Key points on Rodgers that are being ignored, why did Zach fail and crazy revisionist history regarding Zach being picked second overall

AFJF

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Which has nothing to do with JD as much as you want it too. 
Not many Joe, let’s not rewrite history 

I’m ok with JD he just isn’t good at selecting QB’s and kickers but Zeurlein is decent …. Keep the faith I guess … hope you are well. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flashlite80 said:

>Everyone agrees that BYU did not face tough competition and did have very good offensive line protection.  Since Zach faced lesser competition and under little pressure, it explains many of his problems.

We all know about his problems mechanically, with reads and with pressure.  I will say that it is hard to know what a QB can do when the protection is lousy.  Jim Kelly was unstoppable until the Giants put pressure on in the Super Bowl.  Tom Brady was similarly human against the pass rush.  The Jets won a playoff game 42-3 against the great Peyton Manning because they had him under pressure all day.  These are three of the best QB's all-time.  One thing they all shared was they were never sacked and hardly ever hit.

If Zach is ever successful as a QB, he will need above average pass protection.  Not an excuse.  Just a simple fact.  If he still struggles with mechanics and reads it's over, but there is no chance if Joe D doesn't finally figure out how to build a decent o-line.

Not to mention the outstanding Patrick Mahomes two Super Bowls ago.  He is a fantastic player, but he looked like trash in that Super Bowl. No QB looks good when the Oline is trash, and it played out that way this season.  When the Oline was healthy, people were positive and optimistic about Zach, and the Jets were winning.  Post Oline injuries, every QB looked like crap.  The QB situation will always be a chicken and egg argument until the Oline gets fixed. 

• Upvote 4

He said it right its a waste to trade for Rogers they have to pay out 110 million. I wish Woody and delusional fans would get it. They be better off with Tanahill or Stafford. In 2 years they could have an elite roster I said this whole Rogers trade will destroy everything. I waited 47 years I can wait a little longer to do this right Woody and stupid fan base is the reason this team sucks.

9 hours ago, nyjets1969 said:

He said it right its a waste to trade for Rogers they have to pay out 110 million. I wish Woody and delusional fans would get it. They be better off with Tanahill or Stafford. In 2 years they could have an elite roster I said this whole Rogers trade will destroy everything. I waited 47 years I can wait a little longer to do this right Woody and stupid fan base is the reason this team sucks.

Good post except for blaming the fans.  If the owner and his FO are weak in the knees and buckle to "fan pressure" that is on them and not the fans.  Grow up!

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, RAB said:

Not to mention the outstanding Patrick Mahomes two Super Bowls ago.  He is a fantastic player, but he looked like trash in that Super Bowl. No QB looks good when the Oline is trash, and it played out that way this season.  When the Oline was healthy, people were positive and optimistic about Zach, and the Jets were winning.  Post Oline injuries, every QB looked like crap.  The QB situation will always be a chicken and egg argument until the Oline gets fixed. 

OL was bad, brutal at times and yet it was say better than what Darnold had out there and also Mike White performed way better than Zach Wilson with the same poor line, though that line almost got White killed true.

Simple, Zach’s confidence was shot towards the end of last year, he was just awful, missing guys wide open in the flat and then he showed zero leadership, by not being even open and honest about his own poor play.

So yes Zach is certainly better, way better than what he showed but he is going to have to get his confidence back on track and then play significantly better in real game time action and that will take time.  

• Upvote 2

On 3/27/2023 at 5:51 PM, rtnelson said:

This just straight up isn't true.  He played at BYU for more than a single covid year.

Not to mention, how good do you think BYU is?  Their recruiting rankings consistently are in the 70's nationally.

Did you actually watch the Coastal Carolina game and know the what happened surrounding that game, or are you just parroting talking points?

I'm not defending ZW here, just calling out a bad take. 

BYU is the Biggest Kid in the Mountain West playground,  not even close. They get the best recruits in that conference,  they fielded an O Line that kept Wilson virtually untouched, and the one time he played on the East Coast, he sh*t the bed. These are all facts, not talking points. 

Zach Wilson could be the greatest Flag Football player ever, but the instant there is a threat of him getting hit and hurt, he folds like a cheap suit. It is what it is. When he's 40, he'll still be able to rip the ball 65 yards effortlessly, he has God Given physical talent, he just doesn't have the right stuff to play at a high level. Sad but true.

go team nasa GIF

*Zach Wilson not pictured

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

BYU is the Biggest Kid in the Mountain West playground,  not even close. They get the best recruits in that conference,  they fielded an O Line that kept Wilson virtually untouched, and the one time he played on the East Coast, he sh*t the bed. These are all facts, not talking points. 

Zach Wilson could be the greatest Flag Football player ever, but the instant there is a threat of him getting hit and hurt, he folds like a cheap suit. It is what it is. When he's 40, he'll still be able to rip the ball 65 yards effortlessly, he has God Given physical talent, he just doesn't have the right stuff to play at a high level. Sad but true.

go team nasa GIF

BYU hasn't been in the Mountain West in over a decade.

And no, they don't recruit considerably better than the top of the Mountain West because they are a Mormon university.  Their recruiting ranks literally hover around #70 in the country.  As middle of the pack as it gets.  They'll land one, maybbbeee, two four stars a year due to their church connections.  But those are the highlights of their recruiting classes.  Most of their stars are just underrated three stars like Zach Wilson.

Did Zach get over drafted because all of the P5 conferences dropped non P5 games?  Yeah, he probably did.  But it wasn't through any fault of his own, or BYU's that they had to play that schedule.

5 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

BYU hasn't been in the Mountain West in over a decade.

And no, they don't recruit considerably better than the top of the Mountain West because they are a Mormon university.  Their recruiting ranks literally hover around #70 in the country.  As middle of the pack as it gets.  They'll land one, maybbbeee, two four stars a year due to their church connections.  But those are the highlights of their recruiting classes.  Most of their stars are just underrated three stars like Zach Wilson.

Did Zach get over drafted because all of the P5 conferences dropped non P5 games?  Yeah, he probably did.  But it wasn't through any fault of his own, or BYU's that they had to play that schedule.

You're right. BYU was independent until this year and still played a pussy ass, bitch schedule and that Marcy Darcy looking mither****er still never played a team better than many South Florida High Schools.

Good point. Zach is awesome.

• Haha 1

Just now, Jet_Engine1 said:

You're right. BYU was independent until this year and still played a pussy ass, bitch schedule and that Marcy Darcy looking mither****er still never played a team better than many South Florida High Schools.

Good point. Zach is awesome.

Never said Zach is awesome.

They had 5 P5 opponents scheduled for 2020 and they all backed out due to covid.  So.... it wasn't their fault they played that schedule.

He beat Tennessee and USC his Sophomore year in 2019.  Tennessee was on the road and it was a 4th quarter comeback and overtime win.  USC was also an overtime win.

How are their recruiting rankings compared to the powerhouse MWC recruiting of BYU?

200.gif
Serious question .. did Zack bag your mom or something? You seemed to have this mission hell bent on destroying the kid at all costs .. I've not seen anything like it since Leonardo DiCaprio in the Revenant.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Sympathy 1

48 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Serious question .. did Zack bag your mom or something? You seemed to have this mission hell bent on destroying the kid at all costs .. I've not seen anything like it since Leonardo DiCaprio in the Revenant.

The Jets drafted Rick Mirer 2.0....wait, no, thats not fair to Mirer. The Jets scouted this guy and drafted him #2 overall and then pretended it was the smart move after missing out on TL, and dude goes out and manages to embarass one of the worst, most unembarassable franchises in sports to the point that his own teammates are sh*tting on him during the season. ?  We dumped Darnold for a smaller, frail, inferior, weaker minded Darnold.... and stans still simp for him. But sure, its great.

Oh, and I guess Mom jokes on Dunnie are now open season. Yeah, my Mom, who had a debilitating stroke in 2013 and lost her husband of 55 years a couple of months ago ****ed Zach Wilson. Good one. Copy. @Maxman

• Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I feel like you were going for funny but missed the mark by a pretty wide margin.

The Jets drafted Rick Mirer 2.0....wait, no, thats not fair to Mirer. The Jets scouted this guy and drafted him #2 overall and then pretended it was the smart move after missing out on TL, and dude goes out and manages to embarass one of the worst, most unembarassable franchises in sports to the point that his own teammates are sh*tting on him during the season.   We dumped Darnold for a smaller, frail, inferior, weaker minded Darnold.... and stans still simp for him. But sure, its great.

Oh, and I guess Mom jokes on Dunnie are now open season. Yeah, my Mom, who had a debilitating stroke in 2013 and lost her husband of 55 years a couple of months ago ****ed Zach Wilson. Good one. Copy. [mention=5331]Maxman[/mention]

First of all, thanks for straightening me out on the mom joke that went bad ...

I'm really sorry to hear about you actual mom and her husband .... That is a tough one. Of course I was attempting to be snarky ... (You were on point [mention=5331]Maxman[/mention]) ... I've had enough tragedy in my life to have known better. If we ever meet IRL I'll buy you a few rounds and after having to listen to my story you can return the favor.

My main point is this .... Zach is a guy with extreme talent that was not ready to play. And by all accounts inadequatly prepared and coached.

"Gotta let Zach be Zach" is not coaching. Stripping down plays to the point where he is told to throw the ball to his first read only is not coaching. Not having a plan for practice is poor coaching.

It was not his fault where he was drafted. He is a young kid and unlike my poorly timed mom joke , I give young kids a pass for the occasional idiotic crapfire that they spew from time to time.

That kid has paid the price 10 times over for answering a sh*t question the wrong way.

The incessant kicking of this guy while he is down has sparked an irrational defensive emotional spark that I have a tough time putting aside. It is like the neverending drone of leaf blowers.

I would much rather see him succeed. He has been hammered since before he ever took a snap here.

Anyway ... Peace.. hope the coming year is a better one for you and yours.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 3/29/2023 at 9:26 AM, Flashlite80 said:

I will say that it is hard to know what a QB can do when the protection is lousy.  Jim Kelly was unstoppable until the Giants put pressure on in the Super Bowl.  Tom Brady was similarly human against the pass rush.  The Jets won a playoff game 42-3 against the great Peyton Manning because they had him under pressure all day.  

Sure but there's a middle ground where the OL is simply "bad/below average" and the QB figures out how to get the ball out quickly and/or make other adjustments.  Brady knew how to do that.  Peyton's ability to make pre-snap reads served him well later in his career.  Etc.

But one thing those guys never seemed to be was afraid of a pass rush like Zach Wilson clearly is.  Can that type of fight/flight response be fixed?  Seems doubtful.  That's lizard brain stuff.  @pointman

Hence why looking closely at the tape on plays where ZW experienced pressure in college should have been a priority.  And when that happened it should have been quite clear that this was a midround prospect, not a top-tier one.

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2023 at 10:59 AM, RAB said:

The Oline on this team was probably below average or perhaps even bad but it wasn't "trash" either.  Not at any point that season.

And when the OL was at its best (I.E. AVT being healthy), Wilson still didn't exactly impress under center.  At best he game managed, which is not what you look for out of a # 2 overall pick / future FQB.

13 hours ago, rtnelson said:

But it wasn't through any fault of his own, or BYU's that they had to play that schedule.

No, but it was Joe Douglas and the scouts' fault that they discounted the importance of schedule strength in the equation and clearly overlooked the red flags within the games where he struggled against higher-level competition.

Seems like they, and the other teams that had Wilson high on their boards, failed to look at the "big games" and say "OK, throw out the other games:  THIS is closer to what he's going to look like at the pro level.  Can we live with this?"

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, but it was Joe Douglas and the scouts' fault that they discounted the importance of schedule strength in the equation and clearly overlooked the red flags within the games where he struggled against higher-level competition.

Seems like they, and the other teams that had Wilson high on their boards, failed to look at the "big games" and say "OK, throw out the other games:  THIS is closer to what he's going to look like at the pro level.  Can we live with this?"

Absolutely granted.  I was mainly defending the fact that BYU isn't that strong of team as people are making them out to be.  Acting like it was big bad BYU vs little sisters of the poor.  There's like three other NFL players on that entire team and I don't think any of them are starters, and one is going to be a mid round draft pick this year.  BYU is a middle of the pack D1 college team that overachieves their recruitment rankings through solid coaching and discipline.

It's just weird to me that everyone agrees that where a QB gets drafted is a huge deal, then when one goes to a brand new OC, with a brand new QB coach, where people who know what to look for are constantly saying the offense as a whole is just, weird and out of sync. (Not solely based on QB play)  When that one QB fails it's completely some trait of the QB that could have been addressed or seen more during the draft.  To ingress a bit more, if Mahomes goes to the Texans, Josh Allen went to the Browns, or Lamar Jackson went to the Panthers there's a very good chance that we aren't speaking of them as the same players that we speak of them now.

Trevor Lawrence kinda looked like dog butt his rookie year.  He gets a better HC/OC and now he's on track again.

I grant everything.  Zach has sucked, it's not 100% on the OC or the Jets org.  But he's got the talent, and while the vote of confidence is rightly low low low, as of now he'll probably be the backup QB this upcoming season.  When we're trotting out a 40 year old QB, there's a decent chance he'll be needed in a few games this year so we'll have a chance to see if the new staff can turn over a new leaf with the kid. 

In hindsight we can look back at the tape and go "See!, I knew!"  You never really know.  Go watch Justin Herbert's Univ. of Washington tape and I'll show you a QB with glaring weaknesses in his game that shouldn't be drafted very high. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

It's just weird to me that everyone agrees that where a QB gets drafted is a huge deal, then when one goes to a brand new OC, with a brand new QB coach, where people who know what to look for are constantly saying the offense as a whole is just, weird and out of sync. (Not solely based on QB play)  When that one QB fails it's completely some trait of the QB that could have been addressed or seen more during the draft.  To ingress a bit more, if Mahomes goes to the Texans, Josh Allen went to the Browns, or Lamar Jackson went to the Panthers there's a very good chance that we aren't speaking of them as the same players that we speak of them now.

I mean, environment certainly matters, but if you think Pat Mahomes wouldn't be a special QB anywhere he went you're out of your mind.  Maybe he'd only be a top-10 QB rather than top-3/# 1 like he is in KC, but he clearly has gifts that can't be taught, and not the kinds we're talking about with Zach Wilson, the latter of which are purely the physical gifts.  

Meanwhile, top QB prospects tend to go to bad teams.  These teams taking QBs # 1 or # 2 overall aren't loaded rosters.  The Bengals weren't a good situation for Burrow until it suddenly was.  Trevor Lawrence was taken by a team with a sociopath HC who was kicking his own players.  It was "fixed" in year 2 but if that were the Jets who had hired Urban Meyer we'd have people talking right now about how Wilson got "ruined" in year 1 and never recovered.

Meanwhile, it goes both ways.  Just as you say that location matters and where a QB was taken matters, I can also point out many times an overdrafted QB gets chance after chance purely because he once was a highly thought of prospect and high pick.  Whereas there are several superior pro QBs who were late round picks that get shoved into backup roles.  Sometimes highly drafted QBs just suck and there's no fixing them.  Sometimes environment can only do so much.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, environment certainly matters, but if you think Pat Mahomes wouldn't be a special QB anywhere he went you're out of your mind.  Maybe he'd only be a top-10 QB rather than top-3/# 1 like he is in KC, but he clearly has gifts that can't be taught, and not the kinds we're talking about with Zach Wilson, the latter of which are purely the physical gifts.  

Meanwhile, top QB prospects tend to go to bad teams.  These teams taking QBs # 1 or # 2 overall aren't loaded rosters.  The Bengals weren't a good situation for Burrow until it suddenly was.  Trevor Lawrence was taken by a team with a sociopath HC who was kicking his own players.  It was "fixed" in year 2 but if that were the Jets who had hired Urban Meyer we'd have people talking right now about how Wilson got "ruined" in year 1 and never recovered.

Meanwhile, it goes both ways.  Just as you say that location matters and where a QB was taken matters, I can also point out many times an overdrafted QB gets chance after chance purely because he once was a highly thought of prospect and high pick.  Whereas there are several superior pro QBs who were late round picks that get shoved into backup roles.  Sometimes highly drafted QBs just suck and there's no fixing them.  Sometimes environment can only do so much.

Burrow had a good team, bad OL his rookie year.  The Bengals weren't an all time terrible team.  They tanked for the #1 pick.  Their org appears to be well run.

Yeah, Mahomes is absolutely great.  But how great would he have been if coming in to the league he was in a first year MLF offense?  His rookie year, not his second year after sitting behind a solid vet in an Andy Reid run offense.  First game as a rookie out he's getting pancaked to the ground by a 300 pounder 1.5 seconds after the snap bc the line can't pick up a stunt.

I honestly don't know the answer to that question.  Because it's literally like two chess prodigies, one studies under the best GM of all time, and the other under a high school English teacher who runs the chess club.

As much as it sounds like it, I'm not defending Zach's play.  Only that he's currently a Jet, and appears to have a chance to study from one of the best to ever do it with an OC who has led offenses well suited to a player of his "style".  It would not surprise me if he washes out, but it also wouldn't surprise me if the next time we see him in live action he appears to be a completely different player.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure but there's a middle ground where the OL is simply "bad/below average" and the QB figures out how to get the ball out quickly and/or make other adjustments.  Brady knew how to do that.  Peyton's ability to make pre-snap reads served him well later in his career.  Etc.

But one thing those guys never seemed to be was afraid of a pass rush like Zach Wilson clearly is.  Can that type of fight/flight response be fixed?  Seems doubtful.  That's lizard brain stuff.  @pointman

Hence why looking closely at the tape on plays where ZW experienced pressure in college should have been a priority.  And when that happened it should have been quite clear that this was a midround prospect, not a top-tier one.

I hate you. Also, you believe that the auto response for flight when under pressure is something coded in his nature that cannot be undone with nurturing? Do you believe all quarterbacks that stay in pocket are born that way? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, pointman said:

I hate you. Also, you believe that the auto response for flight when under pressure is something coded in his nature that cannot be undone with nurturing? Do you believe all quarterbacks that stay in pocket are born that way? 

There are absolutely elements of choosing flight vs fight and toughness that come down to genetics.  Or do you think anyone can, say, be trained into becoming a Navy Seal? 

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2023 at 4:30 AM, joewilly12 said:

I’m ok with JD he just isn’t good at selecting QB’s and kickers but Zeurlein is decent …. Keep the faith I guess … hope you are well. 

Settle down, Joe.  He's 0-1 with QB's taken who are expected to be good.  It happens.

On 3/28/2023 at 8:33 AM, Dunnie said:

I agree with all of this .. cept it was even worse .. at times he would bail .. do a 360 and try to run around the LEFT tackle.

Any way you slice it .. I want to give him more time to be sure it's not just a maturity or coaching thing... I want to see him get one more shot after sitting behind Rodgers.

It’s a bad marriage here and he needs to save himself by getting out. None of his coaches on offense has been around a QB development project in their careers, and Zach needs a lot of remedial work that he won’t get with this staff in place. I’m really surprised his people haven’t moved to get him out of here as yet. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There are absolutely elements of choosing flight vs fight and toughness that come down to genetics.  Or do you think anyone can, say, be trained into becoming a Navy Seal? 

I know this kid. Weak mentally, physically. A terrible human. Cheating, lying, stealing. His genetics made him inferior according to him, and the eyeball test. He one day decided to join Renzo Gracie's. He was still that soft bodied, inferior kid but his posture improved and so did his mentality. He later went on to become a Navy SEAL. How? Superior genetics? No. Nature? Most definitely not. Nurtured by many? 

You Got It Wink GIF by CBS

1 hour ago, pointman said:

I know this kid. Weak mentally, physically. A terrible human. Cheating, lying, stealing. His genetics made him inferior according to him, and the eyeball test. He one day decided to join Renzo Gracie's. He was still that soft bodied, inferior kid but his posture improved and so did his mentality. He later went on to become a Navy SEAL. How? Superior genetics? No. Nature? Most definitely not. Nurtured by many? 

You Got It Wink GIF by CBS

Would you call him the exception or the rule?

• 7 months later...
On 3/30/2023 at 9:49 PM, Dunnie said:

Was I wrong?

On 3/30/2023 at 11:30 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

go team nasa GIF

@bla bla bla

• Upvote 1