Mel Kipers Mock Draft 3.0

17 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I'm starting to prefer Darnell Wright to Jones (even if Wright is only limited to the right side). 

I think Wright is a really, really solid bet to be a quality RT for a while. Don’t know what the value of that is for this Jets roster, but I think as a rookie I’d trust him at RT more than the top three tackles out at either tackle spot and I’d think in a win now scenario that’s appealing.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, JiF said:

The 3rd Olineman I'm referring to is Kiper mocking Jones to the Jets at 13.  If that was to happen, JD would have used 3 top 15 picks in 4 drafts on OL.  I'm saying that strategy, seems awful for a team w/ some many holes and an incomplete OL.  Not necessarily the selections.  That said, he's had multiple picks in the first a few times, so I guess that makes it a little better but in general, it just doesnt seem like a great use of allocating drat picks.  Especially considering even if they took Jones, the OL still isnt complete.  We're hoping AVT and Becton are healthy, we're hoping Duane Brown doesnt fall of a cliff, we're hoping Tomlinson wasnt a huge mistake, we're hoping they find a C, and we're hoping Max Mitchell is serviceable long term.

It's just an observation based on this mock, not really anything to get invested in deeply...just a hypothetical.  I guess I'm saying, I hope they dont take OL.  In this example, I'd probably favor a few WR's and DL over Jones.  

Douglas does the OL backwards, it’s very odd. Every year he fills the backup roles with cheap veterans so there’s no roster room for developmental prospects, and then when a starter expires he needs to spend big free agent money or a high draft pick to have a day one starter.

Kind of hoped he would’ve learned but even this year with the two fringe starter iOL he brought in, he’s kind of boxed into signing a FA center or drafting a center high. Feel like a short term Jones/McGovern deal, one of those guys to be the primary backup at all three iOL spots, and a draft pick with a little upside and potentially a starter at C or G after whatever C veteran or Tomlinson go gives you an opportunity to have a cheap starter who knows the system for a couple years. Didn’t do it with McGovern, Fant, Van Roten…

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, JiF said:

If JD takes a T, that would be 3 OL in the top 15 he's selected in 4 drafts and yet he'd still have questions and holes on the OL.

Idk, that's probably bad or something.

Becton got hurt, but year one was pretty good?

AVT is pretty solid, no?  He also got hurt.

Mitchell was coming on, before blood clots, no?

I have no problem with another high OL pick, my concern however, would be to move a LT to RT.  It is different.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

There's a pretty good article over at Jet X Factor that discusses this very thing.  Becton and AVT are + players when they are on the field.  Tomlinson was bad but now has a new OC/line coach and (hopefully) an experienced QB to block for.  Honestly, I'd be quite surprised if JD goes OL again in round 1.  

I think if we select a Tackle, it is basically saying Becton isn't ready, but I am sure they will know one way or another.

I'd expect them to roll Becton / Tomlinson / C in the Draft or FA / AVT / Mitchell

Brown as BU LT and Becton to RT if Mitchell goes down.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Barton said:

If we don’t pick up another receiver in free agency, the jets should consider one at 13.   

Depending on how the board falls yes.  God forbid Garrett Wilson were to go down.  That WR room would not be looking to good.  Changes the entire offense.  

2 hours ago, JETS SB said:

One thing Aaron Rodgers brings that is very underrated is his release time which I believe is 2nd behind Brady for starting QBs in the NFL. He has a tendency to make his offensive lines look so much better than they really are. He will do the same here. 

I agree he has a quick release and that has helped him stay relatively healthy (especially in the earlier part of his career). But for the last couple of years he has been hurt every season, fortunately never season ending injuries. Generally speaking I think when your pushing 40 you can be injured easier and your injuries tend to last longer.

Doing whatever we can through the draft or a trade to protect whoever our QB is a good thing. But with a QB who will be 40 yrs old next season if we don’t address this now during this offseason we are just tempting fate once the season starts.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetpain said:

Depending on how the board falls yes.  God forbid Garrett Wilson were to go down.  That WR room would not be looking to good.  Changes the entire offense.  

Yep. Right now its Garrett and a bunch of #4 receivers. And 2 tight ends who dont get separation.

Not good.

9 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

13. New York Jets

Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia

Will the Jets actually keep this pick? They're going to have to give up something to get quarterback Aaron Rodgers, and it might require a first-round selection. For now, they haven't addressed the tackle position this offseason, and there are questions there. Mekhi Becton will return, but he has played just one game over the past two seasons. Duane Brown will be back, but he turns 38 in August. Max Mitchell started five games at right tackle last season, but he gave up three sacks and was just OK as a run-blocker. General manager Joe Douglas should keep investing in the position.

Jones started 19 games on the left side for the Bulldogs, and he didn't allow a single sack last season. He's still growing at the position, but he has major upside. He could compete with Mitchell at right tackle. Darnell Wright (Tennessee) and Anton Harrison (Oklahoma) are other tackles to watch.

I vote for non project OT someone that is expected to be able to start right off the bat. Someone good size attributes etc. Nothing risky . If that is this dude fine. Or whomever is the top ranked blockers for my new QB hall of famer Aaron rogers

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Yep. Right now its Garrett and a bunch of #4 receivers. And 2 tight ends who dont get separation.

Not good.

Laxard should be a great number 2 wide out. I think he will thrive this year especially with him being on all packages thanks to his blocking skills. Look for him to be the first legit number 2 wide out since decker.

But if Wilson goes down good thing we have breece hall.

Te do suck. But again one thing we are forgetting that our guys actually were open all the time Zach just didn't see em or make right throw. I have high hopes for this year's offense 

8 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Laxard should be a great number 2 wide out. I think he will thrive this year especially with him being on all packages thanks to his blocking skills. Look for him to be the first legit number 2 wide out since decker.

But if Wilson goes down good thing we have breece hall.

Te do suck. But again one thing we are forgetting that our guys actually were open all the time Zach just didn't see em or make right throw. I have high hopes for this year's offense 

Brah, c’mon. Lazard has never sniffed being a legit #2 in his career. He’s a great role player though. Gives the jets a big body red zone WR. 

• Upvote 1

The interesting thing I see that very well happening is us moving back from 13 to recoup the 2nd we likely trade to GB.

I think trading back is easier said than done. Their has to be that other team interested. So to just pick a spot you want to trade back to, isn't realistic. But let's say we trade back to the early 20s and get that teams 2nd.

Question than is do we draft a OT with that 1st and try and move up for JMS? Or draft JMS in the 1st and trade up for an OT?

Really I'd be beyond happy with either situation.

To summarize what I said in the Jeremiah thread, I am expecting to be surprised. 

JD has been "team building" for three drafts now, with limited results before 2022.   He needs to use the draft to fill holes and add impact players at positions of need.  

Adding another OT makes alot of sense for the long term, but the Jets are not playing for the long term in 2023.  Potentially trading down and using the premium picks to fill gaping holes at C, FS, LB, would not surprise me.  

7 hours ago, Barton said:

Brah, c’mon. Lazard has never sniffed being a legit #2 in his career. He’s a great role player though. Gives the jets a big body red zone WR. 

Agreed with your almost completely, I originally thought exactly like you but think about it, Lazard was thrown into the 1 WR role that he could not do. He wont be asked to do that here. I think he has shown progress and in our system and with that contract the Jets plan on making him number 2. He should be able to capitalize on it. He wont be drawing double coverage or the number 1 CB like he was in Green Bay, All he will be asked to do is be that big target and and catch every now and then. What more do you need for a WR2?

What stat line is WR2? 900 plus 8 TD's? I think that is bar minimum for him with Rogers and our def playing around him. 

We are going to have alot more drives with Rogers, many starting with good field position. We will finally be able to take advantage of our def and not tiring them our in the first half. 

We will be strong running team again and it will provide plenty of opportunity. I think Lazard has a shot at plus 8 and 800 this year. I think Garret is going to have alot of opportunity and breece hall if he is really healthy.

Lazard will be blocking alot and probably never come off the field. With def really concentrating on WR1 and RB1, good ol' Lazard is gong to very attractive target that our QB likes alot and our GM likes alot. 

We finally have a big body WR that should be healthy.