If Jalen Carter falls to 13

HawkeyeJet

If Jalen Carter falls to 13?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you draft him?

• Yes
    • No

29 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't think there's any chance that happens but if it does I think you have to take him.

JC and QW are interior foundations of a team that offenses just can't block.

Do not draft for me. Too many flags.  He wasn’t that productive at George either. Not the right fit for the Jets.

• Upvote 1

No. I mean, depends on who is available. But almost certainly no. 

He's a great talent but comes with some red flags. 

There WILL be other premier talents at other premium positions at 13. Specifically OT and Edge. 

The 'need' is not there. As much as some fans will say that DT is a major need because we lost Rankins and some depth in Shep, its just not a major need. We have QW and a rotational DT to play next to him can be found relatively cheaply in FA or later on in the draft. You don't 'need' to use a 1st round pick on a second DT when you primarily play wide 9/Nickel with heavy rotation. 

There are a number of prospect who will most likely be available at 13 that I would rather draft that Carter.   

• Upvote 2

Interesting tidbit on Carter. I have the Falcons in our JN draft so I’ve started my deep dive into all things Atlanta.Was reading a draft piece yesterday on the pre draft process by a guy who has covered them forever and has long, deep placed contacts in the organization. He said he has it on absolute certainty that if he fell to # 8 that the Falcons WILL not take him. Many have speculated that they would be a landing spot for him. DJ did his mock last night and said he thinks the lowest he would fall would be Eagles@10.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Interesting tidbit on Carter. I have the Falcons in our JN draft so I’ve started my deep dive into all things Atlanta.Was reading a draft piece yesterday on the pre draft process by a guy who has covered them forever and has long, deep placed contacts in the organization. He said he has it on absolute certainty that if he fell to # 8 that the Falcons WILL not take him. Many have speculated that they would be a landing spot for him. DJ did his mock last night and said he thinks the lowest he would fall would be Eagles@10.

Interior linemen who didn’t produce high sack totals/TFL’s in college rarely pan out or at least turn out to be worth their first round slot. Add on the red flags with Carter, he’s a huge do not draft for me. I honestly don’t get the hype. Similar to the Auburn kid a few years ago.

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Interior linemen who didn’t produce high sack totals/TFL’s in college rarely pan out or at least turn out to be worth their first round slot. Add on the red flags with Carter, he’s a huge do not draft for me. I honestly don’t get the hype. Similar to the Auburn kid a few years ago.

Derek Brown?

Depends, really.

If the Top 2-3 OT’s are off the board, then I’m not against it.

But with Brown being 38 and most likely playing his last season, Becton being a total question mark and Mitchell having the blood clot issue, I think you have to take a dude like Broderick Jones if available.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

You have to get sacks or TFL’s to have an impact in the league. Who’s the last under 10 sack guy to become a good interior rusher in the league?

Question… of all the Draft sites out there that rate players etc, what are your top 2 go to sites that you use?

6 hours ago, PepPep said:

No. I mean, depends on who is available. But almost certainly no. 

He's a great talent but comes with some red flags. 

There WILL be other premier talents at other premium positions at 13. Specifically OT and Edge. 

The 'need' is not there. As much as some fans will say that DT is a major need because we lost Rankins and some depth in Shep, its just not a major need. We have QW and a rotational DT to play next to him can be found relatively cheaply in FA or later on in the draft. You don't 'need' to use a 1st round pick on a second DT when you primarily play wide 9/Nickel with heavy rotation. 

There are a number of prospect who will most likely be available at 13 that I would rather draft that Carter.   

Depends how you define premier talent at premium positions. There are two guys in Carter’s tier (Anderson being the other) in what’s considered to be a relatively weak draft at the top. The top of this draft is why most folks are okay dropping into the 20’s because, in addition to recouping theoretical Rodgers capital, several of the guys we talk about around 13 could slip down to the 20’s.

That being the case, I’d argue that there almost certainly won’t be another premier talent at a premium position at 13. Which doesn’t mean you have to take Carter, if he falls there’s a reason and homework needs to be done. But he’d be the most well regarded player on the board by a mile if he makes it to 13, that’s why it’s an interesting question.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, derp said:

Depends how you define premier talent at premium positions. There are two guys in Carter’s tier (Anderson being the other) in what’s considered to be a relatively weak draft at the top. The top of this draft is why most folks are okay dropping into the 20’s because, in addition to recouping theoretical Rodgers capital, several of the guys we talk about around 13 could slip down to the 20’s.

That being the case, I’d argue that there almost certainly won’t be another premier talent at a premium position at 13. Which doesn’t mean you have to take Carter, if he falls there’s a reason and homework needs to be done. But he’d be the most well regarded player on the board by a mile if he makes it to 13, that’s why it’s an interesting question.

Sure. Its an interestiong question. But IMO (assuming Carter slips to 13), you will have the top 4 QBs go ahead of the Jets. You will have Anderson, and most likely Tyree Wilson and Myles Murphy off the board. One, if not two O-linemen will be gone. Probably Skoronski and Paris Johnson. At least two CBs, maybe three- Gonzalez, Porter, Witherspoon. And probably a WR. A team will probably 'reach' for a top WR, even though this is considered a weak WR class at the top. Lets say Addison, Smith-Njigba or Johnston. 

So, who are the Jets left with? What 'premier talents'? Well...maybe not in the league that Carter is in. But guys like Van Ness, Broderick Jones, Nolan Smith, one of the top WRs (if Addison is gone, then Johnston or Smith-Njigba), Bijon Robinson (potentially the best player in the draft- IMHO), and Brian Branch (who may not play a 'premium' position but is certainly a premier talent, IMO). A lot of these guys don't have the red flags Carter seems to have. Some address bigger needs. And yes, some fill more premium positions like Edge, LT and WR. 

JMHO. 

Just Saying Come On GIF by A Little Late With Lilly Singh  

34 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Sure. Its an interestiong question. But IMO (assuming Carter slips to 13), you will have the top 4 QBs go ahead of the Jets. You will have Anderson, and most likely Tyree Wilson and Myles Murphy off the board. One, if not two O-linemen will be gone. Probably Skoronski and Paris Johnson. At least two CBs, maybe three- Gonzalez, Porter, Witherspoon. And probably a WR. A team will probably 'reach' for a top WR, even though this is considered a weak WR class at the top. Lets say Addison, Smith-Njigba or Johnston. 

So, who are the Jets left with? What 'premier talents'? Well...maybe not in the league that Carter is in. But guys like Van Ness, Broderick Jones, Nolan Smith, one of the top WRs (if Addison is gone, then Johnston or Smith-Njigba), Bijon Robinson (potentially the best player in the draft- IMHO), and Brian Branch (who may not play a 'premium' position but is certainly a premier talent, IMO). A lot of these guys don't have the red flags Carter seems to have. Some address bigger needs. And yes, some fill more premium positions like Edge, LT and WR. 

JMHO. 

Just Saying Come On GIF by A Little Late With Lilly Singh  

I appreciate that perspective, but I think in a normal year everyone you listed could get drafted in the 20’s and nobody would blink. Some of those guys will get drafted in the 20’s this year and nobody would blink. They’re not in Carter’s league, they’re just first round prospects. Jones may not be ready to play day one, Van Ness wasn’t a starter at Iowa and didn’t produce much he’s just an upside play, Robinson and Branch play non premium positions and Branch didn’t even test well, Smith had a really rough injury history and didn’t produce so he’s an upside play too, and it’s very feasible none of the receivers go in the top 20.

It’s a weak class in the range the Jets are picking. Again, there are first round prospects at premium positions, but they’re not premier talents.

• Upvote 1

Some pretty damning stuff on Carter here:

Jalen Carter, Georgia (6-3, 314): Third-year junior, one-year starter. “What makes him unique is the position,” said one scout. “Everybody wants to find that dominant 3-technique. When he wants to, no one can block this guy, either in the run or the pass. It’s just, is he going to do it all the time? He’s a difference-maker.” 

Four personnel men said Carter was a far better prospect than former teammate Devonte Wyatt, another 3-technique and the 28th pick by Green Bay a year ago. ”He’s better, but he's like that,” a second scout said. “Doesn’t play hard like Wyatt. That dude gave it his all. Carter’s motor runs hot and cold. He’s disruptive, but not overly productive. He’s a worrier for me. A lot of these Georgia dudes aren’t as good individually as they were as a whole. Travon Walker. They all were overrated because of how dominant that D was.” Was a 5-star recruit from Warren Sapp’s hometown of Apopka, Fla. “Best player in the draft but he’s lazy,” a third scout said. “They put him on the treadmill damn near every day. He doesn’t love football, doesn’t love the weight room. Horrible family background. Not a leader. He’s phenomenally talented. He’s going to run like a deer. He’s the epitome of star or bust.” Regarded by a fourth scout as a much better prospect than Walker, the top pick in 2022. “He’s one of the rare players down through the years that just totally dominated,” he said. “He doesn’t have big-time stats because he only played half the time. He can rush the passer. He’s strong. He takes on two blockers and just tosses them aside.” Arms were 33 ½ inches, hands were 10 ¼ inches.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Some pretty damning stuff on Carter here:

Jalen Carter, Georgia (6-3, 314): Third-year junior, one-year starter. “What makes him unique is the position,” said one scout. “Everybody wants to find that dominant 3-technique. When he wants to, no one can block this guy, either in the run or the pass. It’s just, is he going to do it all the time? He’s a difference-maker.” 

Four personnel men said Carter was a far better prospect than former teammate Devonte Wyatt, another 3-technique and the 28th pick by Green Bay a year ago. ”He’s better, but he's like that,” a second scout said. “Doesn’t play hard like Wyatt. That dude gave it his all. Carter’s motor runs hot and cold. He’s disruptive, but not overly productive. He’s a worrier for me. A lot of these Georgia dudes aren’t as good individually as they were as a whole. Travon Walker. They all were overrated because of how dominant that D was.” Was a 5-star recruit from Warren Sapp’s hometown of Apopka, Fla. “Best player in the draft but he’s lazy,” a third scout said. “They put him on the treadmill damn near every day. He doesn’t love football, doesn’t love the weight room. Horrible family background. Not a leader. He’s phenomenally talented. He’s going to run like a deer. He’s the epitome of star or bust.” Regarded by a fourth scout as a much better prospect than Walker, the top pick in 2022. “He’s one of the rare players down through the years that just totally dominated,” he said. “He doesn’t have big-time stats because he only played half the time. He can rush the passer. He’s strong. He takes on two blockers and just tosses them aside.” Arms were 33 ½ inches, hands were 10 ¼ inches.

I'm calling BS on these "he's lazy takes". 

1. He was PFF's highest-graded power 5 defender. You achieve that by taking a lot of downs off. 

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/football/georgia-footballs-jalen-carter-named-pffs-highest-graded-power-five-defender

2. Watch the tape. He's not going to win every rep (who does), but he's all over the field. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/22/2023 at 9:35 AM, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't think there's any chance that happens but if it does I think you have to take him.

JC and QW are interior foundations of a team that offenses just can't block.

Happened in 2 mock drafts on 2 diff websites (both premium versions)... I don't think he drops either ... but if he does and there's multiple tackles on board.... I say we either draft him or trade back 

The interesting thing for the Jets with Carter is the way he would impact the defense. You could play him behind quinnen as the rotational player to avoid too much of a drop off, or you could line him up next to Q on obvious passing Downs and ensure that one of them was going up against a single blocker.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Jalen Carter won't fall out of the top 10 

But if he does, they have to swoop

Dt is a major need either they have to bump JFM inside or get a high draft pick in there 

My prediction when this is all over, people will wonder how calijah kansey fell out of the top 5. The guy runs a 4.6 for Christ's sake .Aaron Donald part 2