Time for Mims to prove himself

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Yes he was but they’re independent of each other.

Mims is a back up to Lazard and isn’t expected to assume Moore’s role. 

Are t they two completely different WRs?  Moore is made for the slot, struggles outside the numbers and that’s Mims game

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

We disagree on that.  The guy wasn't as bad as everyone made him to be.  Did he drop balls?  Yes.  I can also remember at least 6 passes Zach Wilson overthrew a jumping 6'3" receiver on a 10-yard route.  I also remember the key block he made for Hall's TD run against Denver on about his 6th play in the game.   If Rogers is here, Mims will contribute. 

Amazing levels of self-delusion these days, Mims is good, Moore sucks, ZW really wasn’t so bad, lol. Yeah, JN really has their finger on the pulse right now in terms or reality.

• Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Are t they two completely different WRs?  Moore is made for the slot, struggles outside the numbers and that’s Mims game

Yes thats what I’m saying…they’re completely different.

Your original post was “Moore was better” a response to me saying I have some hope for Mims…so I’m not sure why you brought up Moore at all lol.

Either way, Moore is a super talented dude but it obviously was never going to work out here for him.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

We disagree on that.  The guy wasn't as bad as everyone made him to be.  Did he drop balls?  Yes.  I can also remember at least 6 passes Zach Wilson overthrew a jumping 6'3" receiver on a 10-yard route.  I also remember the key block he made for Hall's TD run against Denver on about his 6th play in the game.   If Rogers is here, Mims will contribute. 

With his frequency of dropped balls you'd think he was a nursing home.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Mim’s tape the last couple years has NOT been good, moving from brutal 2 years ago to a huge pile of meh last year.  Poor route running, difficulty converting speed (slow stop start, lack of deception), brain farts, bad hands.

The key question on him is has he been used the right way?  I have no confidence that MiLF used anyone the right way so I do believe there is an opening to evaluate Mims further rather than trading him at his low.  Especially with a guy like Rodgers who can throw deep, on time and to the back shoulder.

What could be his role, since he has some size/strength/speed to work with? As a starter, it should not be focused on quickness or route running.  But how about?

1. Deep balls (go, post, jump balls, Hail Mary)

2. Slant

3. Fade (+ back shoulder)

4. Blocking

—————————————————-

Let him prove he can do it in preseason games, thereby giving the team an opportunity to keep him in such a role or trade him for a much better pick if you already have someone better.  

We’re going to have a nearly complete new group or WR’s catching balls from presumably a new QB. We don’t have time to waste on a bust like Mims, we need those reps for the starters.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Yes thats what I’m saying…they’re completely different.

Your original post was “Moore was better” a response to me saying I have some hope for Mims…so I’m not sure why you brought up Moore at all lol.

Either way, Moore is a super talented dude but it obviously was never going to work out here for him.

I compared the two because the question was why was Moore sent packing while Mims wasn’t.  I do t think Mims is a Jet and Moore in Cleveland because Mims was better.  He wasn’t, regardless of positions.  300 yards and 20+ catches one season isn’t guaranteeing his job.  Moore opened his mouth and then had a confrontation with his OC and suspended for it.  

16 hours ago, Viermoo said:

Of all the receivers on the Jets roster Denzel Mims has been the most disappointing. After a solid rookie year Mims dropped off the face of the Earth. Whether it be from dropped passes or not being able to absorb the playbook, Mims was either benched most of the year or had almost no impact.

If he wants to salvage his career now would be the ideal time to do so. He’s got the size and the speed. He just needs the commitment and confidence to know he’s worthy to play in this league.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

• Upvote 2

On 3/22/2023 at 11:28 PM, Dcat said:

Because he is untradeable?  Moore>Mims.  Easier to move.

Funny, using the draft pick value chart, the move from 74 to 42 has a trade chart value of +260 points.  The equivalent of pick 66, an early round 3 pick.  Strange.  It sure doesn't feel like that value.

If we take Moore at his word he was persecuted by the OC and he had a turd at QB.  The reality is Moore got 731 snaps last year vs 270 for Mims.  There is very little to determine if Moore really is better than Mims other than the OC who Moore accused of persecuting him actually playing Moore and not playing Mims.  

We have a new OC who wasn't in on the cable against Moore last year.  He wasn't around making sure Mims didn't actually get snaps.  It may well be that the Jets who have new offensive coaches see a role for Mims and don't see one for Moore?

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

With his frequency of dropped balls you'd think he was a nursing home.

Mims went from a 2% drop rate in 2020 to a 12% drop rate in 2022 with far fewer attempts. Gee, I wonder why that might be. Of course, those perfect ducks from Zach might have had a part in it, but let's blame Mims. Also, if you look at Mims from college to the pro's he is anything but a body catcher. When the pass is to his midriff he pulls it in and makes a move. There are innumerable passes where he stretches and hand catches the ball with separation, so I don't know where that BS came from. Mims' biggest issue has been his discipline in route running, but even with that he managed to get open on several occasions -- waving his hands for the ball -- and Zach threw it in the dirt or into traffic. Mims is also a good blocker. He has the chance to be a good receiver. I will be really interested to see how he performs with a skilled QB. Honestly, all the receivers should look better when they're not contorting their bodies to compensate for the inaccuracy of Zach Wilson.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, JetsMetsRangers said:

How about using Mims in the Red Zone on a fade since he does high point the ball and on go route where he also showed the ability as a rookie to get contested catches instead of having Berrios who sometime lined up on the outside in some instances down there.....Mims has never been used to his strengths because they wanted him to be the guy who played every WR position as a ####### rookie.......

That was what I was trying to say, but you said more eloquently!

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I hate lazy underachievers, so Mims is not a favorite player of mine (along with his draft mate Becton). He did show more effort last season though. That being said, he doesn’t play special teams so he’ll have a tough time making the team. 

Lazy....Have you seen the pictures of Becton lately?  I wouldn't call that lazy.  

Mims has good length and catch range.  Sounds like he lost some confidence moving from playing with boys to men.  It happens.  One thing he could do is learn how to play special teams.  As stated by many, a 3-4 WR who doesn't play specials can get replaced. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Amazing levels of self-delusion these days, Mims is good, Moore sucks, ZW really wasn’t so bad, lol. Yeah, JN really has their finger on the pulse right now in terms or reality.

I think that is a bit of an over-exaggeration, but that too seems to be a 'sign of the times.'  My actual comment was he wasn't as bad as a lot of people have made him out to be.  That's it. Both Mims and Moore requested trades.  Moore got traded.  I also said it MIGHT be a sign that Moore behind the scenes was more of a pain in the ass than Mims was.  We will never know, and nor should we.  Fact of the matter is, Elijah Moore is off this team, as is Braxton Berrios.   Corey Davis may be on his way out soon as well.  We have Garret Wilson, Allen Lazard, and Denzel Mims as our top three receivers, and Irvin Charles, Diontae Spencer, and Malik Taylor as our depth pieces.  I don't think that is how the roster will look in September.  But for right now, that's what it is. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Mims demanded a trade, before moore did, whey is he not a bad guy that needs to be purged?

Because Mims did it before the season started when it would have made the most sense.  He did it because he knew he wouldn't be seeing the field.

Moore did it during the season, while the team was playing their best football in a decade, all because the offense wasn't about his as much as he wanted it to be.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, AFJF said:

….. while the team was playing their best football in a decade,

Not even close.

And the QB’ing was amongst the worst, ever.

9 minutes ago, AFJF said:

all because the offense wasn't about his as much as he wanted it to be.

Because the QB was sh*t. Wet steaming sh*t.

How fast y’all forget that our ORotY also was bitching and moaning about Poo Zach. He just didn’t demand a trade, because he was getting all the passes and playtime, while MLF was trying to make Berrios into a thing for his boyfriend Zach.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Not even close.

And the QB’ing was amongst the worst, ever.

Because the QB was sh*t. Wet steaming sh*t.

How fast y’all forget that our ORotY also was bitching and moaning about Poo Zach. He just didn’t demand a trade, because he was getting all the passes and playtime, while MLF was trying to make Berrios into a thing for his boyfriend Zach.

Wins.  I'm talking about wins.  They were winning more games than they were losing which included one of the toughest buildings in the NFL to win in.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Mims went from a 2% drop rate in 2020 to a 12% drop rate in 2022 with far fewer attempts. Gee, I wonder why that might be. Of course, those perfect ducks from Zach might have had a part in it, but let's blame Mims. Also, if you look at Mims from college to the pro's he is anything but a body catcher. When the pass is to his midriff he pulls it in and makes a move. There are innumerable passes where he stretches and hand catches the ball with separation, so I don't know where that BS came from. Mims' biggest issue has been his discipline in route running, but even with that he managed to get open on several occasions -- waving his hands for the ball -- and Zach threw it in the dirt or into traffic. Mims is also a good blocker. He has the chance to be a good receiver. I will be really interested to see how he performs with a skilled QB. Honestly, all the receivers should look better when they're not contorting their bodies to compensate for the inaccuracy of Zach Wilson.

You’re pissing on my joke, Jerky.

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

? this. Not saying probable but I’d be zero surprised if Mims became a star this year. Tbf same I’d had said for Moore. It’s just whoever Rodgers jells with and who gets the reps…

The thing is Mims is still on the team and Moore isn’t.  Funny how both of these guys showed flashes their rookie seasons and then slid into obscurity when saleh and milfy came on board.  Moore made his bed by wanting a trade. Mims seems to have turned his game around and is trying.  Rodgers should be calling his number pretty often in this seasons games.

• WTF? 1

On 3/23/2023 at 3:08 PM, Warfish said:

We’re going to have a nearly complete new group or WR’s catching balls from presumably a new QB. We don’t have time to waste on a bust like Mims, we need those reps for the starters.

When it was Mims catching the ball cutting for extra yards, I would say, “hey that’s Mims” and there was excitement there.  We all had hope for him.  But I think the quote above sums his status up perfectly. 

On 3/22/2023 at 10:52 PM, Beerfish said:

Mims demanded a trade, before moore did, whey is he not a bad guy that needs to be purged?

1.  Mims did it in the summer before season started....we know what Moore did right

2.  Mims did not lose his sh*t in the facility and go on ******* tirade and had to be sent home and get benched for the next important game

3.  Mims still a douche though and better watch his back for Irv Charles

On 3/22/2023 at 7:38 PM, Viermoo said:

Of all the receivers on the Jets roster Denzel Mims has been the most disappointing. After a solid rookie year Mims dropped off the face of the Earth. Whether it be from dropped passes or not being able to absorb the playbook, Mims was either benched most of the year or had almost no impact.

If he wants to salvage his career now would be the ideal time to do so. He’s got the size and the speed. He just needs the commitment and confidence to know he’s worthy to play in this league.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Is it time for Mims to prove himself? Sure. But he may not get that opportunity. He man not even be a Jet this year. 

Wilson, Davis, Lazard, Hardman, Mims, Charles, Taylor, Spencer. 

The Jest don't really have a slot guy. You have to think they will add a slot receiver. Spencer is the only guy who fits that role and he is a PS guy. I would imagine they draft one. So looking at the numbers- even if Davis gets cut or traded, Mims is at the very bottom of the depth chart. If Davis stays, you have to think Mims might be the guy to get cut or traded (unless the Jets carry 6?).