A Tale of two General Managers; Joe Douglas and Brian Gutekunst Address Rodgers Rumors at Owners Meeting

Joe Douglas

Jets GM Joe Douglas and Packers GM Brian Gutenkunst knew what was coming.  Attending the annual owners meeting in Phoenix, Arizona, each would be bombarded with questions from the media regarding what looks to be an inevitable trade between the two clubs.  It’s a move that will see the Jets land future Hall of Fame quarterback Aaron Rodgers, with the Packers receiving draft picks and possibly a player or two.  However, there was a noticeable difference in tone between the pair of GM’s.

During his session with the media, Douglas appeared calm and cool.  He said there was no rush or timetable to get a deal done for Rodgers.  He seemed so confident a deal would get done, that when asked if the Jets would be pursuing Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson, Douglas said that doing so would be in bad faith.  This, due to the fact that the Jets are clearly all in on Rodgers.

Jets GM Joe Douglas gives an update on the Aaron Rodgers trade situation and reacts to the possibility of acquiring Lamar Jackson https://t.co/HM5ahBcrrn pic.twitter.com/Mo2XC2vsRi

— New York Post Sports (@nypostsports) March 27, 2023

Meanwhile, Gutekunst met with the media and sounded as if he may have been laying the groundwork for what will eventually be a less than desirable outcome for Packers fans who believe Rodgers will command the sun, moon and the stars.  After weeks of insiders, pundits and fans insisting the price for Rodgers would be at least the Jets 13th pick in the draft, Gutekunnst threw some cold water on those hopes.  A first rounder would not be necessary according to the GM, whose language appeared to be hoping to lay the foundation for a soft landing.

Brian Gutekunst said he tried to contact Aaron Rodgers “many times” this offseason to discuss how he fit in the Packers’ future.

“Our inability to reach him or for him to respond in any way — I think at that point … I had to do my job.”

Full comments: pic.twitter.com/K8aGGdVhOn

— Matt Schneidman (@mattschneidman) March 27, 2023

In discussing the team’s relationship with Rodgers, the GM wanted Packers fans to know he made an effort to reach out to Rodgers, but were unable to get a call back from the QB.  That’s never a good sign.

That was followed by Gutekunst saying it was because of the lack of communication with Rodgers that he now has to “do his job”, putting the need for a deal squarely on Rodgers, presenting the fans with a view that suggests a deal isn’t his doing and he tried to patch things up with Rodgers before things got to this point.  None of this should be viewed as good news for Packers fans who were hoping to land multiple premium picks and a high-end young starter such as Jermaine Johnson.

When all is said and done, don’t be surprised if Douglas lands Rodgers for a 4th round pick in 2023 and a conditional pick in 2024 based on playing time, wins and/or post-season success of the Jets with Rodgers under center.

The post A Tale of two General Managers; Joe Douglas and Brian Gutekunst Address Rodgers Rumors at Owners Meeting appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

JD keeping everything close to the vest and meanwhile this moron GB gm just comes out today and says we’re not getting a 1st ??. JD really bout to fleece them bad, Packers fans don’t know what’s about to hit them

In the end, I'd expect JD will stick to whatever was originally sketched out.  Maybe there's some wiggle over the money, but this is the first moment I've felt optimistic this is coming to a reasonable conclusion in weeks.  Can't wait for the media doing massive spin when it finally hits, going back through all their tweets looking for the one that was closest to the outcome so they can claim victory.  Twitter is going to melt.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, AFJF said:

Also...

Joe D : We're in no hurry.   There is no time line.

Gutekunst: We want to get this done ASAP

Joe is just hangin' out and letting the Packers get closer to the day that they owe Rodgers $60 million.

I posted this in the merged AR thread, but curious on your take.

I wonder how actively Rodgers is involved, by way of his agent? I can see Rodgers wanting all 3 of those top 43 picks retained. He has a large say in how these negotiations transpire.

He could issue a statement that he is reconsidering his retirement and basically stall contracts negotiations past this years Draft then state afterwards that he will be showing up to GB OTA.

Better yet, he could say he will be reporting to camp on April 17th. Either way, he controls the narrative on behalf of the Jets

13 hours ago, AFJF said:

Also...

Joe D : We're in no hurry.   There is no time line.

Gutekunst: We want to get this done ASAP

Joe is just hangin' out and letting the Packers get closer to the day that they owe Rodgers $60 million.

Just like a real estate deal, the buyer can walk away at any time.

3 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Just like a real estate deal, the buyer can walk away at any time.

No one thinks the Jets are going to just walk. Technically they could, while GB can only keep Rodgers if they're going to ditch any/all ideas of ever beginning the Jordan Love era, and they may have to trade him to get anything to show for it.

Bigger issue is that Gutekunst doesn't want to lose Rodgers this year and fail to get anything to show for the trade until next year. By that time he could be fired, and any/all picks end up being chip(s) for his replacement to use.

14 hours ago, sciond said:

The main thing I noticed today is that no matter what JD and Saleh are smooth operators. We have waited a long time for professionals like these two to run the Jets. I hope they are successful.

You mean JD isn't going to sign LeVeon Bell for $1Billion a few minutes after Bell's rap album drops?

I am disappoint.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No one thinks the Jets are going to just walk. Technically they could, while GB can only keep Rodgers if they're going to ditch any/all ideas of ever beginning the Jordan Love era, and they may have to trade him to get anything to show for it.

Bigger issue is that Gutekunst doesn't want to lose Rodgers this year and fail to get anything to show for the trade until next year. By that time he could be fired, and any/all picks end up being chip(s) for his replacement to use.

There is an impasse between the GMs, and if Gutekunst doesn't trade Aaron this year, he won't make it to October.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, JetNation said:

None of this should be viewed as good news for Packers fans who were hoping to land multiple premium picks and a high-end young starter such as Jermaine Johnson.

When all is said and done, don’t be surprised if Douglas lands Rodgers for a 4th round pick in 2023 and a conditional pick in 2024 based on playing time, wins and/or post-season success of the Jets with Rodgers under center.

Full disclosure - I have not been following the Jets or the Rodgers situation as closely as I usually would these past few weeks.  A combination of just being busy and the sense that this would drag on for a while kept me from monitoring the day to day stream of tidbits and opinions.  But I have to ask, was Jermaine Johnson really under discussion as part of a trade package?  That would absolutely shock me.  And, the idea of a 4th + 2024 conditional pick sounds EXTREMELY low, even with the leverage the Jets have.  Do the Jets really have the Packers bent over a barrel that hard to arrange that type of trade compensation?

On 3/28/2023 at 2:06 PM, jetstream23 said:

Do the Jets really have the Packers bent over a barrel that hard to arrange that type of trade compensation?

What do you say the compensation would be for a guy turning 40? A guy that GB doesn't want anymore due to various issues, and is trying to move on from. The jets aren't trading for a young guy in his prime. He's a guy who could retire after this year. Remember, the Jets aren't bidding against anyone else either.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Watching Packer writers on twitter discuss leverage all day while their GM openly braces the fan base to lower expectations is great. 

I think Gute has handled the situation pretty well all in all. Douglas and Saleh kinda openly discussing Rodgers being their guy let’s you know the negations have a framework and probably have gone pretty well. They can take their time with all details. 

19 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Jet said:

Watching Packer writers on twitter discuss leverage all day while their GM openly braces the fan base to lower expectations is great. 

I think Gute has handled the situation pretty well all in all. Douglas and Saleh kinda openly discussing Rodgers being their guy let’s you know the negations have a framework and probably have gone pretty well. They can take their time with all details. 

First off… Big shout out to my home town of Bay Ridge!

Second… I hope this drags out to June 2. I want to keep our pics this draft.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I remember the Colts cutting Peyton Manning so that he could go elsewhere.  The Packers probably care more about the financial ramifications than the pick compensation. 

They feel like they don’t have to do right by him bc they’ve paid him nicely over 18 years and he’s left them hanging in the past. So doing right by Rodgers isn’t on their agenda.

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

They feel like they don’t have to do right by him bc they’ve paid him nicely over 18 years and he’s left them hanging in the past. So doing right by Rodgers isn’t on their agenda.

That is true, but they also have the added incentive that Rodgers doesn't necessarily want to do right by them and can screw their cap nine ways to Sunday.

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That is true, but they also have the added incentive that Rodgers doesn't necessarily want to do right by them and can screw their cap nine ways to Sunday.

It’s an odd situation. GB likes to play the card that he’s great and a HOF QB yet don’t want him anymore bc they need to move on and he’s been an issue. And think they deserve a ton for him.

Seems like it can’t be both as a realist.

How can he be trash and you’re done with him, yet also deserves a huge value back bc he’s great and a HOF QB.

This is where the disconnect is on the sides. GB is playing 2 sides