Bryce Hall @ FS?

19 hours ago, football guy said:

Us as fans see the S position differently than the Jets do. They want guys who are smart that are in the right place at the right time rather than guys who are gambling ballhawks. I think they feel Whitehead is much more versatile than we see him as, and the primary reason why Joyner played more deep is because he was more limited near the LOS. Their 2 starting safeties play virtually 100% of the snaps when healthy. In many cases they align both guys deep or interchange who plays closer to the LOS vs. who plays deep. Whitehead spent 45.4% of his snaps near the LOS and 55.6% deep (FS). Joyner played 26.7% near the LOS and 73.3% deep. When Joyner went down with injury, Whitehead spent more time deep, but the Jets pretty much used him in the "Joyner" role against Miami- playing 29.2% near the LOS and 70.8% deep. The staff indicated that they were impressed with how he played in that game. 

The schemes are naturally different, but Clark played 53.8% near the LOS vs. 46.2% deep in 2022. My guess is they believe either (1) they can utilize he and Whitehead similar to how they used their safeties in weeks 15-17 (pretty much an even distribution); or (2) they are comfortable with Whitehead at FS for the majority of the time. They'll probably draft a guy to develop/compete with the rest of the group, but I don't think they view it as a need. 

This was what I thought as well. If they viewed it as the "omg our deep safety isn't a 215-pound ballhawk zone CB" then they'd have made an offer to at least one such FA safety by now. They've been (or seemed) content with a pair of veteran $6-7MM starting safeties, their respective designations notwithstanding.

The way to establish a pipeline isn't to keep locking into long-term veterans anyway (unless there's already a hole or the new veteran is considered special e.g. Orlando Brown, Aaron Rodgers). That's best done at positions where the starter is entering the final contract season (both Clark & Whitehead, D.Brown, Becton, etc.) or where the starter has concerns either in play or cost (last year Lawson & A.Davis, Mims the year before that, this year I think CJM & maybe Tomlinson).

Absent acquiring a special veteran, I can't imagine any GM likes to be in the position of being forced to choosing to overbid on a veteran in March or potentially overdrafting a prospect based on a still-present hole after the best FAs have found their homes for the year.

Without respect to which is first, second, etc. if slot-value meets need I see them drafting C, T, DT, S, and LB. (**edit: forget C until maybe a day 3 G/C if they do sign Jones for 2 years**). There may be a surprise if a prospect at another position is just too good to pass on, of course, but they will probably need another center at some point this season, a DT to rotate in, and the rest for purely long-term planning (unless an injury forces them onto the field a lot as rookies). Also - again depending who's slipped to 13 - figure them to trade down enough to recoup as much as they can of your presumed 2nd rounder for Rodgers. Maybe all the way down to NO (#29 + #40) or Jax (#24 + #56); maybe less, to the lower teens or ~20ish where it's just enough to recoup a 3rd rounder & say that's close enough to recouping the pick without losing out on a must-draft tackle or something.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 hours ago, football guy said:

Us as fans see the S position differently than the Jets do. They want guys who are smart that are in the right place at the right time rather than guys who are gambling ballhawks. I think they feel Whitehead is much more versatile than we see him as, and the primary reason why Joyner played more deep is because he was more limited near the LOS. Their 2 starting safeties play virtually 100% of the snaps when healthy. In many cases they align both guys deep or interchange who plays closer to the LOS vs. who plays deep. Whitehead spent 45.4% of his snaps near the LOS and 55.6% deep (FS). Joyner played 26.7% near the LOS and 73.3% deep. When Joyner went down with injury, Whitehead spent more time deep, but the Jets pretty much used him in the "Joyner" role against Miami- playing 29.2% near the LOS and 70.8% deep. The staff indicated that they were impressed with how he played in that game. 

The schemes are naturally different, but Clark played 53.8% near the LOS vs. 46.2% deep in 2022. My guess is they believe either (1) they can utilize he and Whitehead similar to how they used their safeties in weeks 15-17 (pretty much an even distribution); or (2) they are comfortable with Whitehead at FS for the majority of the time. They'll probably draft a guy to develop/compete with the rest of the group, but I don't think they view it as a need. 

Supporting this, the way they spin coverage as well either safety could be in the box or deep depending on the check made for the coverage, so really having interchangeable safeties is a priority over the traditional "in the box or deep center" type of safeties.  

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, football guy said:

53 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Supporting this, the way they spin coverage as well either safety could be in the box or deep depending on the check made for the coverage, so really having interchangeable safeties is a priority over the traditional "in the box or deep center" type of safeties.  

Interesting.  This all makes sense.  I think many of us expect different roles because they are such different players.  Whitehead and Clark are bigger guys that can bang and Joyner is more of a small slot corner that is good against the run.  They may be happier with using Clark and Whitehead interchangeably.   

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Interesting.  This all makes sense.  I think many of us expect different roles because they are such different players.  Whitehead and Clark are bigger guys that can bang and Joyner is more of a small slot corner that is good against the run.  They may be happier with using Clark and Whitehead interchangeably.   

I dont think its the ideal mix, but i do think that they would be satisfied with those two and drafting a guy in the mid rounds to develop behind them.  I'm not sure how they feel about Ashtyn Davis, but he seemed to start making some headway last year in a situational role. Maybe he becomes someone who can take a step this year?  not sure. 

43 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I dont think its the ideal mix, but i do think that they would be satisfied with those two and drafting a guy in the mid rounds to develop behind them.  I'm not sure how they feel about Ashtyn Davis, but he seemed to start making some headway last year in a situational role. Maybe he becomes someone who can take a step this year?  not sure. 

I don't know about Ashtyn Davis.  If pro football reference is to be believed, he only played 13 snaps on D all year and only 2 were in the second half of they year.  That is after 700+ in 2021.  He wasn't hurt cause he was getting 20 special teams snaps a week.  Meanwhile, Tony Adams played 100 snaps over the last 2 games and Will Parks started weeks 14 and 15 and got 25 snaps on D week 17.  They either just don't like Davis or he was more a fit for Gregg Williams playing single high. 

31 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know about Ashtyn Davis.  If pro football reference is to be believed, he only played 13 snaps on D all year and only 2 were in the second half of they year.  That is after 700+ in 2021.  He wasn't hurt cause he was getting 20 special teams snaps a week.  Meanwhile, Tony Adams played 100 snaps over the last 2 games and Will Parks started weeks 14 and 15 and got 25 snaps on D week 17.  They either just don't like Davis or he was more a fit for Gregg Williams playing single high. 

He was a Greg Williams pick so i would err more on the side of it being more of a fit there.  But Davis was praised by Saleh a few times (browns game namely) for his work during practice and how he's getting better.  Again, I dont expect anything from him, but he's on the roster and never mentioned so maybe we could get a surprise?  I wouldnt bet on it though. 

More likely, we see the team draft a Safety at some point in the draft or wait until there are cuts and we add a lower tier young player to develop.