Lamar Jackson Requests Trade

Maxman

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I feel like Jackson is coming off as both entitled and ungrateful. Baltimore drafted him when he was about to drop out of the first first round, and specifically designed an offense tailored to his strengths and concealing his weaknesses. His entire beef appears to be his hard line for a contract, to the point that he wants out now? I’d advise him to be careful about what he wants. I don’t think there are too many coaches/organizations who are as capable of putting him in such a position to succeed. 

As for the Jets, they can’t develop a traditional QB. Jackson would be a nightmare of Russell Wilson proportions here, and maybe worse. 

This!!!  The older Jackson gets the more games he will miss and the slower he will get.  The novelty of him will

wear off because he's never improved from the pocket.  That's why Rodgers, Brady & Manning can play into their

40's, "pocket mastery"

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Spotrac @spotrac

Just a reminder that Lamar Jackson is not currently under contract. His $32.4M franchise tag must be signed in order for him to be traded, and there are no ramifications for him not signing that tag - other than the $1.8M per league week missed lost.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Raise the bar.
Same reason the MLBPA didn’t want ARod to sign his deal with the Red Sox years ago.

what bar are you talking about???

the players get a set percentage of the revenues via a salary cap.  

how does giving Lamar a huge fully guaranteed contract change the amount the players are going to get?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This is the crux of Lamar's problem.  If he were open to taking a Josh Allen contract, I think there would be interest.  

The most compelling thing to me is what's up with Burrow?  Are he and CIN stuck on the same issue?  If they agree on a deal that doesn't have Watson terms, it would severely undermine Lamar's position.  Would he come down to earth at that point?  Because nobody in their right mind would say Lamar is worth more than Burrow.  Herbert is another 4th year guy who is probably a better comp.  Not sure if those deals are waiting to see how Lamar nets out but it'll be compelling to see who blinks first and what happens from there.

Since all we know is what he has asked for and the low ball offer Baltimore admitted giving him who knows?

Since when does what someone asks for become the basis of a formal deal?   

There's another issue with the no-agent thing that could be putting teams off.  What happens in two years when QB deals are cracking the $60M line and Lamar is still sitting at his paltry $48M number in year 3 of a 5-year deal?  He decides he's underpaid and starts making trouble.  No agent to help navigate the situation.  Now you have a brutal cap situation that's fully guaranteed and a disgruntled QB who wants a raise.  Honestly, if I were a GM planning to be around for 5 more years, I see reasons to shy away from that situation.  LJ is trying to eat both ends of the cake.  You want to save 2-3% on an agent and you want to play hardball for every dollar?  That could be a recipe that some, if not most GMs legitimately want no part of.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

NFLPA and Smith himself have said it too.

Of course they have.  They're not a neutral party.

18 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Ol' boys club have been sued for it a few times over the years, it's really not that outlandish.

Guess we'll see once Jackson sues.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Obviously, but that’s not what I asked you. Can’t the Ravens agree to a trade for less than two #1 picks if they want?

It would be better than having him sit out a season and they get nothing.

Not sure. I’d assume if all parties agreed they could

2 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

multiple reports said he got 3 years 133 guaranteed.

he never refuted that point.

his business advisors have given him terrible advice in my opinion.

It's a lowball offer having nothing to do with Watson money.  

• WTF? 2

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

There's another issue with the no-agent thing that could be putting teams off.  What happens in two years when QB deals are cracking the $60M line and Lamar is still sitting at his paltry $48M number in year 3 of a 5-year deal?  He decides he's underpaid and starts making trouble.  No agent to help navigate the situation.  Now you have a brutal cap situation that's fully guaranteed and a disgruntled QB who wants a raise.  Honestly, if I were a GM planning to be around for 5 more years, I see reasons to shy away from that situation.  LJ is trying to eat both ends of the cake.  You want to save 2-3% on an agent and you want to play hardball for every dollar?  That could be a recipe that some, if not most GMs legitimately want no part of.

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

15 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Semantics much?

He’s free to negotiate with any team currently.

He needs an agent.

I think the difference is with him requesting a trade:

1. If you agree to a deal with Lamar you know you got him because you already agreed with the Ravens

2. The compensation could be less than signing him as a franchise player

He is forcing the Ravens hand, especially if he tells them he isn't playing for them again.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, batman10023 said:

explain the lowball offer.  3/133 seems very much in line.  what was more appropriate?

what did Allen get?  should LJ get the same/better/worse?

Allen 150 million guarateed.  Kyler Murray got 160 guaranteed.  Wilson 161 fully guaranteed.  Seems like 133 is a lowball offer even if you throw out Watson's deal.  

• Upvote 2

See if he had an agent he would have done this a month ago when teams were looking for a QB. 

The jets are all in on rodgers and 100.00 % will not contact lamar under any circumstances and risk Rodgers getting pissed. Don’t even discuss it. 

if he isn’t worth the contract he isn’t worth the contract plus picks. 

this is why you pay the agent the 4% or whatever it is 

• Upvote 4