Some inside info on Elijah Moore trade

JD values character. And I guess we got tricked on this one. Moore seemed like a good character dude beside his TD celebration in NCAA. I thought his antics about requesting that trade last year at the time was BS, but he wasn’t be used so there was some sense behind it. I also think his 2 teammates at Miss just got paid and we’re feeding him info that if you’re not getting you he’s and stats you’re not going to get paid one day. Request a trade bc Wilson is trash.

Now it’s on him that he didn’t make the situation 100% better. And really he’s going to a worse situation if we have AR. CLE is always going to be a big time running team. And fact is is he’s the 3rd receiving option for them as well. So while he’ll have better QB play than Wilson. He’s not going to be putting up 1k 6td seasons in CLE.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, varjet said:

GW is great, and I guess Lazard fills this role, but it would be nice to see the Jets with a Deebo/SF WR type to match the offense.  Moore did not seem like a fit, and we could always get guys like Berrios to fill in.

Hardman likely fills a lot of that role. 

it doesn't sound like saleh to shut a player out.  he seems to be more of a players coach.  but it could be milfy is the main culprit.  he's the one calling the plays and he could easily call plays that pretty much exclude moore.  moore made his own bed but it doesn't seem like milfy was trying to help him out.  so he's gone now and he'll find out just hard it will be to play for cleveland.

2 hours ago, bd71 said:

Playing in Cleveland is.  Probably a worse franchise than the Jets.

Franchises are bad, until they aren't.  Pittsburgh was the dregs of the old NFL, until the 70s.  SF was a joke, until the 80s.  New England was horrible, until the 2000s.  KC was bad, until 5 years ago.  What the Jets did or didn't do in the 70s, 80s, 90s or even 5 years ago means nothing with regard to whether they will win this season and in the future.  Absolutely nothing.

• Upvote 2

Two things I find interesting from this post:

1. Lafleur,  who has been portrayed as distant and a bad communicator by several "insiders", talked things through with Moore and got his apology. 

2. Saleh, who has been portrayed as too nice a guy and too soft with the players,  went full Michael Corleone and gave Moore the Fredo treatment. 

• Upvote 1

I wasn't a fan of the trade, but if this report is true, then the Jets made the right move.

On a side note, this situation paints Saleh and the Jets organization (not only Eli Moore) in a poor light.  Surely, there was a way to rectify the situation and make things right.  While Moore's action were inappropriate, I can certainly see how and why he felt slighted.  Seems like there was a pretty easy way to fix things with game planning and getting the young talented receiver more involved.  Instead, Saleh and LaFleur dug their heels in and doubled down on antics that just continue to make the situation more toxic.

I say all this under the context that the report is indeed true.  I have no way of knowing whether or not this actually transpired.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I wasn't a fan of the trade, but if this report is true, then the Jets made the right move.

On a side note, this situation paints Saleh and the Jets organization (not only Eli Moore) in a poor light.  Surely, there was a way to rectify the situation and make things right.  While Moore's action were inappropriate, I can certainly see how and why he felt slighted.  Seems like there was a pretty easy way to fix things with game planning and getting the young talented receiver more involved.  Instead, Saleh and LaFleur dug their heels in and doubled down on antics that just continue to make the situation more toxic.

I say all this under the context that the report is indeed true.  I have no way of knowing whether or not this actually transpired.

Saleh and crew come off as very passive aggressive and not straight shooters....he lies in the media about players when we all know they are struggling and playing poorly and behind the scenes freezes players out and banishes them to the practice squad if they aren't happy or underperforming.......seems like a lot of games.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

Why would you change the O on October 20th when he asked to be traded?   The Jets had just won 3 games in a row against Miami, GB in GB and Denver in Denver.  

Why should he feel slighted during the best stretch of Jets football since he arrived?  

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Franchises are bad, until they aren't.  Pittsburgh was the dregs of the old NFL, until the 70s.  SF was a joke, until the 80s.  New England was horrible, until the 2000s.  KC was bad, until 5 years ago.  What the Jets did or didn't do in the 70s, 80s, 90s or even 5 years ago means nothing with regard to whether they will win this season and in the future.  Absolutely nothing.

Its not about the franchise its about living in NYC or just outside versus Cleveland... hmmm...

• More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Franchise changing HC and staff's along with drafting great long term answers at QB.  

19 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Why would you change the O on October 20th when he asked to be traded?   The Jets had just won 3 games in a row against Miami, GB in GB and Denver in Denver.  

Why should he feel slighted during the best stretch of Jets football since he arrived?  

I wasn't suggesting to "change the O," but in retrospect, it wouldn't have been the worst idea in the world after Breece and AVT both went down for the season in Denver.

Moore was obviously and actively being phased out of the offense by LaFleur and Zach.  We as fans are team oriented and generally have a tough time viewing things from a player's perspective, but at some point, a player needs to view things from a selfish business perspective whether we like it or not.  He's talented, he went into the year penciled in as the #1 WR, and he's playing for a second contract.  When the team appears to be actively phasing you out, it's only natural to feel slighted when you believe in yourself and your abilities.

Like I said earlier, he didn't handle things appropriately by blowing up and publicly demanding a trade.  I understand how and why fans turned against him at that point.  However, that doesn't change the reality that the Jets could have handled things better (again assuming what is being reported is actually true).  Some players need to be treated with kid gloves, and apparently Eli Moore is one of those players.  You can choose to be stubborn and make things worse, or you can choose to do your best to make the best of a situation with an emotionally sensitive player.  The Jets chose the former.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Look at Moore's production when ZW was injured and after he came back. Night and day. ZW was/is horrible. Didn't Garrett Wilson go off on him also after a game last year? I'm surprised more receivers didn't munity last year. 

13 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Look at Moore's production when ZW was injured and after he came back. Night and day. ZW was/is horrible. Didn't Garrett Wilson go off on him also after a game last year? I'm surprised more receivers didn't munity last year. 

What does Zach Wilson sucking have to do with Moore being a bad team mate and lazy player?  

Moore didn’t produce last year with anyone.  

• Upvote 1

Moore's best production came with Flacco behind center.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

What does Zach Wilson sucking have to do with Moore being a bad team mate and lazy player?  

Moore didn’t produce last year with anyone.  

It has a lot to do with it. He was frustrated. Look at his targets and catches with somebody else behind center and the awful ZW behind center. They are night and day. It was like he was invisible once the limited brain of ZW was trying to process the field and find receivers. He handled it the wrong way but I could totally understand his frustration.  

• More Ugh 1

3 hours ago, bicketybam said:
3 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:
Look at Moore's production when ZW was injured and after he came back. Night and day. ZW was/is horrible. Didn't Garrett Wilson go off on him also after a game last year? I'm surprised more receivers didn't mutiny last year. 

Moore's best production came with Flacco behind center.

He had some decent games with MW also. 

• Ugh 1

43 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

It has a lot to do with it. He was frustrated. Look at his targets and catches with somebody else behind center and the awful ZW behind center. They are night and day. It was like he was invisible once the limited brain of ZW was trying to process the field and find receivers. He handled it the wrong way but I could totally understand his frustration.  

You are incorrect    

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, nycdan said:

At the time he was drafted, our WR corps looked like this:  Corey Davis, Keelan Cole, Jeff Smith, Vyncent Smith, Berrios.

We were all incredibly pumped to get him and at times in his rookie year, he looked like an absolute steal.  It feels disingenuous to retroactively label him 'not a great pick'.  It's hard to predict infantile behavior sometimes but the talent was there.  Also, Humphrey wasn't taken until 30 picks later so that's also a stretch take.

Sometimes you can do the right/best thing and it doesn't work out.  It doesn't mean you made a mistake.  Jeff Lageman, Kyle Brady, Mike Haight.  Those were mistakes.  

Yeah this is where I'm at, too, though Mims (rookie starter for the 2nd half of the prior season) is missing from your pre-Moore list. Also that the Jets had a center with a guaranteed 8-figure salary for that season & had just taken an interior OLman in round 1; pretty unusual to go C in round 2 after using a pair of 3s to move up in round 1 for a G. 

The easiest thing to do in hindsight is to suggest we should've taken a pro bowl player over a different player that hasn't panned out nearly as hoped. Happens to every team, though.

Humphrey did fall; some were calling for him in round 1 (before the Jets traded up for AVT). He's clearly a better player without regard for positional importance, but iirc most had him somewhere in round 2 but it was all over where he could end up getting taken.

If any team is to be kicking themselves over missing out on Humphrey it's the Packers, who took C Josh Myers 1 pick ahead of Humphrey.

• Upvote 1

I can follow up to clarify a few things. I got the impression that this agent/attorney was connected to someone on the Moore side of things and Moore being a CAA client, I assume someone from their Manhattan office, although Moore's CAA agents are not from New York. Again, just connecting the dots to where he got his info.

I obviously cannot verify all of it is true. I know the guy. He doesnt just tell stories about this kind of thing. He had info. Whether its all true is another story. 

The way it sounded, the Saleh/Moore relationship was dead, once he was sent home after the incident with MLF and complaining about targets. It was an ugly blow up, as we know, so it seems like Moore's apology was more about the blowup since it was heard by the entire team and less about complaining regarding targets. That remained an issue for the rest of the season and the relationship between Moore and the staff was strained, to say the least. 

I am a Saleh guy. I think he is a good coach.  Moore and Saleh not communicating seems a bit exaggerated and unlike Saleh. But I just posted what was said. Take it for what its worth. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, nycdan said:

At the time he was drafted, our WR corps looked like this:  Corey Davis, Keelan Cole, Jeff Smith, Vyncent Smith, Berrios.

We were all incredibly pumped to get him and at times in his rookie year, he looked like an absolute steal.  It feels disingenuous to retroactively label him 'not a great pick'.  It's hard to predict infantile behavior sometimes but the talent was there.  Also, Humphrey wasn't taken until 30 picks later so that's also a stretch take.

Sometimes you can do the right/best thing and it doesn't work out.  It doesn't mean you made a mistake.  Jeff Lageman, Kyle Brady, Mike Haight.  Those were mistakes.  

It wasn’t that Moore “didn’t work out”.  He was misused, then ignored, by an utterly inept QB and a weak O-Co, both of whom seemed to favor Braxton f’ing Berrios instead.

Moore is a “we screwed up” example of organizational failure, not a he screwed up, no matter how much the blind homers don’t like it. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It wasn’t that Moore “didn’t work out”.  He was misused, then ignored, by an utterly inept QB and a weak O-Co, both of whom seemed to favor Braxton f’ing Berrios instead.

Moore is a “we screwed up” example of organizational failure, not a he screwed up, no matter how much the blind homers don’t like it. 

It's not that black and white.  Moore freelanced his routes and quit when he wasn't the primary.  How could  any quarterback trust a guy to be in a spot when he's doing that?  Besides Moore was practically demanding not to be a slot receiver early on claiming to be a complete outside guy.  He didn't want the slot, probably because they make less money on the second contract.  

I had huge hopes for Moore as a rookie and coming into year two and it's bittersweet to see him go, but it was time. 

• Upvote 1