RIP Willis Reed

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

When Reed hit those first two shots, that game was over.  Unbelievably exciting moment. And all situations where it is unclear if an athlete will play in a game and then decides or is cleared to play just before the beginning of the game are compared (unfavorably) to that seminal moment with Reed.  Just a magical season with a team playing a brand of basketball that you just don't see anymore.  Fantastic unselfish cerebral team basketball.  

He was the reason so many of us started shooting left-handed jump shots and hookshots

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Lith said:

So sad.  I remember this as if it was yesterday.  RIP Willis.

The Garden was rocking.   Reed was the glue and inspiration.  Frazier went off that night.  He was insanely good in that game. 36 points 19 assists.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

He was having dinner a few tables away when I was 10. My Dad encouraged me to go get their autograph. I couldn’t believe the size of him. My hand seemed like a baby’s compared to his  Very patient and signed a napkin for me. No idea what happened to that napkin.

Gentleman, Leader and Warrior!
RIP #19

• Upvote 4

The emotional affect he had on his teammates and fans walking out of the tunnel in that playoff game was immeasurable. NY sports was blessed with a trifecta of sports legends in Namath, Seaver and Reed, can’t recall any city having that kind of dominance in one year. Might be byes but that was quite a year to be a NY sports fan.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

The emotional affect he had on his teammates and fans walking out of the tunnel in that playoff game was immeasurable. NY sports was blessed with a trifecta of sports legends in Namath, Seaver and Reed, can’t recall any city having that kind of dominance in one year. Might be byes but that was quite a year to be a NY sports fan.

It was incredible.   You don’t realize in the moment that it’s coming to an end.   It was pure joy being young and enjoying ball by the teams you lived and died with every day.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Remembering how basketball was played in the 60’s and 70’s makes me shut the tv off when watching these games in this era. And Reed and the Knicks were extraordinarily spectacular.  Real basketball. Not this nonsense that goes on now. The 3 point play ruined this game. No defense, just shoot shoot shoot. Reed’s game was multi-faceted. He could force the center out, post, rebound, defend, pass and was just an incredible inspiration. Willis you will be missed. 

You forgot all the walking, traveling, double dribble etc that happens today. It's such bullsit.   It looks more like playground ball now. I swear, not kidding, I wonder who goes to the games. In my social circle there is 1 person who goes to NBA games.  

• Upvote 3