Time for Mims to prove himself

Of all the receivers on the Jets roster Denzel Mims has been the most disappointing. After a solid rookie year Mims dropped off the face of the Earth. Whether it be from dropped passes or not being able to absorb the playbook, Mims was either benched most of the year or had almost no impact.

If he wants to salvage his career now would be the ideal time to do so. He’s got the size and the speed. He just needs the commitment and confidence to know he’s worthy to play in this league.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 4

Of all the receivers on the Jets roster Denzel Mims has been the most disappointing. After a solid rookie year Mims dropped off the face of the Earth. Whether it be from dropped passes or not being able to absorb the playbook, Mims was either benched most of the year or had almost no impact.

If he wants to salvage his career now would be the ideal time to do so. He’s got the size and the speed. He just needs the commitment and confidence to know he’s worthy to play in this league.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
Rogers is going to sh*t a log right around the 4th time in the 12th practice that Mimsy isn't where he is supposed to be and then AR will have him cut.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Mims demanded a trade, before moore did, whey is he not a bad guy that needs to be purged?

Because he is untradeable?  Moore>Mims.  Easier to move.

Funny, using the draft pick value chart, the move from 74 to 42 has a trade chart value of +260 points.  The equivalent of pick 66, an early round 3 pick.  Strange.  It sure doesn't feel like that value.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

Rogers is going to sh*t a log right around the 4th time in the 12th practice that Mimsy isn't where he is supposed to be and then AR will have him cut.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

Correct. Rodgers doesn’t tolerate receivers who aren’t able to mind meld with him.

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Probably because he didn't make it such a spectacle.  He also shut his mouth and came back and did what was asked of him.

There is also the 'behind the scenes' crap that nobody knows about accept JD and the team.  Imagine how bad that might be if Moore was traded and Mims was not. 

Um…

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Mims demanded a trade, before moore did, whey is he not a bad guy that needs to be purged?

Asking for a trade is one thing when your not reaching your potential in the current system but allegedly cursing out your coach publicly saw the writing on the wall even with Lefluer gone.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Huge difference between a guy looking to play, not buried on a depth chart, and a guy who threw a tantrum because he wasnt getting the looks and his teammate(s) under the bus while he was at it.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Mim’s tape the last couple years has NOT been good, moving from brutal 2 years ago to a huge pile of meh last year.  Poor route running, difficulty converting speed (slow stop start, lack of deception), brain farts, bad hands.

The key question on him is has he been used the right way?  I have no confidence that MiLF used anyone the right way so I do believe there is an opening to evaluate Mims further rather than trading him at his low.  Especially with a guy like Rodgers who can throw deep, on time and to the back shoulder.

What could be his role, since he has some size/strength/speed to work with? As a starter, it should not be focused on quickness or route running.  But how about?

1. Deep balls (go, post, jump balls, Hail Mary)

2. Slant

3. Fade (+ back shoulder)

4. Blocking

—————————————————-

Let him prove he can do it in preseason games, thereby giving the team an opportunity to keep him in such a role or trade him for a much better pick if you already have someone better.  

• Upvote 2

We as Jets fans, more than any other fan base I think, have this strange tendency to overrate our players. I mean they REALLY have to suck bad before we give up on them (hello Zach) We did it with Berrios which got him a nice fat payday for a year in NJ. Elijah Moore, is another guy who we all who watched the tapes of him running up and down the field wide open and always unseen by the piece of crap worst QB we ever drafted so high. We thought all he needs is someone who can get him the ball and he'll be good.Wait until he plays with ARod... 

Now as far as Denzel Mims goes what Clay said above me here is quite true-he isn't a great go-up-and-get-em type of receiver but he can catch them if they are thrown within reason his way. Also, the guy can lay some wood on those DBs. I hold out hope that he can still be a productive pass catcher IF...IF, he stays on the Jets. I saw him make some big plays when Flacco was throwing him the ball in his rookie season. I hope he stays a Jet so I can see if he can be  a good Lets player.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Suck at WR?

We disagree on that.  The guy wasn't as bad as everyone made him to be.  Did he drop balls?  Yes.  I can also remember at least 6 passes Zach Wilson overthrew a jumping 6'3" receiver on a 10-yard route.  I also remember the key block he made for Hall's TD run against Denver on about his 6th play in the game.   If Rogers is here, Mims will contribute. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

We disagree on that.  The guy wasn't as bad as everyone made him to be.  Did he drop balls?  Yes.  I can remember at least 6 passes that Zach Wilson overthrew a jumping 6'3" receiver on a 10-yard route.  If Rogers is here, Mims will contribute. 

How about using Mims in the Red Zone on a fade since he does high point the ball and on go route where he also showed the ability as a rookie to get contested catches instead of having Berrios who sometime lined up on the outside in some instances down there.....Mims has never been used to his strengths because they wanted him to be the guy who played every WR position as a ####### rookie.......

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Mims did it professionally by having his agent reach out about it. Moore is a nozzle who made fake social media accounts talking sh*t to the org and liking anything about Elijah Moore. Moore also did it when we were winning. When Mims was asked about it he said he just wanted to play ball and contribute and even said he was happy to be part of a winner. Moore sucks.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1