What is the Infatuation Many on this Board have with OBJ????????

Signing OBJ will make Rodgers happy and will also help NYJ sell more tickets. Which is what they’re thinking about. I personally think it’s a dumb idea to trade a distraction, only to then sign an even bigger less reliable distraction but it is what it is 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

People like to dump on Woody, and rightfully so, but the average Jets fan shares his view of roster construction: if you’ve heard of a guy, he must be worth dumping a bunch of future assets to acquire

I know, the pain of not having future picks to spend on the Sam Darnolds, Zach Wilsons, Denzel Mims and Elijah Moores of the world.  What a shame.

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Odell had 7 touchdowns in 12 games for 2021 Super Bowl Champion Rams after escaping Baker Mayfield. Healthy OBJ paired with the rest of the Jets skill position players would bd like Cris Carter - "all he does is catch touchdowns." 

That was pre-ACL injury #2 and, when the season starts, almost two seasons ago.  Why doesn't anybody take that into account?  That he suffered a serious knee injury in 2021 and that coming back from that injury - his second major injury to the same knee - at age 30 is highly unlikely?  Throw in what a complete a$$hole he is and I don't see any point in throwing money and a roster spot away on him. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

21 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Odell had 7 touchdowns in 12 games for 2021 Super Bowl Champion Rams after escaping Baker Mayfield. Healthy OBJ paired with the rest of the Jets skill position players would bd like Cris Carter - "all he does is catch touchdowns." 

This.  He is no longer the player that made that one handed catch. If he was,  he would be getting 25 million a year. Instead he'll get a few million on a 1/2 year deal to be a compliment to Garrett Wilson. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

This.  He is no longer the player that made that one handed catch. If he was,  he would be getting 25 million a year. Instead he'll get a few million on a 1/2 year deal to be a compliment to Garrett Wilson. 

Well, we don't know what he is. 

But we do know JD and the Jets went to his workout and by all accounts he looks very good - and, as per reports, his explosiveness is still there.  He may not be the same player from 2021 - but he also just might be.

I trust Aaron Rodgers judgement on WR's more than anyone on this forum - and know that our front office has seen him workout.

If they feel he's ready - then I'm for it.

They might be wrong - as these guys are wrong all the time - but he's as good an option as any - and this team is desperate for a #2 WR that ODJ can be.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Everyone totally hated the idea of getting this guy a few years back before he was less out there and not injured.  I was in favor of going after him then. 

Now everyone and their dog wants him because Rodgers wants him.

Just wait till we turn Randall Cobb into a terrific vet leader that gives us terrific depth.

Probably because two years ago the Jets were a 3 win team and building around OBJ is moronic....if you are going all in and a SB contender acquiring a player like him as a missing piece makes some sense....like the Rams did.

2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

He hasn't been high reward in 6 freaking years. Two games over 80 yards in 4 years.  Why will he be high reward now?  Explain.

I seriously question weather some of you guys actually watch football games other than the Jets around here....did you watch the playoffs and the Super Bowl two years ago?  Let me guess you are a big Derek Carr guy.

2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I posted this in another thread, but the Moore trade has led to a bunch of speculation about signing OBJ and I am just not seeing it.  OBJ has missed 60 of the last 102 games since 2017.  He has not even been on the field for 60% of games in the past 6 (!) seasons.  On those rare occasions when he has been healthy, he just has not produced in years.  He has two games over 80 yards and one game with 6 or more receptions since 2019.  Both of those stats are putrid.    So he had a good half in the Super Bowl in 2022 - 2 catches for 52 yards and a TD.  Whoop De Damn Do!  You don't judge a player by 26 minutes of football when you have a six year period of time for evaluation.  Any player can look good in a 26 minute sample size. And that 26 minutes becomes virtually irrelevant after an ACL injury (particularly considering his age).  30 year-old receivers coming off a 2nd ACL injury are not a good investment, no matter what the contract is.   

Now he is 30 and coming off another ACL injury and Jets fans want to give him money and a roster spot?  Seriously?  Why?  He is completely done.  Finished. He's old, he's injured,  he is a chronic complainer/locker room cancer, and he's a massive head case.  Talk about throwing money and a roster spot away. Let someone else make this colossal mistake.  I'd rather have almost anybody else.  Good GMs pay for future rather than past performance.  OBJ is all past performance and his future is crap.  I'd be surprised if he plays more than 5-6 games this season and more than 10-15 games for the rest of his career.  People here complain about JD drafting Becton, but Becton had no track record of injuries.  OBJ is a walking injury at this point, and that is if he doesn't wreck the locker room before he gets injured because he's not getting the ball.  All he has is a "name" and he hasn't lived up to that name in a very very long time.  He has nothing else going for him at this point.  Give me anybody else to fill the 4-5 WR spot.  Jets fans should want no part of this has-been.  Hopefully JD is much smarter than that and stays away from him. There is nothing positive about him other than a memory of how he played from 2014-16  and two catches in the 2022 SB.  

I don't get it.  Coming off of a serious injury.  Scumbag of a human being.  Nowhere near as good as he once was.  Teams dump him ever couple years.

But...strong rumors that Rodgers likes him, so I guess the Jets are gonna' take a shot.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 1

The only reason I’d be in favor of him is that he’s better than Moore. So I’m all for upgrades, especially when we’re looking at a 2 year open window with Rodgers.

I’m not the biggest OBJ fan and would prefer to swing a trade for Evans, Hopkins, Sutton, Jeudy, etc. but I’m not going to be mad if they sign OBJ to something like a 1 year, 10mil deal. He was a big player for the Rams on their runs.

If JD and Saleh greenlight it, it’s all good with me

• Upvote 1

If GW and Lazard are the 1 and 2 what role does OBJ play in this receiving corp? Is he a #3?

OBJ said $4mm was too little--he's probably looking for $8mm-10mm which is too much to pay a #3 receiver, especially one coming off a serious injury and couldn't play for a year. I doubt OBJ wants to play on a team where he isn't the 1/2 anyway. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JETS SB said:

Yup Moore could be better. But no one is getting a 2nd in a swap for OBJ and a 3rd in a trade. He is out there trying out for teams for nothing other than a contract. Comparing apples and oranges. 

meh… let’s agree to disagree on this being a great move.

GW, OBJ, Lazard, Hardman, Cobb, Conklin, Uzomah, Breece is definitely a nice set of weapons for Rodgers. That’s an offense that could win a superbowl. We still obviously need OL help which will most likely be addressed in the draft and also another RB. Other than that we good to go

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, undertow said:

Probably because two years ago the Jets were a 3 win team and building around OBJ is moronic....if you are going all in and a SB contender acquiring a player like him as a missing piece makes some sense....like the Rams did.

Good point. If not now, when? ( I guess…. ?‍♂️)

14 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

meh… let’s agree to disagree on this being a great move.

I just find it interesting the contrast of reactions. From great to awful. OBJ with Rodgers just seems to be foregone conclusion at this point. Forgive me for being excited for Aaron Rodgers throwing to Garrett, Odell, and Lazard with Breece and our defense. Just more exciting than Elijah Moore and Corey Davis. Maybe it’s just me. 

23 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

If GW and Lazard are the 1 and 2 what role does OBJ play in this receiving corp? Is he a #3?

OBJ said $4mm was too little--he's probably looking for $8mm-10mm which is too much to pay a #3 receiver, especially one coming off a serious injury and couldn't play for a year. I doubt OBJ wants to play on a team where he isn't the 1/2 anyway. 

Lazard is not a #2.  He's a possession #3 type that scares no one.  Jets are in desperate need of a legit threat at WR opposite Wilson.  OBJ fits that bill, well at least as good as anyone else they're going to find.

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Fact is is a healthy OBJ for a SB run is > Moore

A healthy, clear headed OBJ is definitely better than Moore…. but it’s not 2015 anymore. It’s 2023.

He’s never healthy, and he’s been a problem everywhere he’s played for longer than 5 weeks (LA).

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Theres a a lot more then just nice guys and total assh#les.

Rodgers wants him and they have a relationship.  

That's good enough for me - from the total a$$hole perspective.  He'll behave on this team.  

Now if you don't want him just because you don't like him.  I get it.  I would like whatever players give us the best chance to win - and I believe from the options the Jets have - he is.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Lazard is not a #2.  He's a possession #3 type that scares no one.  Jets are in desperate need of a legit threat at WR opposite Wilson.  OBJ fits that bill, well at least as good as anyone else they're going to find.

This is true now that we’ve traded Elijah Moore. (who I wasn’t even crazy about.)