Which trade would be less stupid?

AFJF

Which trade would be less stupid?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the lesser of two evils

• Trading 2 1's for injury prone Lamar Jackson and sigh for $50 mil per year guaranteed
    • Give up two second-round picks for 1 year of Aaron Rodgers followed by two years of massive dead cap

27 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

bcf011d75f2f39acf22ebe0bfb9b21f7.jpg

Bring Lamar in in short yardage situations. Let Aaron Rodgers make all Hail Mary attempts and run the two minute offense. Bring Zach Wilson in when up by three or more scores. Saleh can use one of his precious rotations to keep all three QBs fresh for all other plays. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think offering Lamar 50 a year, gets him for 2 first round picks.  Lets say 4 year, 200 million guaranteed, and the Ravens just match it.  Considering the Russel Wilson price, they could get 4 first round picks for him, even if he's the highest paid QB.  They only have the tag on him because it's a negotiation tactic and he's in checkmate.  

Lamar is the choice for 2 firsts and the contract.  

Rodgers is the choice when the price of those picks keep moving up for Lamar.  

Rodgers > Jackson

Lower risk, shorter term, lower cost, lower need for change of the roster/system.

Rodgers is a 1-2 year attempt to make the postseason and buy time for JD and Co. to get Zach right or find another QB.

Jackson is a very high cost, long term investment in Jackson, with all that entails.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Rodgers > Jackson

Lower risk, shorter term, lower cost, lower need for change of the roster/system.

Rodgers is a 1-2 year attempt to make the postseason and buy time for JD and Co. to get Zach right or find another QB.

Jackson is a very high cost, long term investment in Jackson, with all that entails.

I like Lamar, but I have trouble getting past the deadly combination of multiple first round picks and the huge (guaranteed) contract. I think it's too much. If Lamar was an unrestricted free agent, I'd feel very differently. 

I reject the premise of the question.

You're essentially asking "is the Aaron Rodgers trade stupid if it doesn't work."

IMO, Rodgers contract will clearly be reworked and there's definitely a chance he's here for more than a year.

I prefer Rodgers to Jackson because you're 100% committed to Jackson for the foreseeable future and I'm skeptical of him as a talent and how he'll age. Even if Rodgers totally flames out here -- move on to the next.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I like Lamar, but I have trouble getting past the deadly combination of multiple first round picks and the huge (guaranteed) contract. I think it's too much. If Lamar was an unrestricted free agent, I'd feel very differently. 

Lamar is the kind of player you draft, where you have him for cheap(er) for five year, which is about the lifespan of a running QB before he starts to decline/degrade/injuries mount.

He's not likely the kind of guy you give a huge 2nd deal to keep long-term, for years 5-10 of his career.

Same logic as running backs, for much the same reasons.  They take too much abuse, and by year 6 of their career, their usually already in decline or soon will be.  Runners in the NFL, more than anyone, have limited career lengths due to the abuses they take.

And Lamar, for all his fans praise his untapped passing potential, is more a running back that can throw sometimes, than he is a QB who can run sometimes.

• Upvote 1

id take either and be ecstatic about it!

trade 2 #1 picks for a guaranteed MVP that is 26 yo at the most important position in the game????  We would have spent a higher #1 just to draft lamar so the additional #1 is the guarantee that he is a league MVP???? book it

rogers as a 2-3 year stop gap? OKAY!!!  AGAIN, MVP at the most important position.  He already said that he would restructure his contract so not worried about cap hit.