Jets Sign Mecole Hardman

10 hours ago, BCJet said:

Im having a hard time understanding why people think Hardman is a good returner.  Can someone fill in what im missing here (btw Im fine with the signing and doubt it will be a huge deal one way or the other).

He has returned 18 total punts the last 2 years and 39 kickoffs all with 0 TDs.  He has one career punt return TD and 1 kickoff.   Berrios had 36 punt returns the past 2 seasons and 54 kick returns - so was Hardman not a full time returner (yes he was hurt last year).

I'm not going to pretend even slightly that I actually recall Hardman's probowl season as a returner, but teams would kick away from him, apparently.

https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/news/chiefs-travis-kelce-mecole-hardman-lead-nfl-pro-bowl-voting

Hardman ranks fourth in the AFC with 437 kick return yards and third in the conference with an average of 23 yards per kick return. His 14.8-yard average on punt returns is the highest in the league for any player with at least eight returns.

He is one of three rookies leading in the voting at their positions along with San Francisco defensive end Nick Bosa and New England punter Jake Bailey. Hardman says it's fun hearing his name among the top candidates.

“I've still got some more games left,” Hardman said. “Hopefully I can keep that going. It would be nice to go to my first Pro Bowl, but obviously there are bigger goals that we're trying to accomplish right now.”

Hardman clearly has caught the attention of other teams without breaking a big return yet. His longest punt return is 36 yards and his longest kick return is 34 yards. But arguably the best compliment teams have paid Hardman is to kick away from him as much as possible.

“I guess they respect what I've got going on back there, even though I haven't put on the performance that I wanted to put on,” Hardman said. “I don't have any touchdowns yet. I think they fear me, I think they know what I can do.”

I don't expect more than a couple hundred yards or so on offense, unless a starter misses significant time.

Those return #s were from a few yrs back but that's not an issue unless they really think he's lost a step or two already. Of course starting out at 4.2 speed he could lose a step and still be a deadly sprinter, lol.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, C Mart said:

Not a fan of stats like this.

Worth noting if he touches the ball 8 times a game. But when it's 3.... the stats doesn't hold up. I'll take a guy getting the ball 8 times a game at 6.0yac rather than a guy getting 3 touches at 8.3yac

• Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Have to admit ... embarrassingly .... i don't know anything at all about this guy.

Neither did anyone else until the Jets signed. He’s a nobody in terms of the NFL. 

Oh wait he had a good 40 so he’s going to all of a sudden become a superstar without Mahomes. 

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Neither did anyone else until the Jets signed. He’s a nobody in terms of the NFL. 

Oh wait he had a good 40 so he’s going to all of a sudden become a superstar without Mahomes. 

no one is saying he's a superstar or will become one. wtf. he's a role player with elite speed that defenses will have to account for when he's on the field.

and yes, some of us had heard of him because we watch games other than the Jets.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

no one is saying he's a superstar or will become one. wtf

and yes, some of us had heard of him because we watch games other than the Jets.

It’s confusing. I thought he was basically Berrios replacement because now is the time this team doesn’t have a player like Braxton Berrios? 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Apologies if someone already posted thisScreenshot_20230323_105946.jpeg

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

One guy was catching passes from literally the best quarterback in the league. While the other was literally catching passes from the worst quarterback in the league. While the stats show similar production, Hardman was catching mostly accurate balls and was in a prolific offense that throws the ball a ton. Elijah Moore was playing in games where there may only be 12 to 15 completions. Hardman is not a very good route runner but is extremely athletic. Since Rogers loves to throw screens and at the line of scrimmage, he’ll be utilized on those plays and in the return game. Hardman isn’t a moore replacement. 

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

He never gets any catches so it’s meaningless 

4.22 40 speed is NEVER meaningless Mick, just watch the tapes bro. he is a threat to score every time he touches the football. He's going to be a big improvement over Berrios on both slot pass catches, WR sweeps not to mention his punt and kickoff returning skills

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, extmenace said:

One guy was catching passes from literally the best quarterback in the league. While the other was literally catching passes from the worst quarterback in the league. While the stats show similar production, Hardman was catching mostly accurate balls and was in a prolific offense that throws the ball a ton. Elijah Moore was playing in games where there may only be 12 to 15 completions. Hardman is not a very good route runner but is extremely athletic. Since Rogers loves to throw screens and at the line of scrimmage, he’ll be utilized on those plays and in the return game. Hardman isn’t a moore replacement. 

With Kelsey and hill there, what was hardman realistically going to do?  He was drafted as a returner and gimmick guy to complement their stars and that’s it. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Yet Elijah Moore had way more targets. That offense was Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce and some other guys. Last year it was Kelce and some other guys. 

The catch rate difference doesn’t match the accuracy difference.

I think we won’t miss Elijah Moore. Receiving wise it’s a wash for me plus Hardman is a great returner. 

This is a win.

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35918969/source-jets-reach-1-year-deal-wr-mecole-hardman

"Moore was the Jets' primary slot receiver, a position at which Hardman excelled for the Chiefs. In fact, 10 of Hardman's 16 receiving touchdowns came out of the slot, according to ESPN Stats & Information research."

I had no idea he had such heavy usage from the slot in KC.  Maybe I am putting too much weight on what I saw of him at Georgia when he was played primarily outside.  I still think of him as more of a bubble screen / gadget player who can also threaten a defense deep with his speed.  Hardman may be more of a big play guy, but I think Moore has the potential to be a more complete receiver.  But I am willing to be proven wrong again.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

I had no idea he had such heavy usage from the slot in KC.  Maybe I am putting too much weight on what I saw of him at Georgia when he was played primarily outside.  I still think of him as more of a bubble screen / gadget player who can also threaten a defense deep with his speed.  Hardman may be more of a big play guy, but I think Moore has the potential to be a more complete receiver.  But I am willing to be proven wrong again.

He wasn't in the slot a lot, but scored a lot of TDs from there. He's exactly as you described. Don't like him as a top 3 WR, but as a gadget, gamebreaker type of weapon, he'd be a great fit

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

KC was counting on this guy to be another Hill. I guess that didn't  quite workout. 

No, it didn't work out as planned for KC.  But we are just asking him to be an upgrade from Berrios, if he proves to be a more complete WR that is an added bonus.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

He wasn't in the slot a lot, but scored a lot of TDs from there. He's exactly as you described. Don't like him as a top 3 WR, but as a gadget, gamebreaker type of weapon, he'd be a great fit

Agreed.  We still have a need for a top 3 WR (assuming Davis is gone one way or another berfore the season starts), but there is definitely a role for a guy like Hardman.  He needs manufactured touches but he should be able to make some plays with the ball in his hands: PR, KR, Jet sweep/reverse, bubble screens, occasional deep shot, maybe even line him up in the backfield on occasion.  And on a one year deal worth a max of $6.5M, we are not paying him to be a top 3 WR.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

No, it didn't work out as planned for KC.  But we are just asking him to be an upgrade from Berrios, if he proves to be a more complete WR that is an added bonus.

With Lazard as an excellent blocking WR, I can see the Jet Sweep being used much more effectively this season. Berrios was not a factor last year as much as he was the previous year. Hardman can break one off at any time. The other play that has me excited is the quick hit pass behind LOS when lined up in 3 WR stack formation… Mims, Lazard & Hardman being the ball carrier. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think Moore has the potential to be a more complete receiver as well, but if either of them was going to be, at best, a 3rd or 4th option in the passing game, Hardman's special teams value is an equalizer. 

• Upvote 2

I'll just support Hardman since he is now with us.  Who cares when you compare him to Elijah.  Its from here on out, at least next year.  Don't get the bitching so much about a move no one knows how he will perform here.  If he sucks, then we bitch, but why fight about it now.  In JD we trust!!!

10 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I think Moore has the potential to be a more complete receiver as well, but if either of them was going to be, at best, a 3rd or 4th option in the passing game, Hardman's special teams value is an equalizer. 

That’s the thing.  I think the jets realized moore’s limitations given his lack of size, and also, no ST contribution.  So given he was never going to be anything better than a decent slot guy on the jets, his upside on the jets was definitely capped.  No team is running an offense through a 5’8” slot guy.

• Upvote 2

The main idea here obviously was the 2nd round pick for Moore that is going to be offered to GB. Hardman is a backfill replacement that also returns kicks. Hackett said this when Denver hired him 

“We want to be able to move people all over the field, whether it’s motions, shifts, those little jet sweep fly things that everybody sees,” Hackett detailed. “There are so many different ways that we can do that.”

I mean how can you knock this. It was a pretty sweet swap

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Have to admit ... embarrassingly .... i don't know anything at all about this guy.

Me neither. I thought “Mecole” was one of those board- made- up derogatory names, like Mevis. 

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

4.22 40 speed is NEVER meaningless Mick, just watch the tapes bro. he is a threat to score every time he touches the football. He's going to be a big improvement over Berrios on both slot pass catches, WR sweeps not to mention his punt and kickoff returning skills

What exactly has he done? That makes him so wonderful? Most of his games have been abysmal.