Kwon Alexander

Bronx

would love to keep him.

this rodgers thing gives me mixed feelings. on one hand, having an mvp qb could be great! on the other hand, teams that pay mega bucks to their qb can't afford to keep their own talents. so when 'keeping kwon' comes up, we just don't know what JD can pull out of his hat anymore.

having Q, becton, avt, zach, sauce, garrett, breece all on rookie deals helps A LOT, but even that's coming to an end with Q up first....

loved JD and his 'team building' ability...now it's time to see his 'keep the team together' talents.

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, Bronx said:

35% productive defensive snaps and he won't demand a huge payday.

Further with his injury history, it was a happy coincidence that he played so few snaps which may have kept him healthy.  I think/hope we resign him for cheaper than he thought the open market would be.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Offensive signings only please. We will not pay any attention to the overrated defense, thank you very much.

In other words, the defense is "overrated" (Not as good as people say), so we should just ignore it, because...?

I have nothing against Kwon individually, but it would take a special level of only Jets-like incompetence to seriously come back with nothing but the same exact players at what was the team's second worst unit (behind only QB) for about 3 times the price.  Pretty much the only chance at redemption JD has for that position is if one of the young guys can step in this year and be a quality starter at the last remaining spot.  That naturally leaves Kwon, perhaps undeservedly, as the odd man out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

I have nothing against Kwon individually, but it would take a special level of only Jets-like incompetence to seriously come back with nothing but the same exact players at what was the team's second worst unit (behind only QB) for about 3 times the price.  Pretty much the only chance at redemption JD has for that position is if one of the young guys can step in this year and be a quality starter at the last remaining spot.  That naturally leaves Kwon, perhaps undeservedly, as the odd man out.

They are fixing the linebackers by fixing the offense.  :)

17 hours ago, rangerous said:

wasn't in only about 35% defensive snaps?  not enough to warrant a big payday.

It was ~50% though that was boosted a couple points by playing more snaps while Quincy was out.

Other depth he provides is he also plays MLB. Even though he hadn't here, that was his probowl position with TB.

Then again with his prior injury history & the Jets escaping with a whole season from him, on such a cheap 1-year deal, maybe take the money & run instead of expecting to get that lucky twice in a row.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'm guessing the Jets would probably like him back on a 1 year deal. He's probably searching the market seeing if he can get a multi year contract. He's a quality player, but he plays about 40% of the snaps. 

Yes that is is accurate.  I read an article that explained this.  The Jets were well aware of his injury history based upon his size and he would breakdown throughout the season playing full time.  The Jets used him as a situational player which kept his legs and power fresh leading to his success.  I think the same can be said about Huff.

I would love to resign both.

• Upvote 3

At some point in time the Jets need to find guys in the draft who are 25% of the cost of guys like Kwon, Feeney, Joyner, etc.  They don't seem to be able to.  Pinnock was a huge misfire.  

Maybe LB and C is what JD is thinking with 2 2nd round picks.

But yes, my guess is that if they don't get who they want in the Draft, they could come back to Kwon.  That is what they are likely waiting for. 

Kwon is looking for a big contract knowing this is nearing an end for his career and he is coming off one of his only year remaining healthy. The problem here is that the Jets figured out a way to keep him on the field the entire year and that was by playing him 30% or less of a snap count. 

I would not pay him what he's likely asking for because I would not pay a guy who only gets 30% of the snaps that kind of money. I'd rather run it with Sherwood who I think has tremendous upside and has been in this system learning for years now. I would sign Kwon back, in a heartbeat, if he's willing to take near what he made last season. If not, good riddance 

• 1 month later...

Rich Cimini @RichCimini

#Jets re-signed one of their own UFAs yesterday (Connor McGovern). Another UFA is LB Kwon Alexander, a key piece on D. The two sides have stayed in touch and it’s possible he could re-sign after the draft, per source.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Signing a LB and Safety, and extended QW, all priorities now.

Still hoping we draft Jack Campbell, the LB, with out remaining 2nd rounder.

At 250lbs, he seems too big for our liking. 

Daiyan Henley, DeMarvion Overshown, Dorian Williams and Trenton Simpson fits the bills as the prototype. 

• 3 weeks later...