2023 NFL Playing Rule, Bylaw and Resolution Proposals

Maxman

The NFL sent out the 2023 NFL Playing rule and bylaw resolution proposals. Here they are listed by team. Some interesting stuff in here, 0 as a #, kicker and punter # changes. The NY Jets proposed a change to the crackback blow rule. Remember these have to be voted on, so they are just proposals right now.

1. By Philadelphia; amends Rule 5, Section 1, Article 2, to permit the use of zero (“0”) as a jersey numeral; to allow kickers and punters to use any jersey numeral between 0-49 and 9-99.
  2. By Philadelphia; amends Rule 6, Section 1, to permit a team to maintain possession of the ball after a score by substituting one offensive play (4th and 20 from the kicking team’s 20 yard line) for an onside kickoff attempt.
  3. By Los Angeles Chargers; amends Rule 4, Section 6, Article 3 and Section 7, Article 4, to make the adjustment of the play clock following an Instant Replay reversal consistent with other timing rules.
  4. By Detroit; amends Rule 15, Section 3, Article 9, to expand the coaches’ challenge system to include personal fouls called on the field.
  5. By Detroit; amends Rule 15, Section 1, to provide clubs more opportunities for a third challenge.
  6. By Detroit; amends Rule 15, Section 3, to expand the Replay Official’s jurisdiction to allow for consultation regarding penalty assessment.
  7. By Houston; amends Rule 15, Section 1, Article 2, to expand the Replay Official’s jurisdiction to allow for review on failed fourth down attempts.
  8. By Los Angeles Rams; amends Rule 15, Section 1 and Section 3, to make fouls for Roughing the Passer called on the field subject to replay assist and/or review by a coach’s challenge.
  9. By New York Jets; amends Rule 12, Section 2, Article 6, to expand the crackback prohibition to players who go in motion and go beyond the center to block (“split-flow block”) a defender below the waist.
  10. By Competition Committee; to change the definition of a launch to leaving one or both feet.
  11. By Competition Committee; to make the penalty for tripping a personal foul.
  12. By Competition Committee; to make the penalty for illegally handing the ball forward consistent with other illegal acts, such as illegal forward passes.
  13. By Competition Committee; to make the penalty for illegal punts, drop kicks, or placekicks consistent with other illegal acts, such as illegal forward passes.
  14. By Competition Committee; to put the ball in play at the receiving team’s 25-yard line when a touchback occurs from a punt.
  15. By Competition Committee; to prevent the offense from benefitting by an extension of the half as a result of their foul.
  16. By Competition Committee; to put the ball in play at the receiving team’s 25-yard line if there is a fair catch on a free kick (kickoff and safety kick) behind the receiving team’s 25 yard line.
  17. By Competition Committee; to clarify use of the helmet against an opponent by removing the “butt, ram, spear” language from Article 8 and incorporating those actions into Impermissible Use of the Helmet.

6 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

The option for 4th and 20 in lieu of an onside kick is pretty interesting. 

I guess you would still have the ability to do an onside kick for the element of surprise. But if you wanted to increase your odds you go for it from the 20. You have one play to get a 1st down, other wise the other team pretty much has guaranteed points.

Pretty interesting. Seems XFLish.

The xfl does it now 4th and 15 though . I believe they count it statistically (unlike a 2 pt attempt) , if they make it the drive continues from end of play if they don’t the opposing team takes over wherever play ended , 4th and 20 is definitely better for nfl.

No doubt the game would be more exciting but I’m 50/50 about it. Being a fan of this team I can only foresee even more soul crushing defeat as Mahomes picks up the 4th and 20 overcoming a 14 point jet lead with 2 mins to go lol … I picked the jets as my team when I was 9 yo in 98’ , a ratio of 10:1 working against us seems about right if this rule had been around since then

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Some of these proposals are terrible ideas.

I do like challenge/replay on personal fouls, though it'lad to even more breaks in the sction. Sometimes the refs think they saw something they didn't when it's so fast in real time. Having possessions, scores, and ultimately games unjustly decided like that is awful. Especially if they are voting to possibly add yet another PF for tripping. But while no one wants more devastating CTE cases, plenty of helmet to helmet penalties are from the recipient lowering his head in the last split second, and all the refs see is the result & hearing the noise, even though it's really not the defender's fault.

18 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I guess you would still have the ability to do an onside kick for the element of surprise. But if you wanted to increase your odds you go for it from the 20. You have one play to get a 1st down, other wise the other team pretty much has guaranteed points.

Pretty interesting. Seems XFLish.

Yeah it's interesting but I hate this idea. Not that 4th and 20 is easy, but it's too much easier than an inside kick.

You've been beaten all game. It should be an extreme longshot to reverse that in the last minute. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah it's interesting but I hate this idea. Not that 4th and 20 is easy, but it's too much easier than an inside kick.

You've been beaten all game. It should be an extreme longshot to reverse that in the last minute. 

If the defending team is called for a penalty that is an automatic first down, do they keep ball? The way refs throw roughing the passer and pass interference flags it makes even more easier.

13 hours ago, JETS SB said:

This is a terrible rule change... it changes the dynamic of the game... So you are telling me now that because you sucked the whole game you now can just keep the ball as long as you convert 4th and 20 over and over. 

What is stopping you from doing this every kickoff.  What if the winning team does this. Just keeps the ball over and over. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Skeptable said:

This is a terrible rule change... it changes the dynamic of the game... So you are telling me now that because you sucked the whole game you now can just keep the ball as long as you convert 4th and 20 over and over. 

What is stopping you from doing this every kickoff.  What if the winning team does this. Just keeps the ball over and over. 

The problem is, if you don't get the first down, you give the other team the ball back in scoring position. You cannot do it over and over again. You do it at the end of the game when you are desperate, just like an onside kick.

3 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I'd prefer they just revert the onside kick rules back to where they were viable. The chances of recovering an expected onsides kick are virtually nil at this point.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

The problem is, if you don't get the first down, you give the other team the ball back in scoring position. You cannot do it over and over again. You do it at the end of the game when you are desperate, just like an onside kick.

Ok... so what if you are losing by 20 in the 3rd why not... you are going to lose anyway... 

It ruins the meaning of the rest of the game... Especially if you have a player like Maholmes and their defense is playing horrible... why not just try to keep the ball each time.

It changes the whole game too much.

Even if you limit it to a team losing by more then 2 TDs or something like that... This diminishes the last 50 Minutes you just played.