What is the Infatuation Many on this Board have with OBJ????????

As a number 1, no that’s not realistic to expect him to be a focal point of the offense. As a piece of the puzzle, a red zone threat, and a guy with some major upside, he has value. Would I be thrilled if he signed him to a multi year deal at 20 mill per? He’ll no. A 1 year prove it deal in the 8 mill range? it’s worth the risk. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1

Just now, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

He hasn't been high reward in 6 freaking years. Why will he be high reward now?  Explain.

This is a crock of sh*t. Before he got hurt in the Super Bowl, he was the best player on the field. On a one-year deal and a piece of the puzzle it fine. 

• Upvote 1

Elite talent when healthy.   Paired with Wilson and Lazard with Rodgers at QB it puts enormous pressure on NFL defenses.  He’s not a kid anymore which might be a huge plus.  

Definetly worth a hard look and full assessment including his maturity and desire to fit in.    It’s what GMs get paid for.

• Upvote 2

Upside - 3 Pro Bowls, 57 TDS, top 10 WR when healthy. Was MVP of the first half of 2022 Super Bowl before he got hurt. Rodgers will have another huge weapon

Downside - injury history, age, attitude 

I think if we sign him for 8-10 million for one prove it year, it’s better than Corey Davis, who is making the same money. Other than that, I might be happier drafting a WR. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Better than anyone based on what exactly?  Your memory of him in 2017?  

So, who'e better than him?

Based on him as a WR.  Just because he was hurt doesn't mean he got bad.  He's a professional WR and better than Lazard, Hardman etc.

• WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

3 minutes ago, static14 said:

OBJ is still really talented, but the trading of Moore (for most likely attitude reasons) kinda means OBJ doesn't really fit the type of player JD is looking for in the locker room. 

Terrell Owens and OchoCinco are still really talented, too.

Doesn't mean I'd want them on the '23 Jets.

The fact they are even willing to look into him at all means all of JD's and Saleh's incessant talk about "culture" was just presser fodder t-shirt mumbo jumbo.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JETS SB said:

Upside - 3 Pro Bowls, 57 TDS, top 10 WR when healthy. Was MVP of the first half of 2022 Super Bowl before he got hurt. Rodgers will have another huge weapon

Downside - injury history, age, attitude 

I think if we sign him for 8-10 million for one prove it year, it’s better than Corey Davis, who is making the same money. Other than that, I might be happier drafting a WR. 

You're going back to 2014-16 for the upside.  That's when he made those Pro Bowls.  He had 35 TDs from 2014-16.  He's had 8 total in the past three seasons.  Corey Davis blows OBJ away if you compare the past 4 seasons. Why not just keep him? From 2017 it's been all downside.  You all are signing a name. Might as well see what Randy Moss is doing.  He's probably healthier.  

• More Ugh 1

3 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

You in the Moore gets traded thread: “Elijah Moore was a malcontent, Prima Donna and a locker room cancer. I’m glad we dumped him.”

You in this thread:  “Let’s get OBJ!!!”

I am pretty sure, Elijah Moore sucking ass, is why I liked the trade. Both guys are divas, along with most of the WRs in the NFL. I said 1 year at a decent amount was a low risk, high reward situation. Elijah Moore has no upside other than the 2nd round pick we got for him, to trade for Aaron Rodgers.  

6 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

I am pretty sure, Elijah Moore sucking ass, is why I liked the trade. Both guys are divas, along with most of the WRs in the NFL. I said 1 year at a decent amount was a low risk, high reward situation. Elijah Moore has no upside other than the 2nd round pick we got for him, to trade for Aaron Rodgers.  

Saying Elijah Moore, at 22 years old has no upside is mind boggling.

Forget the fact that he’s got two years left on a dirt cheap contract. Let’s see what Moore’s numbers in Cleveland look like compared to OBJ’s wherever he plays in ‘23.

• Upvote 3

The idea of OBJ I wasn’t high on for us to start out the off-season. Mainly bc I figured we’d for sure not have Davis on this team anymore, and I wanted a big bodied WR for us. At that stage I thought we’d still have Moore obviously as well. So a starting WR group of GW, OBJ and Moore is a small group. So I wasn’t fond that.

We then signed Lazard who fits that big bodied role that we’d have vacant with Davis leaving. And I really liked that move. Not a for sure #2. But has what we needed and could only be a great help in the locker room and helping get the guys on the same page as AR. So once we got Lazard it seems there was no spot for OBJ. Obviously we want GW to be the main guy. Lazard isn’t getting 11mill per to not start. And we had potential untapped in Moore. OBJ isn’t exactly a guy that is easy going. So if he’s not getting his touches, you’re gonna hear about it. Especially on likely an incentive deal. So it just seemed to not fit.

Then today we sign Hardman. Speedy gadget type guy that has ST value. Which we need. And is a nice 4th or 5th option. I know he can earn up to 6.5… but I do wonder what his base is. I imagine it’s around 4ish. So that puts us at about even in the cap department if we move on from Davis and we cut Berrios and let Smith walk. With signing Lazard and Hardman about equal to that money wise. So a nice trade off.

Then we trade Moore. Moore the player I like and we big time misused as well as never gave him QB play. But fact is is this was a guy that is a me 1st guy. Requested a trade in the middle of us playing our best ball in years. So winning doesn’t matter to him. He matters to him. Doesn’t really fit with what we want to do in the locker room. Our return wasn’t good for him. And I imagine those antics didn’t help in negotiations. So getting what is in essence an early 3rd in value for young WR talent. Isn’t good IMO. So not exactly a fan of the value we got in this.

But this story I feel isn’t over. I think we are bringing in another guy. A proven guy. Not sure if that’s OBJ. But it very well could be. So OBJ the player fits now with us having Lazard with size and a spot for OBJ, where he didn’t really with Moore. Imagine how that would’ve been 2 me 1st guys fighting at the same spot for touches… that would’ve been a nightmare.

But now with Moore gone… it does open that spot for an OBJ move. Deal would have to be mostly incentives with his injury history. But that is a win now type move that is risky, but with Hardman and Mims as depth we can take on. I do also feel that with OBJs relationship with AR that he wouldn’t complain about touches and such. Too much respect there.

So he could be a nice fit potentially for rather cheap and doesn’t cost us defat capital.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Green Ghost said:

Let’s see what Moore’s numbers in Cleveland look like compared to OBJ’s wherever he plays in ‘23.

Yup Moore could be better. But no one is getting a 2nd in a swap for OBJ and a 3rd in a trade. He is out there trying out for teams for nothing other than a contract. Comparing apples and oranges. 

Everyone totally hated the idea of getting this guy a few years back before he was less out there and not injured.  I was in favor of going after him then. 

Now everyone and their dog wants him because Rodgers wants him.

Just wait till we turn Randall Cobb into a terrific vet leader that gives us terrific depth.

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I posted this in another thread, but the Moore trade has led to a bunch of speculation about signing OBJ and I am just not seeing it.  OBJ has missed 60 of the last 102 games since 2017.  He has not even been on the field for 60% of games in the past 6 (!) seasons.  On those rare occasions when he has been healthy, he just has not produced in years.  He has two games over 80 yards and one game with 6 or more receptions since 2019.  Both of those stats are putrid.    So he had a good half in the Super Bowl in 2022 - 2 catches for 52 yards and a TD.  Whoop De Damn Do!  You don't judge a player by 26 minutes of football when you have a six year period of time for evaluation.  Any player can look good in a 26 minute sample size. And that 26 minutes becomes virtually irrelevant after an ACL injury (particularly considering his age).  30 year-old receivers coming off a 2nd ACL injury are not a good investment, no matter what the contract is.   

Now he is 30 and coming off another ACL injury and Jets fans want to give him money and a roster spot?  Seriously?  Why?  He is completely done.  Finished. He's old, he's injured,  he is a chronic complainer/locker room cancer, and he's a massive head case.  Talk about throwing money and a roster spot away. Let someone else make this colossal mistake.  I'd rather have almost anybody else.  Good GMs pay for future rather than past performance.  OBJ is all past performance and his future is crap.  I'd be surprised if he plays more than 5-6 games this season and more than 10-15 games for the rest of his career.  People here complain about JD drafting Becton, but Becton had no track record of injuries.  OBJ is a walking injury at this point, and that is if he doesn't wreck the locker room before he gets injured because he's not getting the ball.  All he has is a "name" and he hasn't lived up to that name in a very very long time.  He has nothing else going for him at this point.  Give me anybody else to fill the 4-5 WR spot.  Jets fans should want no part of this has-been.  Hopefully JD is much smarter than that and stays away from him. There is nothing positive about him other than a memory of how he played from 2014-16  and two catches in the 2022 SB.  

He would be the second best WR on our team is he signed today.

• Upvote 1

Whoever gets odell is likely going to get the best version of him. Say what you want but he’s playing next year knowing that he must perform or the money is done. Whoever gets him will have a very motivated player with upside. I’m pretty indifferent on him. If it happens, cool, if not that’s ok too but would It shock anyone if he was a 1000 yard WR if he stayed healthy?

• Upvote 1

He started his career at a historical pace putting up over 4000 yards in his first 3 seasons. He was then put in a bad spot in Cleveland and obviously he’s a bit of a knucklehead (not on AB level tho). He’s also a bit long in the tooth at age 30 and coming off 2 ACL surgery. However, with all that being said he’s still an elite talent and pairing him with Rodgers is definitely worth the risk. We can fit him in with our cap, give him like 2 years $16m. WR corps of GW, Lazard, OBJ, Hardman, Cobb would be legit.