Nuclear Option

Wit

The time for deadlines and tough talk is long past.

The Jets have no other options than Rodgers now none. 

There is no world in which zac Wilson or some one like teddy brdgewater starts.

The jets needed to set a deadline in the sand for both rodgers and the packers a long time ago when there was still at least semi viable fallback.

Don't worry a deal will get done, it would be an utter disaster for both teams if it does not.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

3 minutes ago, Wit said:

I honestly would tell Green Bay they have one week to consummate the deal or the deal is off. If they resist then lower the draft pick to a conditional fifth next year.

We have sucked for over ten years. If JD said: hey guys we are rolling with Zach for another year and in code say and tanking for a QB in the next draft we can handle it. We are a strong, long suffering and united fan base. **** Green bay!

We have way too much talent, imo, to be #1 overall.  Even when we had barely any talent back in 2020 we still didn't get #1 overall.  

• Sympathy 1

Or, maybe there is already a deal in place, and they're waiting on dates for cap purposes or a contract revision. Both teams know each other's hand at this point. One team needs this to happen. Whereas, the other would like it to happen. Walk away from the need for immediate gratification, accept that it's done already, and you'll just have to wait for the terms.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Wit said:

I honestly would tell Green Bay they have one week to consummate the deal or the deal is off. If they resist then lower the draft pick to a conditional fifth next year.

We have sucked for over ten years. If JD said: hey guys we are rolling with Zach for another year and in code say and tanking for a QB in the next draft we can handle it. We are a strong, long suffering and united fan base. **** Green bay!

I would just tell them as closer as it gets to training get, the comp will be less. Maybe they changed their mind and want him back now ? Ha. No team is going to make an offer better. Nobody else even wants the contract and drama 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Wit said:

Are you crazy? They won 7 games last season without a QB, there is no way they would contend for the first pick in the draft even if Wilson is our starting QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You are aware of the franchise you root for, yes?

What does that have to do with my comment?  Nothing at all, absolutely nothing.

What is your stance here?  Are you okay with Zac Wilson as the starter next year after a few month fail of going after Rodgers?

The Packers have one dance partner to take Rodgers off their hands, the Jets have one and only one serious option left at QB, that being Rodgers.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We have way too much talent, imo, to be #1 overall.  Even when we had barely any talent back in 2020 we still didn't get #1 overall.  

So many good qbs have been late first or lot later. Yet us jet fans still try to fall for the top 5 or nothing. That sure hasn’t worked out too well for us past 15 years lol

• Upvote 3

I am dealing with the same type issue on an estate dispute. 

You want to attack the other side who is being difficult, but that just escalates things and makes things harder to deal with.  There is no real rush here.   We really don't know whether GB was thinking this was a 6/1 deal.   It will likely happen.  

If it does not, start Zach and Strevelar, draft the best QB we can, tank 2023, draft the best QB we can, and tell the young stars that 2023 is a recovery year but we will go all in next year and going forward.

No true New Yorker, and New York Jet fan, wants to be extorted by these fools at the Packers.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Wit said:

Take your ball and go home @Wit

The Jets don’t need you running point for them, bud.

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

People need to get off that. All he meant was that he would compete really hard and try and beat the guy out. The hatred of Zach is so lame.

I’m as far from a pro Zach guy as anyone can be but it amazes me how people  can be so stupid that they don’t realize that’s what he meant when he said that.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What does that have to do with my comment?  Nothing at all, absolutely nothing.

What is your stance here?  Are you okay with Zac Wilson as the starter next year after a few month fail of going after Rodgers?

The Packers have one dance partner to take Rodgers off their hands, the Jets have one and only one serious option left at QB, that being Rodgers.

What you say is true, but leads you inevitably to the specious conclusion that it is the Jets, and only the Jets, who must cave to make this work.  You seem to have staked out a position that JD must give up the #13 pick and whatever else GB is asking for to get this done or he is an awful GM.  You have also staked out a position that it is the Jets, and only the Jets, who messed this up, while having absolutely no knowledge of what actually transpired between the teams and Rodgers.

You may turn out to be more right than wrong but there are a lot of plausible scenarios where this turns out far differently than you expect.  I just wonder if you will give JD a nod of appreciation if this somehow ends up being a much better trade than you anticipate.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Green Ghost said:

I’m as far from a pro Zach guy as anyone can be but it amazes me how people  can be so stupid that they don’t realize that’s what he meant when he said that.

But are you a Prozac guy?  We have quite a few of them on this board.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The time for deadlines and tough talk is long past.

The Jets have no other options than Rodgers now none. 

There is no world in which zac Wilson or some one like teddy brdgewater starts.

The jets needed to set a deadline in the sand for both rodgers and the packers a long time ago when there was still at least semi viable fallback.

Don't worry a deal will get done, it would be an utter disaster for both teams if it does not.

And that means what, the Jets should and have to bend over to GBs demands? Because they have options?  Well they have fewer options than the Jets, they have none.  
Let them drag out longer.  Let GB lose this years draft.  Who cares.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

People need to get off that. All he meant was that he would compete really hard and try and beat the guy out. The hatred of Zach is so lame.

Are you happy with Zach Wilson? His ineptitude caused this Aaron Rodgers fiasco and also dented JD's plan. 

I think he does deserve being bashed by angry fans.

• Thumb Down 1

33 minutes ago, Wit said:

Another year with Zach wastes prime years for guys like Sauce, Garrett, Quinnen who are win-now guys.  Tanking for a QB next year means not only sacrificing this season but risking that you don't get the QB you want in 2024 or that it's a wasted rookie year for a new QB who needs to learn on the job.  Believe or not, the Jets are a win-now team with a QB problem in the moment.  That's the only reason the Aaron Rodgers move is even on the table, otherwise they would have save money and went with a Garrapolo type IMO.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

why? what is the rush between now and the draft?

sit tight, go about your business and let them come to the realization you don't give a sh*t about ****.

so many bed wetters on this forum.

I think you nailed it. 

The truth is, there is a lot of time for things to play out. Even if you assume GB wants draft picks this year and therefore think the draft is a natural deadline, this can drag on for weeks. Hoping something gets hammered out at the league meetings, but that is not guaranteed. 

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Wit said:

Easy for us to say, but JD and Saleh are the ones whose jobs are on the line if they do that. Us, we just lose time again watching a bad product likely taking the field.

39 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Are you crazy? They won 7 games last season without a QB, there is no way they would contend for the first pick in the draft even if Wilson is our starting QB.

And even when we have contended for the #1 overall, either we find a way to mess it up (like against the Rams) or the football gods conspire against us by sidelining half Browns offense with Covid.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Wit said:

Here’s the thing, @Wit… if we were sitting at the opposite ends of a negotiating table, I’d know I have you in the palm of my hand after an outburst like that.
You’ve just shown me how emotional you are about this, and how desperate you are to get a deal done quickly.

I would ignore your outburst, shake your hand, end the meeting and tell you to get back to me when you were ready. When you come back though (and you will) the price of poker will have gone up, because I know I own you.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Here’s the thing, @Wit… if we were sitting at the opposite ends of a negotiating table, I’d know I have you in the palm of my hand after an outburst like that.
You’ve just shown me how emotional you are about this, and how desperate you are to get a deal done quickly.

I would ignore your outburst, shake your hand, end the meeting and tell you to get back to me when you were ready. When you come back though (and you will) the price of poker will have gone up, because I know I own you.

Good post.  Agree wtih everything you have said.  Negotiations usually get done when there is a deadline, but it hs to be real, not artifically imposed by one side.  First real deadline is the draft, assuming GB wants 2023 picks.  Beyond that,, this likely stretches until after June 1, and I am guessing the teams have had enough discussions that both JD and Gutekunst know where this is going and when it likely gets done.

I think this gets done between now and April 27, and I see no reason to panic.  

• Upvote 2