NFL Insiders in Hurry to Show Just how Little They Know About Jets and Joe Douglas

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

4 offseason won.  13 and 37 season record.  3 full drafts, 4 free ageny periods.  

C'mon..You know the deal..Team lacks competent QB play..They don't grow on trees...Look around the NFL....All GMs have misses.

• Upvote 3

Feels like folks are trying real, real had to convince themselves this delay in completing a trade is a good thing.

To this point in time, there is absolutely no evidence of that.  The only facts we know are:

1. We don't have Aaron Rodgers (yet)

2. The only QB we have today is Zach Wilson

Everything beyond that is pure speculation, and for Jets Fans, the rationalization defense mechanism in action.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Feels like folks are trying real, real had to convince themselves this delay in completing a trade is a good thing.

To this point in time, there is absolutely no evidence of that.  The only facts we know are:

Everything beyond that is pure speculation, and for Jets Fans, the rationalization defense mechanism in action.

Every time I read this board I wish I had a fast forward button. Feels like I’m watching reruns of 21 Jumpstreet at this point wondering why Richard Greco was ever a thing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Teddy is in the cat-bird seat. Whoever ends up with AR is out of the running for Teddy. Jets get AR, Teddy signs with GB. GB holds onto AR and the Jets sign Teddy. He's the only serviceable FA QB left.

image.png.fe6738a8453ee2fad0cdacd9fe711c72.png

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Great analysis.  

We have a real GM for a change, who while not perfect, is so much better than what we have had in the past that so many just don’t know how to handle it. 

He will ultimately be judged on results.  I think he's done a reasonable job.  I do think the drafting of Zach and the hiring of Robert Saleh as the HC will be his undoing with the NY Jets.  

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Does it matter? The offseason has only technically been active for almost 2 weeks. Maybe it’s better to 1) not worry but also 2) don’t praise JD on a trade he hasn’t done. Double sided

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The only thing that matters is the games, the wins and losses and playoff results.  This offseason obsession with who we get is meaningless drivel until it plays out on the field.  

I'm not convinced we have a HC who could win the division with the 85 bears roster.  

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This is getting old

• Upvote 2

Great analysis.  I can't help but think that Douglas would be negotiating from such a stronger position if he had re-signed Mike White.  But I agree that the idea that the Jets are without any Plan B options is just ridiculous.  I had to call into the Anita Marks show yesterday to argue that point because she kept saying over and over how Green Bay "holds all the cards" and the Jets are without any other options.  

• Upvote 1

the idiot talking heads are all just playing their game to sell copy or viewership.  they don't know a thing because it's really all in the hands of green bay and the jets.  the telling thing is this article mention potential trade targets of stafford or tannehill.  my guess is those would probably have to be completed before the draft.  my guess is that both the jets and packers want this wrapped before the jets but i don't see as much urgency for the jets.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

And we don’t have any evidence that holding out and not giving away a 1st is a bad deal.  In fact it’s kind of goofy to think it’s a bad thing. 

We don’t have Rodgers yet and only have Wilson but I believe it’s only March and the season doesn’t start until September.   By my calculations that’s 6 months away or plenty of time.  

There’s no rationalization defense mechanism in action.  Just pure common sense.  I don’t want JD to overpay because some fans want him to get Rodgers done just because 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

It's a non thing.  Packers don't want Rodgers, have no other suitors and owe him $60 million to sit on the bench if they don't move him.

Personally I'd be fine if the Jets pivot.  If Stafford is medically cleared, tell the Pack to take a hike and bring in a recent SB winner who just might give you more than one season.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hex said:

Does it matter?

The 300+ Megathread would imply that it does, to the fans at the very least.

1 hour ago, Hex said:

The offseason has only technically been active for almost 2 weeks. Maybe it’s better to 1) not worry

I'm not worried. 

JD is all-in on AR.  If he gets him, and it works out, he saves his ass for a year, maybe two.  It buys him time to find a real QB of his own.

If not, his era is effectively over in NY.  He will not survive another losing non-playoff season.

1 hour ago, Hex said:

but also 2) don’t praise JD on a trade he hasn’t done. Double sided

He's done nothing but produce losing teams.  

Sure, we could credit him for individual moves (like drafting my entire suggested draft class in 2022, lol) but at the end of the day, he is what his record says he is.  A loser.  So far.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

4 offseason won.  13 and 37 season record.  3 full drafts, 4 free agency periods.  

The free agency period is before the draft.  He has had 3 drafts (What is a full draft?  Did he have a half draft?), 3 free agency periods and 4 mini-drafts.  It is a enough to completely turn over a roster.  The question is do you believe this team is mediocre QB play from the playoffs or do they need a stud?  Always preferable for the latter, but making the playoffs without one is an indication the roster is solid.

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The free agency period is before the draft.  He has had 3 drafts (What is a full draft?  Did he have a half draft?), 3 free agency periods and 4 mini-drafts.  It is a enough to completely turn over a roster.  The question is do you believe this team is mediocre QB play from the playoffs or do they need a stud?  Always preferable for the latter, but making the playoffs without one is an indication the roster is solid.

We haven't come close to making the playoffs without one.   Douglas has had 3 drafts but unlike almost every other GM he was hired in June.  That means before his first draft and free agency period he had more time than every other GM who was hired after the season to evaluate the roster, the likely FA's and the draft.  He also was in position to put his own people in place well before any other GM's that were hired after the season which is typical of the NFL.  

He has had enough time to turn over the roster.   Nobody forced him to hire a HC from the Defensive side of the ball with an OC who had never called plays before to help in evaluating Sam or making the pick for Zach.  That falls on Douglas.

4 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

We have a real GM for a change, who while not perfect, is so much better than what we have had in the past 

Joe Douglas is 20-45 as GM of the NYJ

he's better at PR, getting people to believe he's great

the actual results? Not so much 

they are the same 7 win last place team that they were when Gase was coach 

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

We haven't come close to making the playoffs without one.   Douglas has had 3 drafts but unlike almost every other GM he was hired in June.  That means before his first draft and free agency period he had more time than every other GM who was hired after the season to evaluate the roster, the likely FA's and the draft.  He also was in position to put his own people in place well before any other GM's that were hired after the season which is typical of the NFL.  

He has had enough time to turn over the roster.   Nobody forced him to hire a HC from the Defensive side of the ball with an OC who had never called plays before to help in evaluating Sam or making the pick for Zach.  That falls on Douglas.

I agree that he has had enough time to turn over the roster.  The crux is what you feel about the QB issue.  I get taking the swing with Wilson, but the backup plan either sucked or the willingness to move to it was way late.  I think the 6-3 record indicates that there is some validity to his roster building, but I don't know how much.  IMO this year is about as close to a playoff mandate as I'd get.  I *might* not fire him if they don't make it, but man there'd have to be a sh*tload of extenuating circumstances.

There is a bunch I like about what he has done.  The main issues are that 2020 draft = YIKES!  He had as much time to prep for that draft and install his scouts and it was still a huge whiff.  Some can be attributed to drafting for Gase and Williams, but how much?  Scheme fit might explain Mims and Davis,  You can blame Becton and Clark on injuries, but the foreseeability was there for Becton.  I don't know what explains Zuniga or Perine.  Took a swing on Morgan and hard to complain about Hall or Mann even if they aren't so great.  The Wilson pick seems like an atrocity and for all the love that Michael Carter and Elijah Moore got, that seems to have washed away like the love for Becton and Mims after 2020.  2022 seems like a great draft, but when you have 6 picks in the top 120 you ought to hit some homers.  

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

IMO this year is about as close to a playoff mandate as I'd get.  I *might* not fire him if they don't make it, but man there'd have to be a sh*tload of extenuating circumstances.

to expand on this the Jets don't have to fire JD. He's in year 5 of a 6 year contract they could just let him be a lame duck in year 6 and not renew his deal 

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I agree that he has had enough time to turn over the roster.  The crux is what you feel about the QB issue.  I get taking the swing with Wilson, but the backup plan either sucked or the willingness to move to it was way late.  I think the 6-3 record indicates that there is some validity to his roster building, but I don't know how much.  IMO this year is about as close to a playoff mandate as I'd get.  I *might* not fire him if they don't make it, but man there'd have to be a sh*tload of extenuating circumstances.

There is a bunch I like about what he has done.  The main issues are that 2020 draft = YIKES!  He had as much time to prep for that draft and install his scouts and it was still a huge whiff.  Some can be attributed to drafting for Gase and Williams, but how much?  Scheme fit might explain Mims and Davis,  You can blame Becton and Clark on injuries, but the foreseeability was there for Becton.  I don't know what explains Zuniga or Perine.  Took a swing on Morgan and hard to complain about Hall or Mann even if they aren't so great.  The Wilson pick seems like an atrocity and for all the love that Michael Carter and Elijah Moore got, that seems to have washed away like the love for Becton and Mims after 2020.  2022 seems like a great draft, but when you have 6 picks in the top 120 you ought to hit some homers.  

Just as an aside.  I think Douglas is okay.  I think he's biggest whiff was hiring Saleh.