid. 

These nfl hard knocks guys will not be able to help them selves.

I don't think it's all that distracting any more; it's no different from what they're already doing on 1JD and Flight 2023

22 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

- Quinnen Contract

- OROY + DROY

- Revis & Klecko HoF

- Zach Wilson drama

I'm here for it

lol

See, the most obvious to me is the inevitable OBJ addition. If the Jets do Hard Knocks he'll sign here for the league minimum.

• Upvote 1