Asking Price For Hopkins Dropped? Hopkins Granted Permission to Talk to Other Teams.

13 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

love the player - can the jets afford him and Rodgers?

Possibly at the expense of Lawson or Mosley... tough to say until we find out how much of the $58 million we have to eat, and then how much of what we do pay, can be/or has been negotiated into restructured dates... ie. 2024 bonuses or something. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Barton said:

The exact type the Jets need. Stop spending money on your top 5 defense and load up on offense. It’s not the 90s anymore. Offense wins championships.

Is the defense really top 5 though? Deep down, every jet fan knows what they saw. They saw opposing offenses playing extremely conservative and playing not to lose because they knew the jets offense wouldn’t be able to score. Teams were literally taking the 4th quarter off. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Is the defense really top 5 though? Deep down, every jet fan knows what they saw. They saw opposing offenses playing extremely conservative and playing not to lose because they knew the jets offense wouldn’t be able to score. Teams were literally taking the 4th quarter off. 

I keep seeing people say this but I doubt it's true. In 2021 when the defense was terrible other teams didn't settle for 17-20 points. They hung 40 on them. Playing conservative is really the best way to move the ball on this particular defense since they're willing to give up some underneath stuff and it's dumb to throw the ball at the corners 30 times a game. 

It's not to the level of the SF defense where they're just terryifing but it's legit. 5th in DVOA iirc

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

I keep seeing people say this but I doubt it's true. In 2021 when the defense was terrible other teams didn't settle for 17-20 points. They hung 40 on them. Playing conservative is really the best way to move the ball on this particular defense since they're willing to give up some underneath stuff and it's dumb to throw the ball at the corners 30 times a game. 

It's not to the level of the SF defense where they're just terryifing but it's legit. 5th in DVOA iirc

I’d watch games and laugh and think to myself, they aren’t even trying to score. There was a reason we didn’t get an interception for like the last 8 games of the season. People want to hang there hat on the defense, but after the Vikings game, it was very obvious if you take the green colored glasses off. Teams were just trying to get a few first downs and win the field position battle once they got a lead.

7 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

of course they can. the cap is just a mirage and can be easily manipulated

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a mirage, but in the short term if they can afford Corey Davis at ~$11MM or OBJ at (guessing) ~$10MM, they can afford Hopkins at ~$17MM. 

The question is more when the 80-90 ypg guy isn't that anymore. Time catches up to them all, and at speed positions that's frequently a sudden dropoff. You don't know when it'll happen either

Following a 1500/14 year for us, Brandon Marshall fell off a cliff at age 32. Jerry Rice was setting single season receiving records at 33 & Fitz was still an 1100-1200 wideout at 34. Julio was still a top-2 WR at 30 and when he was on the field half a season at 31, and then was suddenly nothing.

$19MMx1 or $17MMx2 is a lot for a 31 yr old WR who hasn't played a full season (or even much more than half a season) since he was 28. He might ball out for 15+ games this year faik, or he might play just another half-season & miss the playoffs entirely (again), assuming we get there.

Just now, extmenace said:

I’d watch games and laugh and think to myself, they aren’t even trying to score. There was a reason we didn’t get an interception for like the last 8 games of the season. People want to hang there hat on the defense, but after the Vikings game, it was very obvious if you take the green colored glasses off.

Well yeah, the offense scored like 2 touchdowns total after the Vikings game.  I tend to think that the offense being completely DOA at that point was the main reason for the lack of urgency for other teams. Hopefully we get to see how they look with an offense that can crack 23 points a game this year.

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

worth a shot for a 5th round pick

I agree.  I do think the PED might be a sign that he's breaking down and needs an edge to play at a high level.  Depends on the salary and the structure we can get from him. 

• Upvote 2